DK2M Dinky Pro review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2M Dinky Pro

Purchased from: Craigslist

The tone from this guitar is phenominal, I can't see a big difference between the middle setting and the far front setting, they are verry similar, I kkep mine on the back setting because of the growl you get from the bridge humbucker. People say this guitar isnt versatile, that it is just a metal guitar... But I mostly play it clean and it sounds great, it is just comfortable, it looks good it sounds good it is reliable, I got this guitar off craigslist got it for $400 half guitar center prices (guitar center lists them at $650 but after tax and a case and all that good stuff, a stand and a cable, you are lookin at around $800+) my point is that it hasn't gone out of tune yet and I got it early february... I play it 6-7 hours every day. I check the tuning every morning with a Korg electric tuner and it is spot on every day and it sounds great.

I play metal hard rock alternative rock classic rock and regrettably christian rock (community service don't ask) and this guitar rocks for all of these generes it is a very forgiving and easy to play guitar, I get so relaxed playing I learly fall asleep, my hands don't cramp up, it dozent jab or poke whenever you lean over it or hold it, I can get every tone I want from it and it LOOKS RAD! My guitar is jet black, all but the white maple neck with the black sharkfin inlays. I play it with a Fender Rumble 100 bass amp for a very unique tone, other times I play with a massive 100 watt Carvin amplifier with a Carvin cabinet with 4 15 inch speakers, I record with that one, but I practice and do small gigs with the bass amb because I don't need a forklift and a team of movers to shift it. Efects wise I use Boss pedals such as the Boss Digital Delay or DD-3 I also have the DD-2 I don't know what the diference is, realy, I use the Boss Metal Zone as well, that is what I get some of my better tones out of, I also use a Boss equilizer. Though one of my favorite efects is the Electro harmonics Metal Muff, I primarily use it for getting a grungy bass tone but you can also get an over the top classic rock tone with it, or if you turn all the knobs down low you get a good blues tone.

This guitar is a workhorse, nothing about it is flimsy, course I would use it on a gig without a backup, the jack is tough, the tremolo is sturdy, the nut is built like a tank and the body is just solid! The electronics are wired well, I haven't had any issues while playing except one minor minor minor thing, when you turn the volume and tone knobs while playing you get a quiet crackling sound.

When I got this guitar there were three things wrong with it... First off it needs, and still does need, a truss rod adjustment, what this means is there is a dead note on the high 'E' string at the low 'F' note, there was also an aftermarket action adjustment made by the original owner and there was extremely minor oxidation on the tremolo, everything else was great, keep in mind these are very minor problems that are easily repaired with an alan wrench or a trip to a music store.

I got this guitar used, the original owner got it in 2006, it is a japanese made instrument. It has a 24 fret rock maple neck with black Shark fin inlays, the neck is realy wide, this is my second guitar. Before I had a Squire Bullet and this blows that out of the water. The Bullet is a Strat variant with a smaller neck, it is designed for younger players with smaller hands. I got that when I was 10 and decided to trade up, I am 17 now. When I wanted a guitar I was looking for Floyd Rose, (check) a locking nut (check) a sweet body style (check) atleast one humbucking pickup (a big check) and a Mega wide neck (check) plus I wanted a brand I could trust. I had narrowed it down to two choices, the Fender Jaguar HH and a Jackson Dinky, I wasn't sure which model. But this one over the Jag was no contest when I scoped out the necks. The humbuckers are NOT EMG that is another thing I did not want. I love the active sound (my bass has active pickups) you get a very versitile and rich sound. And if I am not mistaken several Schecters and Jackson Soloists have EMG's I wanted passive humbuckers because of batteries I don't want my sound deteriorating over time, I have noticed this with several pieces of my gear that run off of batteries. The dual humbuckers sound GREAT!

rocket7171
    I used to be a fan of Jackson guitars having a few...but I was introduced to ESP guitars ESP guitars like the M1 MII KH2 Horizon, and even some LTD's(KH602, m1000, mh400) are better than most Jackson's. Compare a neck thru ESP MII(approx. $1700) to most if not all jacksons the MII beats most if not all of Jackson's high end more expensive guitars
    rocket7171
    The older Jackson guitars seemed to be a much higher quality guitar than what they are today.....ESP has taken over for the best guitar for metal in my opinion.
    fretman5000
    Comparing the same priced Jacksons and ESPs, Jackson gives you more for the money, name brand pickups, locking tremelo, 24 frets, and a nice neck. ESPs, like those priced the same as the DK2M Dinky are definately not as good, ESP pickups, no tremelo, the Jackson is the best value at $600. Good ESPs are at a minimum of $1000
    KingSquall802
    i have this guitar. and for me this is an all around guitar, i can play metal, hard rock, it has a very good clean sound, and i can switch thru jazz, alternative rock, funk. and i love it. and with the color of it (snow white), and can also play love songs on it. i chose the white color because people might think u will play something like love songs, or soft songs, but they dont know that this guitar will rock up their asses! LOVE IT!
    GunLeatherGuy
    Its a damn nice guitar...Ive got 3 Carvins, 2 EBMM, Esp Custom shop, Charvel SD and others and I still love this and my DKMG.....great guitar! Bob....go play them and see which one you like the best. You have 3 different choices, 3 different people will give you 3 different answers....get which one you like the best! K? Rock and roll
    JHC_DOH
    Very nice guitar. I just got one for four hundred. But, i'm selling it cause it has crappy fretwork.