DKMG review by Jackson

Jackson: DKMG

I play mostly heavy metal with a Line 6 Spider II 15 practice amp and it suits metal very well. I know the amp doesn't sound good at high volumes but I don't need it loud so it sounds great and the EMG's are awesome. I raised the bridge pickup (81) as close to the strings as I could get it without the strings touching it when I push the tremolo all the way down, pull it all the way up. I'd like for it to have more sustain, and the supposedly hollow horns could be a big part of the problem. I tend to lose my tone when I pull the tremolo all the way up. Great metal tones out of it though, no Dimebag Darrell sounds but I can get pretty close to it so I'm happy with it. I play with the gain all the way up for maximum distortion usually. I know you can get a lot of different tones out of the guitar. They get a good clean sound but I think the EMG 60 is better for cleans than the 85. Very quiet pickups.

I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Special II "Mr. Skull" for 3 years when I got this guitar and I was amazed at the difference in tone the Jackson had. I've put a Dimebucker in the Epiphone and detuned it so the tone can compare to the Jackson now, but I still prefer the Jackson.

Definitely very reliable guitar I think it will last for a long time but I may need to replace the tremolo eventually if it keeps coming loose. I would definitely use it without a backup it's a great guitar and it looks awesome. I wish I got it in transparent black, but it was a gift and the black is great.

I think everything was great except for the bridge pickup, but that's just my personal preference. I didn't notice any flaws about it except for after a year and a half of playing it the screw under the cover in the back by the tremolo springs that holds the tremolo to the guitar comes loose every few weeks and is really annoying.

Not sure where it was made, but it was made in 2006, and it rocks. 24 jumbo frets, Floyd Rose Licensed Jackson Low Profile JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo, EMG 81 in the bridge, EMG 85 in the neck, 25.5" scale, rosewood fingerboard with Compound 14 to 16 Radius, 1 volume and 1 tone controls, Bolt-On Rock Maple neck with Scarf Joint Head Stock, Alder body with Carved Top and Flame Maple Veneer, comes with .009-.042 strings, 1-11/16 (43mm)nut, Reverse Jackson 6-In-Line Pointed Headstock, MOTO Piranha Tooth Position Inlays, Ivoroid Binding on Neck and Headstock. I've read that the horns are hollow but I don't know if it's true or not. I would like to have an afterburner on it.

Pingis_Or_Death
    raging bug wrote: how is the floyd on the dkmg, does it stay in tune?
    Yes. I abuse mine daily and it NEVER goes out of tune.
    suckapunch
    I'm interested in buying this guitar, but i was wondering if anyone has been able to refute the sustain issues that this guitar seems to have or further verify them. I want to learn pinch harmonics and whammy bar techniques, but it just seems like a lot of reviews don't give this guitar a good rap when it comes to these two things. I thought EMG 81/85's were supposed to be IT! Or is it because of the non-original Floyd Rose?