Talman TC420 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: Talman TC420

Purchased from: Ebay

Sounds great. I play what ever I feel like and this fits most of it, the pickups have Vintage output so don't expect a powerhouse of sound like a Super Distortion or something, mostly classic Strat and Les Paul type sounds. the pickups have a nice little "pop" to them like and overwound Strat. I am using a Carvin MTS 3200 with a Boss DD6, Line 6 Uber Metal (great pedal by the way)and a Morley Bad Horsie Wah, great setup.

This is a good match for all but the heaviest music, unless you put after market parts in it. I have been playing for nearly 5 years and I have a Jackson DK2+, US made Fender Strat, Ibanez RG/Jem555 Frankenstien and an Ibanez Talman TCM50VBS accoustic. amps are a Carvin MTS 3200, Roland Micro Cube and a Fender FM210R. Effects are various Boss pedals, Line 6 Uber metal and a Morley Bad Horsie Wha. I love this guitar, the finish and the sound, but most importantly the Body Shape. If I lost this somehow, I would do everything I can to get it back because these haven't been made since the mid 90's. I Wanted a Talman becuase I say Noodles of The Offspring play one and I love the shape and feel of these. With it had a better tremolo like a Wilkison or even a Floyd Rose but what it has now is good as long as you have locking tuners!

everything is fine with this guitar, even though it was made in Korea, it's built pretty well (as well as most Fenders) there is nothing that would make me think this wouldn't stand up when being put to the test. The only problem I have is the tuners which don't stay in tune for my style of playing (lots of bends)so I am going to replace them with Planet Waves Trim Locks, but besides that this thing is awesome!

Everything was fine with this one, almost mint condition and everything was set up pretty well. low action too, not as low as an RG or Jackson, but pretty low for a Strat type guitar, plays good too. barley any fret buzz at all. There was a tiny little ding in the neck but that will be gone after I sand off the sticky finish.

This guitar was made in the mid '90s in Korea, it has a solid basswood body with bolt-on maple neck/rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. 22 medium frets, 25.5 in scale, 12 inch radius, modified "Talman" body shape (Ibanez version of a Tele, I geuss) chrome green finish, Strat style 2 point tremolo, 2 Passave Ibanez Super 58 pickups with chrome covers, 3-way blade switch, master tone and volume controls. 3+3 Ibanez classic non-locking tuners. Came with a universal Vortex hardshell case.

stonyman65
    I would recomend a good tube amp. probobly Peavy tube amps would be your best bet. but any good tube amp would do. as for noodles, he uses a Talman TC 580 or something, the next model up. only difference is it had an added single coil in the middle. but it's still almost the same. if your jonesing for one of the old Duct Tape Models, I would just buy one of these off ebay for about $300-400 and make your own, you would be getting a lot better guitar that way, for cheaper too. Just mod it with locking tuners and a Tone Zone/PAF PRO and you will pretty much have the exact guitar he used back in the day.
    Kai07
    stonyman65
    Kai07 wrote: I have a different version of this guitar, which I'll write a review for as soon as I find the time. mine has a 5-way switch and and 3 lipstick style pickups, and is really beaufiful. :3 hi-five for getting a Talman though!
    thanks, Yeah, I think you have one of the MIJ ones. those are really hard to find.