DK2 Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2 Dinky

Purchased from: Local Shop

I play in a Metal/Punk/Thrash Band and this is Perfect for that, the neck is thin and fast & the bridge gives me amazing ability to do weird stuff in solo sections. I have ran this guitar through numerous rigs but right now I run a Marshall AVT50 head through a Hughes & Kettner Warp 4X12 cab. I have a DigiTech Grunge, Line 6 Uber Metal, and Morley Bad Horsie Wah that I use. The only time it gets a Little bit noisey is when the gain booster is activated which I don't use very often. The Pickups give it a HUGE range of tonal possibilities, I have gotten very Raunchy Distortions and even Smooth bluesy cleans and Crunches. The middle pickup is there for show in my opinion, it would probably be good for country as it is very twangy. The neck pickup is deep & creamy. The Bridge (which is not original in the guitar) Can be Extremely saturated or super clean.

I play Mostly metal and this guitar is Perfect for it. I have been playing for almost 6 years and have owned many amps & guitars & effects. Out of everything this is the one piece I will never get rid of. I love the action on this guitar, when I change the strings it will throw it off a little bit but within an hour of playing it is back to the way I like it.

I have put this guitar through hell and back. VERY VERY dependable. I have dropped it, dropped stuff on it, thrown it around, ran into things with it and it works like Brand New. I thought about getting strap locks for it but I have never had any problems with the buttons on it. I have used this many times without a backup and it has never failed me, although the few times I have takin a backup it was good because I have popped a few strings on stage. The finish is great, mine has plenty of scratches and dents but I have yet to wear the finish down where my arm rests or where it constantly rubs against my belt.

I bought it from a local store that offered free setup when you buy from them so I had it set up after a few weeks although it was in great condition when I got it. The pickups sat a little low for my liking but that was easily adjustable. There were no physical or cosmetic flaws to this guitar when I bought it.

Jackson DK2FS (Firestorm). I cannot find this thing ANYWHERE. It is a Standard DK2 Dinky but it has a gain boost on it. The Jackson website used to have it on there but it isnt anymore. I got this about 4 years ago & I have gone through 5 other guitars since then, none of them came close to this one. It is Japanese made, with duncan designed pickups (H,S,S) I switched out the Bridge & put in a Duncan Invader. It has a Floyd Rose Bridge with the locks on the nut, and a bolt on neck. It is a pretty Standard guitar but is by FAR my favorite guitar I have ever played. I have owned (Schecter C-1 Plus, Jackson Kelly, DKMGT 2007 model, and 2008 model, ESP MH-300)

alecs90
    for the unregistered dude that wrote his/her review on november 10, 2006: something is wrong with your guitar, on the Jackson site it says in the spec sheet the following: Electronics: Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan JB TB4 Humbucking Pickup Middle Pickup: Seymour Duncan STK-1 Single-Coil Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan STK-1 Single-Coil Pickup Switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickup Position 3. Middle Pickup Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup Position 5. Neck Pickup your electronics are messed up!
    JacksonDinky!
    I bought this guitar flipped left handed, put in a seymour duncan invader, ran it through a peavey Vypyr, and Basically jizzed in my pants. its amazing, period.
    The JesterHead
    Shib wrote: tasty licks wrote: bluesblaster wrote: whoever that first guy was, he wrote one of the most pointless reviews i have ever read in my life agreed. I also agree. "when you put it on and let go of it the headstock ends up facing the floor but this just guitar stays in place" I don't get it... But the DKMG Dinky is pretty good.. the DK2 is also good but not as good
    I don't see how you can compare a guitar with passive pickups, such as the DK2, with a guitar with active pickups, such as the DKMG. Those guitars are basically the same thing, the only major difference are the pickup types. And active pickups aren't "better" than passive, nor are passive "better" than active, it's all a matter of personal preferences. If you want a natural all-around sound like I do - you'll go with the DK2. If you're ok, however, with losing the natural harmonics of the guitar to an insane output for tearing the walls down - you'll go with the DKMG. Simple as that.
    andr3vv
    been looking at this for a while but recently came across a micheal kelly patriot custom .any one no which is the better choice?
    duzit89
    One. wrote: I got a DK2M from GAK for 399, plus 60 for a crimson swirl finish, it looks awesome and plays awesome. mine has 2 SD humbuckers, and the strings that come with the guitar are pretty decent and have lasted me around a year.
    ... wow your strings must sound REALLY dead after a year...or you pick very lightly all the time...change them monthly and you'll notice a difference in your undead string tone
    Ali-b912
    andr3vv wrote: this or micheal kelly patriot custom?
    They're two very different guitars. If you want to downtune at all, go for the Patriot. If you want to use the tremolo alot, get the Dinky. Also, the Patriot probably has a fatter Les Paul type neck, whereas the Jackson has a thinner faster neck.