DKMGT review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6.4 Neat
Jackson: DKMGT

Purchased from: Dealer from EBAY (NAMM leftover)

I play a variety of music from 80's hair metal up to shreddable Malmstein type stuff. I got this guitar because I have an American made Jackson SLS-3 and an a mid-80's RR-1 and figured the Japanese made stuff (for like less than half the price) can't be that bad (plus I wanted to get the 81/85 sound, I had an ESP Eclipse II with this set up and the sound is just amazing)... BUT!

Overall - buy American if you want a Jackson and do not want the hassles of dealing with "tweaking it" from the get go. This was a real hassle and because I got it from EBAY and the dealer was out of state (across the country) I was stuck with it pretty much. I love Jackson (and Ibanez and ESP guitars) but in no way is this DKMGT half the guitar the SLS is. The sustain is not there with the bolt on neck, guitar is a lot lighter (alder? ) - might be OK to kick around with and gig with here or there but this is not a serious guitar and I am a serious musician.

This will be a back up guitar for me. Now that the neck is "right" I will use this behind my SLS in case I break a string or something. I wanted an inexpensive guitar but I did not expect to receive a "cheap guitar" and I would not have expected this from Jackson (do you guys have a QC department in Japan checking out your guitars before they ship to America or what? ).

This guitar came sealed in the original "Jackson Bloodline" box. I know it was display guitar at NAMM but right out of the box the neck needed to be relaxed and the 19th fret was just total junk. It was several mm's higher than the other frets. So this meant that when I adjusted the neck I could not really adjust the bridge to get really low action because the fret was "in the way." I tried to tap it down but I am not a luthier. In the end, I had to send this out to a luthier in NYC for a total fret job. This is on a guitar that is supposed to be new! It needed a $100 fret job from the factory? Jackson hello?!? Both my American made Jacksons were perfect out of the box and the SLS did not even need to be set up at by anyone, it was playable out of the case. But this Japanese Jackson came to me as complete crap!

This was a leftover, "display" guitar from NAMM 2010 I got from a dealer off EBAY. Made in Japan, has the active EMG's (81 & 85), a transparent black finish, has the "small pirhana inlays" on a rosewood neck which is bound and bolted on. Dinky Strat body with a single tone and volume knob. I convinced the dealer to throw in a Jackson OHSC with it (Japanese Jackson usually come with nothing or a gig bag).

seemeel
    A word of warning: EMG's HZ pickups are pretty woeful. My mate got the LTD ALEXI-600 which features a single HZ in the bridge, and when I tried it out, it was wholly unimpressive. Now that he has replaced it with an 85, the guitar sounds so much better. The HZ is a cheap pickup. Other than the pickup issue, this guitar seems to have the goods to be okay for those looking for a metal guitar. There is only one honest review on this page though. This is not a 9.5+/10 guitar...
    Koshman32
    Rizzo! wrote: J.Priest wrote: Actually, the DKMGT Dinky only has 2 knobs, a volume and tone. And it has EMG 81/85's in it, not HZ. Dont believe me? Look at the Jackson website. This was already explained, that is the DKMGT DINKY. This is only the DKMGT - it was discontinued in 2006 for the Dinky version, which has active EMGs. And this guitar only has two knobs too.
    The Dinky is just the body type.
    Pingis_Or_Death
    Why is it that 90 % of these reviewers play through low wattage (often shitty) solid state practice amps? Seriously?
    cnc4c34
    This is my favorite guitar I've ever owned (and I've owned many). It's very difficult to go to a guitar without a turbocharger now. The HZ pickups are very standard so you definitely want to replace with, in my opinion, the Zack Wylde set of one EMG81 and one EMG85. If you haven't used a guitar with a turbocharger, you have no idea what you're missing. This guitar is incredible, as I've owned it since 2005.
    cnc4c34
    ksmash5 wrote: Which are better the Hz's or the 85 n 81's? I was told that the Hz's were the cheaper of the two.
    The HZ's are just the standard pickups the guitar normally comes with. The 81 and 85's you generally have to upgrade to, hence they appreciate the value of the guitar.
    cnc4c34
    DK stands for Dinky. MG stands for EMG pickups T stands for turbocharger Why are people making a big deal of whether it's a dinky model or not? It should have been obvious just reading the model name.
    benjamman
    way right now. Both are the previous generation with HZ pickups, which I happen to like quite a bit more than active EMGs. The HZs are far less ice picky sounding, have a little more warmth to them. Again, I don't play out an out metal either so they work great for me.
    benjamman
    Actually T stands for Tunomatic (fixed) bridge. I currently have a DKMG with a Jackson floyd type bridge and the HZs. I just purchased a DKMGT trans black that is still in transit to me. These earlier gen DKMGs are incredible guitars. And they are out of alder, not basswood I believe. And I actually prefer the non-active HZs. They are warmer, less ice pick like than the active ones but still have great clarity and bite. I guess I'm the only one who prefers that here though.