XPT700 review by Ibanez

Ibanez: XPT700

Price paid: € 600

Purchased from: Local Distributer

This guitar was made in April, 2008, somewhere in Indonesia. The neck scale is 25.5 inches and it's made from maple, the fretboard is made from Rosewood. It has 24 frets and it's the Ibanez's special Wizard II design. The thin neck design, is my favorite thing about Ibanez (this isn't my first Ibanez) although, I fear that it has spoiled me too much, as I find it hard to play other guitars with different neck designs. //10

The body is made from Mahogany, which is great for musical instruments. The body mass is weird, because of the horns of the guitar, I define it as "equally massed," I have read, that this feature increases the sustain. //10

The finish is red chameleon, which is not usual for guitars. Although I wanted the blue chameleon, or the White version. This was the only option available. //8

Electronics, as usual two humbuckers, 3 way selector with tone and volume. It's a disease in eastern Europe countries to buy an Ibanez instruments, because usually you will need to re-wire every component. The soldering quality was terrible, but I was able to deal with it easily. Also found out, that these pickups (DiMarzio D-Activator) are coil-splittable, but I do not intend to make such a feature on this guitar, because the pickup sound is quite crunchy, and coil-split would just sound terrible//8

One of the most awesome of features was the included individual case. It's individual so it can only hold the Xiphos instruments, the case looks bad-ass, it can hold your basic accessories - tools, strap, extra strings, and a small bottle of whiskey, for those late night rehersals. //11

This guitar is absolutely metal. I tried every combination on my Vox AD50VT-XL amp, and the lowest gain and middle tone all the way up, with funked type, gave me a jazzy clean sound, as it was the cleanest thing i could get on this thing. I would not recommend this guitar as a gift to a pop-loving teenage girl, who wants to play some clean stuff. This is clearly a 110% metal guitar, which clearly is my kinda tone. I play melodic death, death and progressive metal. The C tuning works great on this guitar, as the low notes don't go "farted out." //metal/10

This is my first neck-trough body guitar. I previously owned a Ibanez RG370DX and I still own a heavily modified Squier Affinity Stratocaster. The Squier is completely other category, with bulky neck design, and clean tones, so i can't compare it. But the RG Ibanez, had those edgy INF pickups, which in my personal opinion are DiMarzio forgery. The RG's sustain was decent, compared to the XPT700, which has a superior sustain. The only thing that RG had better, was the middle single-coil pickup.//9

"Oh, this is bad," where my first words, when I played the guitar for about a hour. The setup was low, great for fast playing, together with the useless Edge III. I had the keys and limited knowledge of guitar setup, so I configured the neck a little higher. The result was acceptable, there were no more fret buzz, and the strings had more tension in to them. // 6

I can't give any opinion on the pickup height, but I moved them closer to the strings, to give some extra punch. // -/10

Ah, we now go to the bridge. When I had my RG370DX with the same Edge III bridge, it had a LOT of problems. Eventually I broke one of the saddles, the single broken saddle cost me a new EDGE type system, because the lack of spare parts on the internet (at the time). Given that, the first thing I did, I removed the plastic back-panel, and threw it away, because it messes with the sustain. Then I blocked the tremolo with some wood. I really like to rest my arm on the tremolo, so I like Floyd's, Vintage trems, etc., but I will certainly, never have dive-bombing instead of balanced tuning. // Blocked - 9, unblocked - 2 = 6

This guitar is semi-pro/pro level instrument. I have seen a pair of local bands guitarists use these instruments. When playing on a amp stack like live or jamming with friends, this instrument will never, ever, ever fail you. Since the tremolo is blocked, and the upper nut is locked, i don't worry about this guitar going out of tune. //11/10

The strap buttons are weirdly placed. This is easily avoidable, by using those big-a-s leather straps with strap-locks. //8

The finish is somewhat magic to me. I have had a lot of guitars, but Ibanez finish is just incomprehensible to me. My Squier manages to get scratches, just by looking at it the wrong way. I used to have a Yamaha bass, and this one time, i forgot to close zipper on my jacket, and i had a crazy "artwork" after the jam with friends. XPT700 as well as the RG370DX, with no doubt are finished in some satanic magic, once i had a photo-session with my friend, and she hit one of the fins against concrete, A CONCRETE, there were little marks left, as I polished it, the scratches were even gone. Black magic, my friends. //11/10

Metal, rock, maybe jazz, definitely blues, but most of all - METAL. I have been playing, for about 3 years now, and this is where my guitar search ends, this is the real deal. I mean, I could write about my past guitars, but I didn't like them. The 2014 was great year, since I bought the XPT700 masterpiece and Vox AD50VT-XL, these two things are here to stay, and I can proudly call them my gear. Although I always wanted a Les Paul Pro.

I have wrote down the serial code, and placed the documents in a safe place, in case the thing gets stolen and wind up in a Pawn Shop. I hope nothing bad ever happens to it, because the product is discontinued, and was on sale. So I will never find such a great instrument at such a low price. Since I was a kid, I wanted to play rough, and I have played a lot of guitar types and brands. The only ones that I liked were, ESP, Gibson-Epiphone and Ibanez, so this instrument made me stop, to where I am now.

I would really recommend this guitar for anyone who plays something heavier than grunge. The action isn't great, but I guess, nothing is perfect.