Dark Destroyer review by Indie

Indie: Dark Destroyer

Purchased from: ebay

I play classic rock/metal in a band. This guitar suits me perfectly, the tone is to die for. Not quite as thick as a les paul, but, it has more of a growl which is what atrracted me to it. Great sound though makes me sound like a guitar god! I use it through a Fender Stage 1000, For effects I have: a EH Metal Muff; Dunlop Crybaby and a Rocktron Talkbox. And it's excellent through the muff's distortion. I personally preferred my old guitar's sound through the crybaby at first, but, the SG's wah sound has grown on me. This guitar isn't noisy at all, it has a lovly rich dark sound. you can get a great bluesy sound in the neck with the tone down and an excellent gain- seething in your face tone in the bridge with the tone on. I love this guitars sound and havn't heard better for my style. Well not for A LOT more money.

This is my perfect guitar. I wanted one of these since I started playing I about 2 years ago. It suits my style of music excellently and I think it completely personifies me. It's a loud, in your face, stand out from the crowd, guitar. Although latly it's being associated with loads of emo bands, I was always think of it as the 1980's lead guitarist's dream guitar. I didn't really compare this with any others as the only other option was a Gibson standard. I couldn't get hold of one and they are 200 more. Oh by the way, the RRP for this guitar is 600 but, mine was slashed to half price at a shop. However, I was at the time saving up the full 600 to buy it, please note I didn't buy this because it was 300 I would have happily have payed 600 for it. I also recently found out, these don't fit into standard SG cases as the neck joins in a different place? This is what I got told anyway, I haven't checked it out yet. I don't really use the actives or coil tap just because; with my luck I would bet on the battery runnning out on the actives when I need it most. And I don't use the coil tap because, well, why play through a coil tapped humbucker when you could be rocking out with all your gain on in the humbucker mode? I do like the fact they are there though, it's nice to know. And, I'm sure I will use the coil tap more as I progress and have more "single coil moments". I did wish it had a locking trem when I bought it as I was really into that, but, now I just think how that would ruin the whole look. So no there's nothing else I wish it had. Supurb guitar I'm glad I got one before they stopped making them.

This guitar seems very soild, although SGs and quite thin. I have gigged it without a back up and it was perfect, nothing went wrong. The strap buttons were a bitch to get out and moove so I'd say they we very solid. The finish is dented a bit by my belt buckle but none has chipped at all or came off. I'm quite surprised. It's gotta have another 10!

I did want this is cherry, but, in the end I saw it on ebay for half price so I got it in the dark burst. And it's grown on me loads, I haven't met anyone with one of these before and I'm sure in a few years they'll be rare as they are now discontinued. So having a more distintive paint job is worth it. It was setup with 9's with a reasonably low action, but, it could go lower. The pickups are where I would have them I guess. The front strap button is in an annoying place as with every SG! So, I changed them for strap locks and relocated the neck one to the back of the top horn. Everything else was fine this guitar, it's perfect! But I'm giving it a 9 for the fact that even though it is amazing and the humbuckers are excellent and it has actives, blah, blah they still didn't mange to think about putting the strap button in a less awkward place.

This is an SG copy and a very good one! I'm assured my everyone who knows about these that they are better than Gibson Standards. It was made 2006 I think, in the UK. It has 22 frets, solid top. It's made of mahogany; of course; and is finished in what Indie call a dark burst. It is like a yellowish, natural, translucent colour that fades to translucent black. This guitar has actives and a coil tap as standard, which may I add, the Gibsons do not. It has a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge and the same old two tone, two volume controls. It is fitted with two Indie Extreme humbuckers the highest spec humbucker they make. This also comes with Grover tuners! Which I love, the best guitar I've played for staying in tune (not including locking trems).

Donkey Fly
    Nice guitar but im not really familiar with Indie....Seems to be a manufacturer that rips off other guitar manufacturers.
    eggy1991
    dude, you have to be kidding! www.indieguitars.co.uk < check that out, such good instruments. they do have copys, but as do almost every company these days, i mean you see Ibanez copying the PRS now... Indie are a company that have their own line, the obvious like strats and Les Pauls and a new amplification line, which i must say are awesome, i use an Indie SG (custom made with bigsby tremolo arm) and the indie sky 10 amp. trust me, i prefer my SG to my friends Gibson SG, its a tad lighter and a bit better for playability. oh, if anyone wants one of these, they were one of 8, and the shop in my local town has the last one! its an immense guitar.
    Indiemike
    jamesdjharrod
    and PRS just rip off the Les Paul double cut and Hamer Sunburst
    I Prophecy I
    i have this guitar and its a monster, i played my mtes Gibson SG and this is sooo much better.
    Notmewtwoguitar
    @ The oerson ho said they just make copies: Obviously this would be an issue if the guitars themselves weren't good - but the guitars match, if not out perform the guitar they have copied. Furthermore the price, in the UK, is amazing value - normally British people seem to have to pay a big premium on guitars compared with the exchange rate in America but with Indie a les paul copy is a quarter of the price - for something just as good!
    whencowsfart101
    Indiemike wrote: Hi Mate My Name is Indie Mike and Indie still Makes this Model They call it The Indie ISG and you can Buy one from Me at www.indieguitars.com.au if you are in Australia. Your Right it is a Balltearer of a Guitar ,perhaps the besat Indie Makes. Gibson dosent come close to The ISG Cheers Mate Indie Guitars Rule
    This might just be me being a bit presumptious, but do you work for Indie guitars?
    Yayo.Eric
    the whole idea behind indie is that they can make guitars that play and feel just as good as big name models for good prices. they want to help the regular musician
    sopazs
    just ordered one of these on monday; should be at the guitar shop tonight or tomorrow... can't wait!
    sopazs
    just got this thing in yesterday; plays great! will be posting a review once I have had it a few months