DK2 Dinky review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Jackson: DK2 Dinky

Purchased from: Andertons

I had read many of these reviews and decided to check out a Dinky DK2 for myself, I played one in the shop and was straight away sold. The neck alone was worth buying the guitar for as it feels perfect for my hand and plays very fast. Rather than buying that one however I wanted one in Black so another one soon arrived and I collected and paid for it. (There is a point to this story). I play mostly Metal and rock through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL 50 Half-stack, and this guitar fits very well. It looks the part and the neck allows fast playing. The pickups are fantastic as others have reported and with the alder body produce a crisp and bright sound perhaps a bit too bright for some styles of music. Playing around with the volume and the tone controls accross each pick-up position yields lots of differences in tone, especially with a valve amplifier. For the price the sound is excellent and compares very favourably with higher priced alternatives.

Have played for around 20+ years and have owned many guitars during that time. I have been generally impressed with the Dinky DK2 and for the price it is an excellent purchase however follow my advise. When possible see and play the guitar in the store before buying it, checking these things over can save you a lot of time and money later! Common sense I know, I made the mistake of trusting my instinct and hoping it would be correctly setup on arrival.

It all appears very solid, I certainly would not gig without a backup however. The strap buttons are large and securely mounted, the finish appears solid. I suspect like many guitars, if you look after your instrument it will serve you for many years.

Ok here is the less impressive part. As mentioned above, I bought this newly arrived guitar having not played this exact one, which in hindsight was a mistake. The guitar was basically not setup at all, not even close to being in tune. Floyd Rose was not parallel to the body, lots of fret buzz with a high action (neck needs major adjustment), some almost dead notes above the 15th fret where they are fretting out. The trem bar is loose. The intonation needs adjusting. The two single coil pickups are leaning towards the back of the guitar rather than parallel to the strings. On the positive side, all these problems can be resolved I hope and I have now given this over to a guitar tech to rectify. The finish itself is beutiful and the pickups produce no background noise, frets are nicely aligned and seated. I will have to rate this a 1, as to be honest I expected better. Guitars should not be allowed to leave the shop with the problems mentioned above.

Made in Japan. 24 jumbo frets. Bolt-on rock maple neck with Scarf joint head stock. Fingerboard: rosewood with compound 14 to 16 radius. Alder body finished in black gloss. Seymour Duncan JB TB4 humbucking pickup at the bridge and 2 Seymour Duncan STK-1 single coils for neck and middle positions. 5-position pickup selector. Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson low profile JT580 LP double locking 2-point tremolo. Jackson cast tuners. Only came with small toolkit for adjusting the bridge.