DK2M Dinky Pro review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2M Dinky Pro

Purchased from: GAK

People that say this is a metal guitar are just jealous and are trying to put you off buying it. Yep it's good for metal, but with a clean sound it gives better speedy jazz scales and licks(summertime, nature boy, take five, girl from ipanema). Any corny pop chord progressions can also be created really easily with the neck pickup eg. matchbox 20, saybia, Live, Snow Patrol, Coldplay. I play it through a AVT150w Marshall or Washburn Bad Dog, not the best amps but it still delivers great tone(that's what counts). The bridge pickup could be slightly hotter (high pitch squeels are hard to reach) so if you love Jimi Hendrix, look elsewhere. I may change it for an EMG-81. This guitar sounds great for dire straits, Rise Against, White Stripes, Alter Bridge, Metallica (...And Justice For All), Franz Ferdinand. If you want a cheap alternative to a Gibson this is great. any kind of harmonics come as easily as regular playing on this axe.

I love the neck humbucker and the maple neck with easy harmonics. I hate the tone control (it has no strength unless you lower the master volume too, which sucks because you lose your effect volume (e.g. the grit in distortion) but that's pretty much all I hate, and that can be changed easily. The only other thing that slightly annoys me is the fact that it's bolt-on, I think it might miss out on some valuble sustain, but still a lot better then similarlly priced contenders I played eg. Epiphone les pauls, Squier Espirits and ESP Vipers. I've been playing 5 years (2 years of classical training) and played in 4 or 5 largish concerts as lead and rhythm. I have not played many great guitars but have played my fair share of crap guitars, and I can safely say, this is true music to my ears after the trash I've had to endure. I've not given a '10' before because I'm very pesimistic. so I'll give a '10' now because I'm so chuffed with this guitar.

This guitar will indefinately outlive me and all my future generations. Nothing can destroy this guitar except itself. One must always arm oneself with a backup guitar, but if it ever decided to slip into a deep sleep, I would probably replace it with the closest H-S-S equivilent or one of its EMG siblings.

This guitar came in great condition, eventually (I had to wait 2 months because the jacksons were sold out or sumin stupid like that, but it was worth every minute). I had to adjust the bridge slightly because the bass strings were thick and buzzed a bit, but that only took about 2 minutes and most of that time was to find the screwdriver. The first fret had a couple of small scratches but after a week of constant playing it's invisible. one of the tone knobs came loose after a bit too, but that was a 20 second job because I had the trusty screwdriver close at hand from previously.

RevengeGoose
    "Ahstyn : You get better tone through a set-thru neck than you would with a bolt-on neck." BUllSHIT
    _Paddy_
    i want a new guitar, but i cant decide if i want a Dean Razorback (or the fire-graphic one), an Ibanez IC400 ORR this (which looks AWSUM). also tossing up between a Schecter Avenger and a Jackson WRMG Warrior and a RR3 Kelly with skull graphic.....Anyone got any opinions 'bout those guitars???
    Hanger 17
    Is it worth sacrificing a neck-thru and active EMG 81/85 s for this guitar, cause its worth about the same as an ESP lts MH-400, so would you say its worth it?
    Deathcore_Dude
    im thinking of gettin this as a 3rd guitar..pretty cheap..i need to play one in a shop first though.
    weve
    I beleive you get better tone through a bolt on as opposed to a setin or neckthrough. Yngwie, EVH, SRV, Satriani, Vai, Clapton, Gilmour etc.
    zanderdavis
    Just got my White DK2m in and I'm thrilled. I can't put it down. I also own a metallic red DK2M and it's the reason I bought another. I play in two different tunings mainly and it's much easier to switch axes than retune. They play like butter and leads are awesome. I always change strings, intonate and set up the actions to my liking when they first come in. You can really set these low without string rattle, which is my preference. You have to really stretch the strings but once they are set and in tune, they stay that way. I like the Duncan pickups, mainly the bridge pickup. Running it though a 1992 Mesa Dual Recto Head and cabinet without any effects pedals just amazes me. Pure Metal guitar.....Period. Great harmonics for passives and the guitar is very light. I don't alter my DK2s because I like the stock sound. EMG actives to me, drive the amp too much and you lose purity of the guitar tone. Hell Zakk Wylde could play EMG 81/85 through a Silvertone and they would still sound like he was playing a Gibson with EMG 81/85s. Tone is what this guitar is about and with overdrive your mainstay, there is no other choice. I've owned my first DK2M for 6 months and I still feel the same way. You can gig the hell out of these guitars with no problem. The neck pickup is okay for a few things. For Jazz, there are better guitar pickups. Since I really don't swing that way, I sometimes use the neck pickup for leads that aren't too over the top or playing a clean lead and it sounds okay. For a Metal guitar, it's a 10 all the way. Jazz, Country, Bluegrass, easy listening I give it a 7. Blues I give it a 9 because the neck pickup sounds good with blues chords and the lead switching works out fine. Just don't show up to a blues gig without your strat. No thin strat sounds out of this guitar at all. Bang your head -Zander Davis