DK2S Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: DK2S Dinky

Purchased from: Manson's, Exeter

This guitar is very versatile. I am playing it through a Roland Cube 60 amp, and with it's wide variety of tone and sound, this guitar delivers well. It is not noisy at all, except when the sustainiac is on, which can screech or continue humming if you're not careful. This can be irritating, and the guitar also loses volume drastically when the sustainiac is switched off, but does regain quickly. It will play anything from extreme metal, to soft acoustic, and pairs well with the rectifier and acoustic models on my amp. The Floyd Rose gives you the ability to do insane dive-bombs, especially when coupled with the sustainiac.

I convinced myself before going out to purchase my new guitar, that it'd be an RG1570. In the shop, I tried out quite a few in the rg and sa series, and then the shopkeeper brought this one over. It blew the others out of the water, and completely changed my mind. 500 later, I walked out the shop with it, and I don't regret it a single bit. This axe is just a great piece of kit, and I would definitely buy it again if it got lost/stolen. The only trouble I have with it, is the amount of 9V batteries I get through to power the sustainiac. It plays a huge range of styles well, from acoustic strumming to neoclassical shred. It can sound brutal for heavy metal, or calm. It takes to all effects well, apart from my Dunlop Crybaby wah, the two don't get along well, and the effect from the pedal tends to get lost, unlike when I play with my Strat through the same amp. It's a shame. The few negatives I can pick out from this guitar are hugely outweighed by the positives. I recommend it highly, and it can be found at very reasonable prices, commonly.

This guitar has one hell of a solid body. I have only put one small dent in it, and I play pretty roughly. It's not too heavy, not too light, just right. The hardware still impresses me The strap buttons seemed pretty good, but to, I've replaced them with Straploks anyway. It's dependable, I've not had a problem with it, at all.

The action was perfect. I have not had to alter it from factory set-up at all. The pickups were also completely fine, and the body and neck are solid. There is a slight crackle when the pickup selector is moved, but it's nothing awful. The finish still looks great, though it does seem to collect (visible) dirt and grease quite a lot more than my other guitars.