DK2M Dinky Pro review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2M Dinky Pro

Purchased from: Sam Ash

This guitar is mainly built for metal, as you can probably tell by the look and design. And this guitar does that very well. Good and beefy for rhythm, although you could probably find a better guitar if rhythm is your main thing. It's even better for soloing, and at a price like this, you'd be hard pressed to find a guitar that gets better tones for leads. The Seymour Duncan humbuckers on this guitar are great. Oddly enough, I often use the bridge pickup for rhythm, and the neck for soloing (for most people, it's the other way around). The reason for this is that neck pickup is very smooth for soloing (I will only sweep on the neck pickup), and the bridge pickup packs a great, trebly punch for chord playing. However, I'm not a fan of the middle position. To me, it just sounds bland and uninspiring. While this guitar is definitely made with metal in mind, it shines for any genre you want to play. I also use it for blues and rock playing, and for this reason the Dinky is my main guitar.

I saved up a while for this guitar. I kind of took a leap Faith with this guitar, as I'd never played it before buying it, but all the reviews I'd seen were extremely positive. It turned out to be the right move, as I love this guitar, and it's still my go-to guitar. The main reason I love it so much is because, well, I feel like it's made for me. Its playability is so fantastic, and it's awesome for shredding as well as other genres. I just feel like it was made to be played. If it were stolen, I'd probably cry for a while, and then try to save up for a new one. I just can't Live without it. It's unlike any other guitar I've played, and for $600-700, there is no other guitar like it in it's price range. In fact, it beats a lot of guitars above it's price range. I just can't say enough about it. If you don't believe me, go you to your nearest guitar store and try one out. Trust me, you won't regret it.

I've had this guitar for four months now, and so far it's held up beautifully. In fact, I can't think of any difference from the day I bought it. It's a solid guitar that can take anything you throw at it, as heavily and frequently as you want to play it. However, since I've only had this guitar for a few months, I feel it's wrong to rate this guitar on how long it'll hold up. So please disregard my rating.

The guitar was set up by Sam Ash, and it was set up at the point where I could just plug in and rip. The action was a bit high, but weirdly enough, I like high action. However, some other people might complain about that, as shredders generally prefer low action. The job done on this guitar was amazing. The frets were finished beautifully, and I've had no problem with those. On other guitars, I've scratched myself on unfinished frets jutting out of the side of the fretboard, but that will not happen with this guitar. The wood sounds great and resonates well. This is a guitar that gets great sustain, partly because of the locking nut. The nut can be quite a nuisance, as you'd normally have to constantly unscrew the nut, tune, and rescrew. This is where the fine tuners come into play. You can refine your tuning without even thinking about it, just by tightening or loosening the screws. You just have to reset them every once in a while. Dinkies are complete with a Floyd Rose tremelo, which is awesome for dive bombs as well as the ability to pull up. However, as everyone knows, the floating bridge makes changing strings hell if you don't know how. I avoided changing my strings for months past their experation date, because I'd had no experience with the Floyd Rose. That's my one complaint, but once you learn how to change the strings, it shouldn't pose too much of a problem. This guitar just looks so cool, and you won't be disappoined with it.

Playability-wise, the DK2M Dinky is so awesome. I've played and owned tons of other guitars. Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, Ibanezes, and everything inbetween. But no other guitar I've played comes close to the Dinky in terms of how well it plays. The key to this is really how the neck is set up. The lower frets are farther apart to allow for easy chordal and rhythm playing. But the trick is that unlike most other guitars, Jackson wisely decided it would be a good idea to make the higher frets closer together. Because of this, soloing is made easy. No wonder why shredders love Jacksons. The body style is very similar to a Strat's. It's got 24 frets (another awesome feature). The guitar also looks awesome. Mine's in snow white, and tons of people always tell me how awesome my guitar looks (I'm also a fan of the pointy headstock, haha). The pickups are two Seymour Duncan humbuckers (passive), and it has three positions. Three knobs: one for volume, two tones for each pickup. Plus, it comes complete with a nifty Floyd Rose, which I've been known to abuse.

iheartemo69
    are we comparing ESP's to Jacksons or ESP/LTD's. because LTDs are a whole other shitty story. you shouldnt even bother comparing them to a jackson.
    Ali-b912
    Ahstyn wrote: You get better tone through a set-thru neck than you would with a bolt-on neck.
    you get better sustain on a thru neck but better tone with a bolt. also the bolt neck makes it easier to repair.
    bjackson369
    I'm getting this Jackson in white in about a week I can't wait! Sam Ash let me use their display one until then (it's really crappy, knobs falling off, not in tune, etc) so I really can't wait till I get mine.
    Nexion_thesub
    Have this guitar, great sound and everything else mentioned above, only et back i've had is: the guitar wont stay in tune when i use the floyd rose (pulling up or pushing down) and before i get hundreds of comments, try tightening the springs, or the nuts blah blah, ive done all of it. Gonna eventually get it into a tech to fix it (not enough time these days.) So as for the past bit i just used a "stopper" (basiccaly a filed down screw that will fit in between the bridge and the body to prevent whammy use), but like i said before great guitar, aside from ym personal difficulties with it!! 5/5
    millynell14
    yea ive just ordered 1 as well (well actually 1st jan) i had to pre-order it tho so it'll be ages ;(
    DannnUK
    Fucking awesome guitar(s). Check my profile for a pic, they have a real solid feel.
    DannnUK
    dj.myburgh
    This guitar is ****ing awesome, got it a few days ago and cant put it down. 5/5 for me
    jake engle
    I got this guitar about 6 months ago and i had a little trouble with the floyd rose (as it was my first) but once i got it down it is a completely amazing guitar. Even the seymour duncan distortion pickup doesnt have as much output as the JB TB4. The jazz pickup also sounds very good and a bit gloomy. I would definetly recommend this guitar to anybody with the money who is looking for a good guitar..and for 619.99$ (for me at guitar center) you shouldnt pass it up.
    happy strummer
    i plan on buying one in a month or less, whenever i get the money. i love playing jacksons up at the local store, now that theyve dropped Dean (i was a strictly dean guy for 2 years) i prefer jackson over esp for action, feel, and bolt-ons. i like having the option, as i like having the ability to replace the neck if necessary (have a Dean Vendetta 4, neck-through, and im having SERIOUS trouble with the humidity in south louisiana) not to mention i just like the feel of the satin clear coated bolt on necks that jackson produces. painted necks just feel sticky to me, not that im some alexi laiho or anything
    fenderbender_1
    POSTED: 04/16/2008 - 117 pm / quote |
    lol I have seriously seen no one who can play a cob song