IGP04A review by ION

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
ION: IGP04A

Purchased from: Fingerhut Magazine

The sound on the guitar is actually not too bad believe it or not, it's just the amp that messes with it. I play most styles of rock on the guitar along with a Line 6 Spider 3 amp and it sounds pretty badass with any setting on the amp. The amp it comes with is like I said before, shity. Sounds alright I guess if you like clean alot. People say that it gets dirtier when you turn it up loud but I never did for mine and I've turned it all the way so idk. It does get a lot of feedback at high levels if you don't know how to work the pickups too good.

I play every style of rock and country and the guitar sounds decent for that. I've been playing for 2 years now. When this came in the mail, I saw the pitch pipe and thought "what the hell is this" so I threw it away. The strap is shit too so I bought a nicer one the next day. I got this for the single reason that I don't have $. I mean, obviously if I had more $, I would have gotten a pricier pack but I still play with the same guitar since I got it and it sounds better than ever today. As for the amp it came with, I bought some Behringer effects for it and it worked fine. Then one day I got the $ to buy a Line 6 Spider 3 amp so I took apart the old amp and turned it into a piggybank. If you get this pack, buy a better amp. The guitar is fine.

I don't see how this guitar couldnt handle Live playing. The amp and guitar are surprisingly rugged. I dropped the guitar of my roof and it still played fine (but I wouldn't recommend doing that). The hardware and electronics don't show any sign of wearing so far. The strap buttons aren't good tho. I feel fine playing the guitar Live and I wouldn't worry too much about having a backup. But I wouldn't want to play Live with the amp. The finish stays just as long as you don't f--k around with it too much like I did.

It was fine when it came in the mail. I never even adjusted the pickups until about a year after I got it. The guitar didn't have any visual flaws at all. It look really nice with the finish. The tuning pegs were kinda loose on mine but easy to fix. Action was fine for me. I haven't had to mess with the truss rod at all. The amp was fine as far as flaws go.

I got this guitar pack being my first one. As you can see, it's a Strat styled maple guitar with a brown sunburst color and a rosewood bolt on neck. Has 22 frets and 3 single-coil pickups. It's a "string through body bridge". 1 volume, 2 tone knobs, and 5-way pickup selector on it. Since it's a package deal, it has some stuff to get you started out alright (gig bag, strap, cable, adjustment tools, picks, and a pitch pipe). The amp pretty much sucks. If you look on it, it even says "acoustic amplifier" on it. It has master volume and equalization (treble, mid, bass) knobs on it. It has no gain on it at all (which almost takes away the whole point why people bought an electric guitar in the first place). It doesn't go to loud obviously because it only a 10 watt.

ESPM100
    This was my first guitar, and I played it for about 2 years until my mind finally kicked in and said "man, i need a new guitar" so i bought a ESP LTD M-100 FM im not to happy even with the esp, thats a hole different story, but this is a ION review so... Yeah, if anyones starting out (never played before, looking for a guitar to buy) I would recomend this one. It is cheap and if you start playing and decide not to stick with it, and wont be a big deal because its so cheap, and so junk. But alls i know is that this guitar makes great firewood!
    Nick 101
    This was my first guitar, and its completely crap. low quality strings...had to keep getting repaired...I got a Stagg H300 not and i've never had any problems with it.
    Tanman0725
    This guitar is a real piece of shit, i have it, and when i compare it to my les paul custom, its a real shit. i would only tell someone to buy it if they're a beginner.
    MaggaraMarine
    [.Malice.] wrote: Pay no attention to the wierd asshats. I got a friend of mine, who's been playing for 5 years to give this one a shot. ( I own it, but I suck. ) He twisted some knobs and fixed some shit I screwed up and he made it sound golden. Hell, he said it played better than he expected, especially for a beginning guitar. If you suck at playing guitar, then, ironically, this is not the guitar for you. If you're sort of ok, this'll be your axe for as long as you want it.
    This is not true (yeah I know, 5 years old quote). If you are a good player, yes, you can get whatever guitar sound good. But if you are good player you pay more attention to how the guitar feels in your hands and you'll notice sound differences. That's why you don't buy a Gibson as your first guitar. It will sound the same in your hands than a POS starter pack guitar. But when you are a good player the Gibson will sound much better than the starter pack even though the starter pack guitar would also sound good in your hands.
    schecter_r0cker
    yeah, this was my first guitar, and this is most definatly the worst guitar in history, I bought it in july of 06, and bought a bc rich 2 replace it in october, yeah i wouldn't tell any one to buy this guitar