Sun Extreme Custom Review

manufacturer: Indie date: 05/11/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Indie: Sun Extreme Custom
This guitar I have to say is seriously diverse so it really suits my needs. A total of six settings with both single coil and humbucker, give many different tones. For all the styles of music I play, I use this guitar. It's versatile and durable.
 7.6
 8.2
 6.9
 2,059
review (1) pictures (2) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Sun Extreme Custom Reviewed by: Conf66, on may 11, 2012

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: Blackburst Model. I bought this guitar second hand, though it was in perfect condition. It was a few years old when I got it, it originally cost about 1000euro. It has 22 frets. String go through the body for added sustain. It has the Indie shape body, double cutaway. It has a quilted maple top, and a binding all around the body and fretboard. One distinctive feature is the sun decal on the 12th fret of the fretboard which is the only fretmarker. 2 Humbucking pickups, which simple controls, 3 way selector. It has a coil tap as well, also a tone knob. Gibson style Tune-o-matic Bridge, and grover tuneing knobs. // 8

Sound: I have a diverse music style. I used to be in a metal band, now I play In Rock/indie. I play it to emphasize acoustic singer/songwriter sets as well. I play acoustic mainly but I needed a great sounding electric. This guitar I have to say is seriously diverse so it really suits my needs. A total of six settings (Bridge, middle, and neck pickups) with both single coil and humbucker, give many different tones. The clean sound was what I was looking for, as I feel distortion can be got cia good pedals, but I really like this. It ranges from warm and bassy, to crisp, bright, great clean sounds can be gotten. The distortion is good, not as heavy as my other guitar (an Ibanez) but I do not see that as a bad thing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I recieved it was a little high- (I'm no beginner, but I suppose I'm comparing it to my Ibanez here and that's a little unfair!) But I did have it taken down. Tune-o-matic bridge makes for easy adjustments too. The intonation and pickups were good, no complaints there. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played a few gigs with this now, and it is a durable, versatile guitar. Starp buttons solid. The quilted maple top is very durable, as well as being beautiful to look at. The hardware all over the guitar is built to last, I happily use this guitar at gigs. // 9

Overall Impression: For all the styles of music I play, I use this guitar. It's versatile and durable. Indie are not a well known name in guitars (yet) but they used to build guitars for other well known companies. That expertise shows. This is not a starter guitar, the whole thing has an air of quality. I am not a beginner, playing about 6 years now, and I am very happy with this guitar. The action could have been lower when I got it, but I got it second hand so that might have been a personal preference from the guy before me. Esthetically, this guitar is gorgeous. I love the inlay, and the binding, its striking. I love Strats, but if you ever want a great guitar that really holds up, and is a little more "original" without going overboard, go for one of these. If I lost, yeah I'd buy another. For sound reviews, check YouTube, I have seen there are a few up there. Peace! // 9

Comments