DKMG review by Jackson

Jackson: DKMG

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music Store (In Hong Kong)

I play a wide variety of music ranging from artists like Gun's 'n' Roses, Joe Satriani, Scorpions and Ozzy Osbourne (and much more) and I found that with the proper amp settings, my guitar will do anything. I currently use my Toneport UX1 running through the Gearbox software on my computer. The bridge settings gives a very defined sound so even with major gain, the notes will be nice and clear, it's also got a bit more bite and Drive to it compared to the other settings. The bridge/neck setting seem to be a mix of the bridge and neck settings. The neck setting seems to be a bit brighter and isn't as high-gain as the bridge settings. I'd say that guitar would be more suited for hard rock/metal compared to jazz but you can't really be surprised at that if you're looking at a Jackson.

As stated before, I play a large variety of music but mainly hard rock stuff. With it's high gain active pickups, this thing is a perfect match for what I'm doing. I've been playing for about 5 years now but about 3 years seriously. I also own a Fender Standard Telecaster, a Vox AD15VT, a Line 6 Tone Port UX1, a Yamaha Acoustic and classical and a Squier Affinity Strat with a crappy Fender amp. I've got a few pedals but I can't be bothered to list them. If this guitar was stolen, I'd have to buy it again. Especially considering the price. I bought this thing for $3,800HKD which is about $500USD but it was during a Christmas sale. Despite that, it was only $4,900 originally ($550USD I'm guessing) which is an amazing price. This is definately the best guitar I have and I love it. I definately recommend it.

I've played it Live a couple of times and it's great. The guitar is pretty light weight which is great as I also have a Telecaster and that thing is a pain to carry. The hardware seems like it'll last for ages and there's no real need to modify anything. The strap buttons on mine are pretty good but one of them gets kinda loose itself and needs a screw but it's not really a problem. I wouldn't see myself bringing a back-up guitar for a gig unless I need a different tuning because this guitar would take way too long to re-tune. This guitar is also built like a tank, I've dropped it a couple times and I haven't even found a scratch. It's got an extremely tough body and neck.

The guitar was set up pretty well already when I bought it. Only thing I had to do was attach the locking tuners at the top and it was all good. The only problem that I do hear is that when I push down on the whammy, at a certain point I can hear this clicking noise and when I release it I'll hear it at the same point. I don't think this can be heard in recordings or through amps though so it's not a major problem.

I believe my Jackson DKMG was made in Japan. This is one of the newer models as I believe they featured EMG-Hz pickups before but mine has the classic EMG 81/85 pick-up pair. It should be made in 2008. It has 24 jumbo frets. The neck has a compound-radius bound rosewood fingerboard and the neck itself is made of maple. My DKMG has an alder body with a black forest finish. It has a Strat shape that you should realise it has. It's got a Licensed Floyd Rose that is great. It doesn't go out of tune but tuning it is a pain (but you get used to it after a while). It's got a 3-way selector with the options of Bridge, Bridge/Neck, and Neck. It's got a volume and tone control. As Floyd Roses do, it has locking tuners.

fuzzymunkee
    i just got this guitar, and im missing one of the nut screws and nut blocks. does anyone know the specs on this floyd rose?
    Atheistgreek
    this one or a schecter diamond c-1 blackjack??? i can`t decide which i should buy.. Can anyone help?? (DKMG HAS EMGs 85/81 and NOT HZs) (it`s 100-150 euros cheaper than the schecter)
    ItalianTank
    This guitar is God damn amazing! One of the best purchases I ever made. Looks, Sounds, and plays phenominal. EMG 81 and 85 made this guitar outstanding. It also has the best licensed floyed trem I have ever used. Get This! But make sure it has the 81 and 85 EMG's
    Try-N-Save
    Whis i could get it without the reverse headstock. But other than that its a great axe.
    Shinigamis