Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String review by Jackson

Jackson: Christian Olde Wolbers Dinky Archtop 7-String

Purchased from: Minnetonka Music

This is a metal guitar and what it lacks in features redeems itself with TONE and PLAYABILITY. The sound is very rich and clean on both dirty and clean channels. LESS IS MORE with this guitar. The simplicity of the electronics setup affords this guitar more RESONANCE and more ARTICULATION making for GODLIKE tones. The 707 gives the guitar the perfect balance between aggressive thunder and uncompressed harmonic bliss which are very reminiscent of DiMarzio pickups. I believe the tone of this guitar has a lot to do with the wood that it is made out of. You can FEEL the vibrations of the strings throughout the body of the guitar when you strike down a power chord. I use this guitar both live and in the studio. The 707 is great for both lead and rhythm work, and, because it's an EMG, I can swap it out for an 81-7 when over-the-top note articulation is necessary. I am using a Mesa rig (Triaxis, 2:90 with G-Force and Rack wah) for live sounds and a Mesa Mark V for studio sounds. I use Mesa Oversized Rectifier 4X12 Cabs loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. It suits my Baritone requirements very well. I tune this guitar to standard B but the quality and articulation is unchaned even when tuned down to A or even Ab.

I have all of my guitars and equipment insured. I am definitely considering purchasing another one. I've been playing for over 15 years. I would destroy the person who even thinks about stealing this gem. I love the tone and simplicity of this guitar with my favorite feature being the tone. I own five 7 string guitars (each ranging in price from 600 - 2200) and this is my favorite one. It is also the least expensive guitar (6 or 7 string) that I own and use professionally.

This is the only guitar that I have ever purchased that didn't come with a gig bag or case, but I guess that's why it was a bit more inexpensive. The guitar is built very well and can withstand the rigors of touring and live gigs. I don't know anyone who gigs without a backup guitar. The finish is beautiful and very durable.

Again, not much variety, but it schools ANY and ALL 7 strings I have played with regards to tone and overall sound (Ibanez, Ernie Ball, Schecter, ESP, you name it this guitar makes them its bitch regarding tone). I had my guitar tech set up the action. Electronics were soldered very well. No flaws whatsoever. Everything came perfect from the factory regarding construction. The quality of the wood is excellent. I am very impressed with that especially in relation to the price.

This guitar was made in 2008. Body Species: Mahogany with Carved Top Body Style: Dinky Pickguard: None Neck Type: Bolt-On 3-Piece Mahogany with Satin Finish Neck Binding: None Neck Dimensions: 3rd Fret: .735", 12th Fret: .810" Fretboard: Ebony Fretboard Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius / 304.8 mm to 406.4 mm Scale Length: 25.5" / 648mm Number of Frets: 24 Fret Size: Jumbo Frets Nut Width: 1.875 / 48 Inlays: None Bridge Pickup: EMG 707 or 81-7 Middle Pickup: N/A Neck Pickup: N/A Pickup Switching: None Controls: Volume Special Electronics: N/A Hardware: Black Bridge: JT390-7 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body Tuners: Die-Cast Tuners