IRK500 review by Indie

Indie: IRK500

This guitar is brilliant. Being semi-hollow body, it is louder than most electrics when played acoustically, and sounds great. It can do a wide range of musical styles: of course, the classic sixties sound, to rock to blues. This guitar leans more to rhythm than to solos, and is not suited to shredding at all, but it can deliver toneful solos and licks. As far as I can tell, there is little noise. The sound is naturally bright and jangly, but is versatile. You can change the entire sound by simply upping the gain or mixing the pickups in a different way. I like this guitar, very much.

I've not been playing too long, since October 2005 so just over half a year. I'm told I'm good by friends, but they're not the most critical audience. I've had this guitar for about three months. If my guitar was stolen, I'd buy the same again. I love its sound, its ease to play, its set-up, its appearance and its value for money. There's nothing I hate. I was not sure what guitar I wanted when I went to try them out. I chose this guitar over many others: an Indie style, an Indie SG copy, a Mexican Fender Strat, an Crafter Jazz-style, a Brunswick acoustic, an Indie Style Active and a Takamine acoustic. The guitars which came close were: the SG copy, just didn't seem as special as the IRK500. the Indie Style Active, this was stunning, hand-carved decoration and immense sound but a bit too expensive (when I buy another guitar, this will be it). the Takamine - played like a dream, but I decided to go for electric. Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to find a case, but then again, I haven't looked properly. I'd also like to say that I have not played the Rickenbacker 330 this is based on, so don't form an opinion that this is any better or worse than that. Overall, I am entirely satsified by this guitar, and would recommend it to anyone.

I don't gig with it, so it has stayed at home all the time. That is not to say I have not been playing it for long durations of time, and as far as I can tell, it could easily withstand rougher treatment. The strap buttons are solid and large, so there is no worry about the strap falling off. It holds its tuning well. Having not actually gigged, I can't give it 10/10.

The set-up was brilliant. The supplier to the shop where I bought it (Harmony Music in Dorchester, Dorset) sets up every single guitar. As Indie are still a relatively new they are devoted to customer satisfaction. The intonation was near-perfect. My only problems was the bridge: two of the strings sat too close together. I emailed the shop, Who said to bring it in for the supplier to have a look at. They were happy to give me an entirely new guitar, if I wanted, so they could sort out the problem.

Writing this review, it is being judged in comparison to a Parker P-38, and a David Oddy acoustic, stiff competition. This guitar is essentially a copy of a Rickenbacker 330. I'm pretty certain my guitar was built in Korea in 2005. There are 24 frets along the rosewood fretboard. The neck is maple (set-in) and the body is semi-hollow alder. It pickups are 'toaster-tops', there are two (volume and tone controls for both), and a 3-way pickup selector. I got it in Fireglow finish, and it is stunningly well finished, gloss, I believe. It does scratch easily (as in tiny, tiny marks) so I would recommend definiately using a microfibre cloth. The bridge is basically the Rickenbacker, without the logo, I had some problems with the bridge on mine, which I will go into later. The guitar came with no accessories, and unfortunately I haven't yet found a suitable case, due to its wide body. In the 350 I paid, I got a strap and a stand thrown in, more than happy, due to it's 420 RRP.

Kain_Doom01
    That is the ugliest guitar XD Rickenbackers arn't REALLY good....but hey, they did start the Who's smashing thing because their accoustics sucked XD