Dark Destroyer Review

manufacturer: Indie date: 08/17/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Indie: Dark Destroyer
This is a definate must for the hardest of hard rockers! With switchable "monster" active pickups and coil tap, and as this is only 1 of 20, this guitar has to be is the mother of all.
 8.3
 9.6
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Dark Destroyer Reviewed by: freemind12, on august 17, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This is an SG copy and a very good one! I'm assured my everyone who knows about these that they are better than Gibson Standards. It was made 2006 I think, in the UK. It has 22 frets, solid top. It's made of mahogany; of course; and is finished in what Indie call a dark burst. It is like a yellowish, natural, translucent colour that fades to translucent black. This guitar has actives and a coil tap as standard, which may I add, the Gibsons do not. It has a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge and the same old two tone, two volume controls. It is fitted with two Indie Extreme humbuckers the highest spec humbucker they make. This also comes with Grover tuners! Which I love, the best guitar I've played for staying in tune (not including locking trems). // 10

Sound: I play classic rock/metal in a band. This guitar suits me perfectly, the tone is to die for. Not quite as thick as a les paul, but, it has more of a growl which is what atrracted me to it. Great sound though makes me sound like a guitar god! I use it through a Fender Stage 1000, For effects I have: a EH Metal Muff; Dunlop Crybaby and a Rocktron Talkbox. And it's excellent through the muff's distortion. I personally preferred my old guitar's sound through the crybaby at first, but, the SG's wah sound has grown on me. This guitar isn't noisy at all, it has a lovly rich dark sound. you can get a great bluesy sound in the neck with the tone down and an excellent gain- seething in your face tone in the bridge with the tone on. I love this guitars sound and havn't heard better for my style. Well not for A LOT more money. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I did want this is cherry, but, in the end I saw it on ebay for half price so I got it in the dark burst. And it's grown on me loads, I haven't met anyone with one of these before and I'm sure in a few years they'll be rare as they are now discontinued. So having a more distintive paint job is worth it. It was setup with 9's with a reasonably low action, but, it could go lower. The pickups are where I would have them I guess. The front strap button is in an annoying place as with every SG! So, I changed them for strap locks and relocated the neck one to the back of the top horn. Everything else was fine this guitar, it's perfect! But I'm giving it a 9 for the fact that even though it is amazing and the humbuckers are excellent and it has actives, blah, blah they still didn't mange to think about putting the strap button in a less awkward place. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very soild, although SGs and quite thin. I have gigged it without a back up and it was perfect, nothing went wrong. The strap buttons were a bitch to get out and moove so I'd say they we very solid. The finish is dented a bit by my belt buckle but none has chipped at all or came off. I'm quite surprised. It's gotta have another 10! // 10

Overall Impression: This is my perfect guitar. I wanted one of these since I started playing I about 2 years ago. It suits my style of music excellently and I think it completely personifies me. It's a loud, in your face, stand out from the crowd, guitar. Although latly it's being associated with loads of emo bands, I was always think of it as the 1980's lead guitarist's dream guitar. I didn't really compare this with any others as the only other option was a Gibson standard. I couldn't get hold of one and they are 200 more. Oh by the way, the RRP for this guitar is 600 but, mine was slashed to half price at a shop. However, I was at the time saving up the full 600 to buy it, please note I didn't buy this because it was 300 I would have happily have payed 600 for it. I also recently found out, these don't fit into standard SG cases as the neck joins in a different place? This is what I got told anyway, I haven't checked it out yet. I don't really use the actives or coil tap just because; with my luck I would bet on the battery runnning out on the actives when I need it most. And I don't use the coil tap because, well, why play through a coil tapped humbucker when you could be rocking out with all your gain on in the humbucker mode? I do like the fact they are there though, it's nice to know. And, I'm sure I will use the coil tap more as I progress and have more "single coil moments". I did wish it had a locking trem when I bought it as I was really into that, but, now I just think how that would ruin the whole look. So no there's nothing else I wish it had. Supurb guitar I'm glad I got one before they stopped making them. // 9

Comments