DK2 Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2 Dinky

I play modern hard rock and 80's metal, which is why I purchased this guitar. It sounds amazing. Pinch harmonics are pulled off with ease using the Duncan JB Bridge pickup. I also have a Slash Les Paul gold top and a Schecter 7 string with EMG active pickups and I gotta say, the harmonics on this guitar blow the others away! I run it through a Krank Rev Jr. 20 watt head and a Jet City 2 x 12 cabinet and it sounds unbelievable with the amp's gain channel, and even sharper through a Metal Muff pedal. I also have a Black Label chorus in the effects loop and I can get a huge, full sound. Clean sounds seem a bit flat to me, though there is decent clarity to the notes. I didn't really buy this guitar to play clean anyway, so it's fine with me. All in all, perfectly suited to my tastes.

Since I am a fan of 80's hard rock and metal, this guitar is perfect for me. Its classic body style and pointy headstock are awesome! I've been playing for about 10 years or so on and off, and I only wish I had bought one of these back in the beginning. It's so easy to play, I think learning the guitar would have been so much easier on this guitar. There isn't much I would change on it except for maybe the tuners, and like I said earlier, thicker strings. That's it. If it were stolen, I'd replace it without a second thought. I compared this guitar to the Charvel So-Cal when I was shopping for a new guitar, so it was a toss-up. Both were great, but I liked the look of this better.

I don't really play live, so I can't comment on whether or not it will withstand the rigors of live playing. If I were to guess though, I would say that you should probably have a backup guitar under most circumstances anyway. The finish, while flawless, seems like it might be a bit thin and subject to getting nicks and dings.

This is where I was most surprised with this guitar. It came to me perfectly set up and flawless. The action is super low right out of the box and the intonation is spot on. This is unusual in my experiences. I usually have to take new guitars and have them set up right away, but not in this case. The Floyd sits perfectly level in the recessed cavity so no spring adjustments were necessary at all. The frets are polished and smooth all the way up the neck and they are all seated fine. The finish has absolutely no flaws at all, not even a smudge. The only thing I am going to change is the strings. I prefer to use .10's and it came with .09's. This is Standard though and thicker strings are just a personal preference of mine so no big deal.

I believe this guitar was made in 2010 in Japan. It has 24 jumbo frets with a rock maple fretboard. I bought it in white, and the finish is flawless. It has the Standard Jackson Dinky body shape, and the controls consist of a volume knob, a tone knob, and a 5 way "blade" style selector switch. The pickups are in a H-S-S configuration and are real Seymour Duncans. The Bridge humbucker is a JB, and the 2 single coils are STK-1's. The tuners are Jackson non-locking but work quite well. It also has a Floyd Rose Bridge which is of course double locking, and really keeps the guitar in tune very well even with liberal use of the tremolo. The guitar came with a hard shell case with the "Jackson" logo on the outside. The case is awesome and has a plush interior to protect the guitar, as well as a lock and 2 keys included. The only tools included were a few allen wrenches of various sizes, which are basically all you need. Also, the compound radius fretboard is super comfortable no matter where on the neck you're playing. Definitely a plus!

megadethfan 666
    why do i keep hearing people saying jackson is not metal because they are owned by fender when all members of Iron Maiden, john 5, and Yngwie Malmsteen all use fender and thats not even talking about the people that use jackson Adrian Smith(Iron Maiden) Mark Morton, John Cambell(Lamb of God) Matt Tuck(Bullet for My Valentine) Randy Rhoads(Ozzy Ozbourne)R.I.P. Phill Demmel(Machine Head) Christian Olde Wolbers(Arkaea) Criss Broderick, David Ellefson(Megadeth) Scott Ian(Anthrax)