DKMG review by Jackson

Jackson: DKMG

Price paid: A$ 1499

Purchased from: A & B Music

Long story short, I got the store to take back my JS100 because of the simple fact that the Edge III was on it's death toll. extra 300 bucks got me this beauty. When I use this guitar I usually run it into a Vox Tonelab LE, with a few other effects popping in and out occasionally. Live I run the Tonelab straight into the PA because I am a cheap bastard Who would rather another guitar than a good tube amp. I play everything from blues/jazz to Tech Death Metal, it handles all of those pretty well, but being active pickups stuff like jazz etc doesn't sound fantastic, just average. But if you where to throw on some gain and chug out a few riffs, this baby screams and then some. The EMGs aren't nearly as noisy as what I am used to, which is a nice change.

I have been playing for nearly 6 years now, and this is the best guitar I have ever owned (not played, nothing will beat that one of a kind S series prestige I played many years back). it is very versatile, although I wish it had the EMG 81tw/89 set because I miss coil-tapping. if this where stolen, I would hunt down the guy Who stole it, because I don't have the money for a replacement, and I have to add this guitar to the insurance.

Will this guitar withstand Live playing? this thing is built like a tank, I reckon obama should be driving this thing to the inauguration rather than his caddy. the strap buttons are a lot bigger than the ones I am used to which is good, although my Dunlop straplocks don't fit over them (again cheap bastard). I wouldn't use it without a back-up for two reasons 1) this guitar is in Standard tuning, I play a few songs with drop D and various other tunings, and FRs are a pain in the ass to tune normally let alone reset the thing for another tuning 2) only idiots gig using a Floyd Rose equipped guitar without a back-up.

the set-up was great considering this was an older floor model that probably coped a beating from all those "HxC Br00talZ Kids". I was expecting to get home and have to get my tools out to do a couple of repairs (because no matter what kind of staff you have, you can't protect a guitar from a world of moronic 13 year-olds Who think there top shit because they can throw on some distortion and look cool), I was amazed that this guitar was in perfect condition, not a single flaw, scratch or mark on it. the bridge is great, but since it hasn't been properly set-up (I can only do so much myself), I can get a good two and a half days of beating the hell out of the trem before it is noticeably out of tune (it goes out very minorly, you would need perfect pitch to tell).

This is the Jackson DKMG made in 2007, meaning it has the EMG 81/85 pickups Standard, the DKMG's built before 2007 came with the EMG-HZ passive pickups. An archtop alder body in the shape of a superstrat (in satin black finish, doesn't pick up fingerprints like the other black finish, plus in the words of Paul Gilbert "nothing is more metal than black"). It has a bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard (pirhana-tooth inlays), and is super thin. it also comes with a Liscensed Floyd Rose (not original), but as far as Liscensed models go, this one is of pretty high quality.

BTKA
    EMG-HZ passive pickups are found in the Jackson DXMG. Think you reviewed the wrong guitar!!!