XPT700 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: XPT700

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Busters

I use a Peavey Bandit 112 with a modded Ibanez TS-9 overdrive pedal. Mainly, I chose this guitar to play metal and its absolutely fantastic for it. But what surprised me is its ability to make such crisp clear sounds on the clean channel. These pickups are very versatile. I was able to reproduce some Hendrixy blues sounds on the clean channel and Megadeth metal sounds. I'm sure this guitar is capable of much more.

To put it simply, I am in love. This guitar looks as awesome as it sounds.

Definitely feels like a solid guitar when I'm holding it. I wouldn't dare drop mine but if someone did, I think it will survive. I would definitely use this for a gig without back up as the locking bridge keeps you from going out of tune even with dive-bombs and screeches. The finish is comparable to a pearlescent paint job on a car, but better.

Well, I bought mine used so it wasn't in as good a condition as it would have been if it were straight from the factory. I had to replace the internal springs as they had lost tension. Which means you have to readjust the tension on the bridge and that can take a while. I also had to raise the action on the tremolo bar as it was hitting the pickup switcher. Nothing a few turns of the screw wouldn't fix. As for the action of the guitar itself, it holds true to the Wizard necks, it is low and fast.

24 jumbo frets on bound rosewood with reverse shark-tooth inlay; Wizard III thru-neck; Chameleon finish; custom Mahogany body; Edge III locking bridge system; 2 Passive DiMarzio D Activator pickups; 1 volume knob; 1 tone knob; 3-way selector. Mine also came with a custom hard case, and some tools for adjusting the guitar. The chameleon finish changes color depending on the angle you look at the guitar. Personally, I like to rest my arm on the big spike at the bridge end when I'm not playing.

DoubleBassCrash
    Heavy Jerk wrote: i may think that bunch of reviewers are sent here by ibanez/or ar ibanez freaks so ppl could think this model is actually good. I dont know...
    The six string Xiphos are solid guitars, I've played them before, you can feel the quality. The seven string Xiphos however still need some work, the seven strings I tried felt like toys, that was a couple years ago, dunno how quality has changed on the ERG since then.
    rv_phoenix wrote: Bettencourteous wrote: I have an Ibanez S470 that is completely stock. I am also thinking of getting one of these. Is it worth getting from a sound/playability point of view? I obviously like the looks too but wondered how much better the pups are compared to the INF ones in my s470? Thanks... Well, it depends if you're a player that relies upon playing or someone interested about the looks. An S 470 is superior in any respect to X Series (all of them, made in Indonesia, btw). I don't think you can get something better by modding these guitars, the shape and the bolt-on construction altogether don't allow a good sustain. And wood is Basswood, if I'm not wrong. Not a good starting point for building a competitive weapon. You better go upwards, toward RG Series, there are some fantastic Metal axes there.
    Have you tried the late 70's & early 80's X series guitars? The basswood on those Made in Japan x series guitars are breathtaking, first time I ever liked basswood, badass guitars, dude. This is my humble opinion, but If you're gonna get an S Series, go Prestige, otherwise I wouldn't invest in an S, same with RG. Personally I don't buy any Ibanez unless it's Made in Japan, the Korean & Indonesian guitars are hit & miss. Kinda like buying an American Strat vs a Mexican Strat, if you got the cash, go American.
    jetwash69
    Lots of funny comments here. I've had a black one since 2008. Nowdays they have several Xiphos models including ones with bolt on necks, some with cheap pups, some with cheap wood, and some with hard tails. Those have different model numbers. But mine is an XPT700, like the reviews here are supposed to cover. It's made in Indonesia with the Edge III, and it's made of mahogany, not basswood. Nothing wrong with the Edge III if you know how to set up and handle a Floyd. I also have a Prestige and a Schecter with an LFR and have no problems with any of these trems. It doesn't matter that the locking nut makes it take longer to tune because the only time I ever have to tune it is while changing the strings. As long as I stretch the strings properly, it stays literally perfectly in tune until the next string change, regardless of how much whammy abuse it gets. If the temperature changes, then it needs a slight claw adjustment, but that's all. I did have to use shorter claw screws to get enough spring tension with Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings. Ibanez designs this and most of their guitars for 9s (according to their literature). If you want the Edge III to last, then don't adjust the action while the strings are under tension--that kills the knife edges, and isn't good for any 2-post style locking trem where you adjust the action with the posts. Mine's still going strong after 3 years + a year on the wall at the guitar store. It's just as good as my MIJ Prestige in almost every way--I only have 2 disappointments: - The cosmo black finish wears off the hardware almost immediately - The neck dives and I haven't found alternate mounting points that fix that yet My Schecter is a Standard Avenger, but I have a real SH-8 in the bridge and a Sustainiac in the neck. And I've played about half a dozen Syn Customs in stores. Yeah, the ebony fretboards are nice, and the fret access is a tiny bit better than the Standard, but with the same pups there isn't much difference. All I can say is if the Xiphos didn't equal the Syn, then either it wasn't an XPT700, or it was a really f-ed up one. The only reason I use my Avenger more than my Xiphos is the neck-diving issue.