DK2 Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2 Dinky

Purchased from: mooresville music, IN.

I play rock/metal so this guitar suits me well. I usa a Kustom 65 watt 1X12 celestion amp with built in effects (chorus, reverb delay, slap back, flanger and vibrato. You can really wow people with some heavy power chords with distortion and plenty of gain but you wont send anyone to their "special place" on the clean channel, it is not bad but it has dual humbuckers so it is not a good blues or contemporary guitar. I like the fact that you can get pinch harmonics on this relatively inexpensive guitar fairly easily, especially in lower tunings.

I play rock/metal and this guitar is definately a screamer. I have been playing for over 2 years and I also own a First Act electric guitar (J you N K) and a Tradition Strat style with a humbucker single single set-up so I can do the blues thang. Maybe to have the bridge adjusted but that would be all. I would buy a Jackson again but a better model now that I am a better player. I love the raw metal sound it has and I hate the headstock, it is hard to tune on the fly. I had onl; y been playing for a few months when I bought this guitar so I did not know a lot about them to be able to compare. I simply played guitars until I found one that sounded good, felt good and fit my budget. Voila, here we are talking about a Jackson DK2 Dinky. Unless we own a Gibson SG or Les Paul or a Randy Rhodes RR1 or a PRS Custom etc. we all want our axes to have something they don't, am I right?

I am not in a band so I can not say whether it will withstand Live playing, I have played for friends and family and it is fine but I don't get too wild. Hardware seems fine, strap buttons are fine, I do not have strap locks and the strap has never came off. If I did play gigs I would play it without a backup, but I think I would be nervous playing a Gibson without a backup, you never know. The finish is fine after 2 years of almost daily playing.

This guitar was the one I learned to play on and I had it professionally set-up after I got fairly decent. It didn't change very much, the action was still low and still sounded the same, I wish I had just left it alone. It was like throwing money out the window. Like I said earlier the tremolo bridge needed some adjusting to stay in tune but that was pretty simple.

Not sure of the year, fairly recent. Made in India with 21 frets. Super thin neck good for metal, medium frets on rosewood fretboard. solid top satin finish (mine is black) double cutaway, active dual humbuckers (not sure of make/model) that sound better than most other guitars in same price range, tremolo bridge (with a little tweaking now stays in tune) 1 volume knob, 1 tone knob and 3-way selectror switch. Not sure about tuners but have not had problems out of them. Very good beginner guitar, I reccomend anyone wantiog to learn to play rock/metal, get a dinky. the price is small but the sound is not.

nikh158
    I find tuning the thing a complete nightmare. It takes a good ten minutes of fiddling to change the tuning, so now I just don`t bother. It sounds great but I really can`t get on with the ridiculously longwinded tuning. 1/10
    651Tom
    651Tom
    thrashing4god wrote: ugly guitar
    Not all the DK2's have stupid flames coming off of them!
    88-Muse-88
    651Tom wrote: Why does it take you so long to tune? i have this guitar. i can tune it very quickly. just un-do the locking pegs (or whatever they're called) one at a time. don't un-do them all, then try to tune. In my oppinion, this guitar is great! easy to play quickly and has a great sound.
    Can't you just use the tuners on the tremolo?