XPT707FX review by Ibanez

Ibanez: XPT707FX

Purchased from: Wentworth Music

I play mostly thrash metal, death metal, and hardcore music, and the odd grindcore influence and it fits them all very well for the combination of these that the music I make is. I use a Kustom-quad amp with a Zoom G7.1UT effects processor and a DigiTech distortion pedal with a Boss NS-2 and it does the trick, but I plan on purchasing a Mesa Boogie Rectifier for some real good crushing tone and ditching the noisey distortion boxes. I have played the guitar through a Fender EVH III and a Marshall Kerry King Signature and the tone was amazing. The guitar is very punchy and the note-definition is amazing, I get next-to no noise from this guitar, and with noise supressor's and all, so feed-back is damn near non-existant. The guitar does great if you're a metal player or hardcore styled player, and the cleans I can get through the using both pickups at the same time (middle-position on the 3-way toggle) is Amazing with chorus, and works very well for cleans, crunchy rock if needed, but I do have to say this guitar is made as a metal machine, because of the looks and the sound compliments them, so I wouldn't imagine throwin some cold-play on with this guitar, but if you're into heavier music styles on a 7 string, this is definantly something to check out.

Again as I said, the genre of music I play would be classified as deathcore, thrashcore, and grindcore with tons of other influences (Meshuggah, Nevermore, Unearth, etc.) and this matches it better than any other 7 string Ibanez on the market. I wish I had a better amp before this guitar to give it better justice, but that'll be happening in all due time. I Love damn near everything about the guitar from the neck-thru feel, 24 frets, to the finish, I just feel I was meant to buy it. If anybody stole this guitar from me, I'd break their legs and spit in their mouths.

This guitar imo was built to be played Live for the looks and mean tone from this guitar, and the hardware seems fine, and I have no problems with it, but if for whatever reason they get worn down, I'll just replace them with some high-quality locking tuners. The strap-button placement on the guitar that the factory was ridiculous, and after trying out the feel of it, the neck-heaviness was out of this world, and I was really displeased at this. But after re-aligning the button placement under the top horn and near the input jack, it was so much better, I couldn't believe it. It just changed so much from such a simple change. I'm going to depend on this guitar for live use for sure, and I will have my S7320 there for some songs, and this for the more br00tal songs. The finish is amazing to look at in good lighting, and it seems very well done, and I doubt it will wear away. To anybody buying this guitar, make sure to change the placement of the strap-buttons, this will make this guitar change dramatically for the better.

The set-up of the guitar at the factory was good, the action is great for me, but the pickup adjustment wasn't anything special, and needed a bit of tweaking to make things better. The finish is great IMO, and I have yet to find any flaws from the build-quality other than a bit of binding roughness, but it looks fine unless you basically put your face 3 inches away from the headstock to take a good enough look. The only minor flaw was the neck pickup placement, which was a little over so that the high E string was not above the magnet, but it did not affect the sound of the string at all, and again, nobody's about to notice it unless somebody tells them. The guitar contains No flaws as far as I've had the guitar, and I've given up searching for any because I believe that there just aren't any on this guitar!

This is a 2008 7-string xiphos model made in Indonesia and I have to say I'm amazed at the craftsmanship that was produced from an Indonesian builder, seeing as the stereotype is that guitars built in Indonesia, but apparently that's not the case! This is the first neck-thru 7 Ibanez has released to the public, and as far as I know I am the first to own one in Canada (I've owned it for over a month now. It has 24 frets on a rosewood fretboard on a 5 piece maple neck (neck-thru). It has mahogany wings on the 5 piece walnut/maple neck-thru design, with a new Ibanez style fixed string through, based between Mike Mushok's fixed bridge and a Tune-O-Matic, and though it doesn't look very arousing, it feels very nice to grip down for the palm-mutes, and doesn't poke, or stab at the palm of your hand. It came stock with 2 passive DiMarzio D-Activator pickups, which I personally do not mind, but I know that there are better pickups out there. It has a single volume/tone and 3-way pickup selector switch for the 2 humbucker configuration. Non-locking tuners that stay in tune very well. Came with 2 alan keys, and hard-case.

bowen
    Viking_Swede666 wrote: I noticced that the 7th string was alot looser than the rest...was it just the guitar? or are 7-strings usually like that? I don't play them often.
    It comes stock with a 54 for the low B according to the manual, and I wasn't liking it at all either. I just switched it to a 59, and problems were solved!
    Resurrected22
    yeah i got this guitar a month or so ago. this thing freaking rocks. i cant believe how bad this thing blows my prestige RGA321 out of the water for nearly the same price. i paid 899 w/ case. the pickups rock and the sound and action is beyond amazing. the strap buttons are crap though because it makes your neck dive. i dont think there is a confortable way playing this with a strap without sitting lol. this thing shreds.
    jessejames1414
    I was playing this the other day and I was skeptical about the pickups but they're really sweet. The neck is comfortable too and doesn't feel awkward when you hold it.
    thenikes
    GuitarPlayer716 wrote: Eh, I'd be hesitant with this one, I've never known an Ibanez that didn't have a crap load of problems.
    i have two ibanez's, never had any problem, don't know what your playing
    richard_edwards
    filthylittleboy wrote: imo it's a kind of sketch body style, I much prefer the super strat body style. Is it a wizard III neck? wizard necks are the best feature for ibanez
    It'd most likely be the wizard II-7.
    JuiceDethMaster
    Hanrahan
    I have a couple Ibanez, never had a problem. One is ten years old, the other is one.
    filthylittleboy
    sambargun
    This is an awesome guitar. Mahogany body, neck through, the pickups are passive Dimarzios. There's a piece on youtube about the Ibanez Xiphos story.....
    Ibzman
    I have two Ibanez that are maybe 10-15 yrs old and never had any problem with them.
    Gopher1409
    JuiceDethMaster wrote: ive have an ibanez S470DXQM (the same guitar as the queer in Dragonforce)
    Hahahaha!!
    TiDyCaTT900
    my freind was going to get this but instead opted for a dean..mistake. LOL on the queer in Dragonforce.
    kingofdudes161
    neither of the queers from dragonforce have used the S470DXQM... check their website or wikipedia or w/e and ull see what gear they use, now they use their signature guitars from Ibanez, and before that they used different ones, higher end than the S470DXQM
    Tedward
    a sunburst stoptail Xiphos would be welcome in my household. ibanez is bullshit when it comes to features. It either Edge 3 and everything else you want, or shitty fixed bridge and one of 8 different colours of blacks. I dont think they need 80 different RGs that are different colour.
    GuitarPlayer716
    henkka_potku
    JuiceDethMaster wrote: i like the shape its like chuck schuldiner's (DEATH) and.. wtf are you saying you havent seen any ibanez's without problems?? ive have an ibanez S470DXQM (the same guitar as the queer in Dragonforce) for over a year and its worked perfectly the whole time and it sounds great and it has a great floyd rose on the bridge.. its pretty sweet.. no problems there.
    well, Muhammed Suicmez plays Xiphos. I think that's enough
    blakiss
    Crap Load...? I have a RG7321 and the only problem is my 21st fret on my 1st string. If I bend up the note won't sustain. So I just avoid that fret in my playing. What crap loads of problems have you had with yours? or do you even have one? are you just talking shit about something you dont have?
    Viking_Swede666
    **** yeah, I played that exact guitar at the NAMM show this year, it sounds and plays pretty well, but I noticced that the 7th string was alot looser than the rest...was it just the guitar? or are 7-strings usually like that? I don't play them often.
    Shinozoku
    inspir3 wrote: It came out way before the warrior mate, under a different name. =) Incredibly ugly guitar, the 6 string version is amazing for the price though.
    First was the BC Rich Stealth,then a couple of Ibanez's that were different than this, then the Jackson Warrior, and now this, the Xiphos.
    inspir3
    Shade7777
    Does it still have the stupid strap button placement which makes the guitar neck dive like my XPT700 Xiphos? Had to let the shop drill a new hole in it...
    SenorBill
    I have a 6 string version of the xiphos but i think it would be sick with a fixed bridge like on the 7 string version....i have to try one of these things.
    Heat-13
    hmm looks pretty good but i reckon the s7320 is better as a 7string, the xyphos works better as a 6string i reckon + this one has no trem
    DeanMarkleysDad
    looks like something a caveman would use to go hunt dinner like 10 thousand years ago, probly shreds tho