DKMG review by Jackson

Jackson: DKMG

Price paid: C$ 800

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

This guitar is fairly versatile. But from most of the features, it is a mostly metal playing guitar. At least that's what I use it for. With the EMG's you get a pretty clear sound. I find it to be brighter that pickups I have used before. One thing I have noticed with active pick ups is the added gain. On one of my clean settings that I used with my other guitar, has been turned into an almost distorted sound with the EMG's. I use it with a DigiTech RP 350. (Also a very lovely piece of equipment) Also, when it comes to any form of harmonics on the DKMG, it is a great guitar to have. Pinch harmonics (my favorite) come very clear. And with the Floyd Rose, the whammy bar gives you the ability to hit those tapped harmonics. Overall, it sounds pretty good.

Overall, this guitar is a great metal guitar and can handle the punch of low tunings. It gives a good crunch and is very clear. Pretty much all of my questions were answered when I bought this guitar. Most likely yes I would purchase this guitar or something similar like the DKMGT (as I am not familiar with the Floyd Rose). I have compared this guitar to ESP guitars such as the M-1000 and the MH-401. I chose this guitar because I have a lot of good reviews on Jackson guitars. I only wish this guitar was more carefully or "tightly" built. But overall it is a great guitar.

I don't gig often at all so this guitar will last me a long long time. Everything seems snug except the volume knob. About the finish, although it may show fingerprints it is pretty shiny and solid. I think it will last a long while. I am counting to depend on this guitar for a long time. After my discovery with the volume knob I wasn't too impressed but still enjoyed the sound and features of the guitar. Anyways, something as simple as a loose volume know can be easily repaired.

Unfortunately, I don't know this guitars action out of factory. I had the guitar adjusted for drop C so they had to adjust the neck and the bridge changing the original action. So I very well do not know anything about how this guitar was originally set up. Other than that, after about only 2 days of playing it, I noticed the volume know was loose. This may of been because of the guy adjusting my guitar or because of the factory. Who knows? But, overall, this guitar sounded and played superb when I brought it home.

The Jackson DKMG is a Japanese made guitar. Mine was manufactured in 2008. The gloss black body is made of alder and it also has an arched top. (I do not recomend getting this color. Any time you touch the guitar, fingerprints show) I don't know if there is any benefit's with the arch top. So far with mine, I haven't noticed a HUGE difference because of the arched top. It also has a bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard. Two features that helped me with the purchase of this guitar was the EMG 81 85 combo and the licensed Floyd Rose. It has a 3 way selector switch for the EMG's. As far as accessories go, I didn't receive anything extra. I bought a hard shell case and new strings but that's about it.