DX10D Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: DX10D Dinky

Purchased from: Cookes Band Instruments

I play all sorts of styles of music, and the DX10D is perfect for heavy rock though less good for other forms of music. The bridge pickup is good but the neck pickup lacks warmth. Because it has only one decent sounding pickup, it is difficult to create a wide variety of good sounds. Many people replace the pickups, and it is easy to see why.

For heavy rock this guitar is brilliant and can make you sound like any of the greats, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Slash etc. I tried other similar guitars but found this to be the best value for money. If it was stolen and I had 300 or less to spend to replace it, I would buy it again. I am a guitar teacher and it is versatile enough for me to use every day for work; it has received many compliments from my students for it's good looks. The thing I dislike most about it is the impracticality of retuning to other tunings (which occur a lot in heavy rock music) and for this reason you would need to use another guitar for different tunings when playing Live. The tuning difficulty is the price you pay for having the Floyd Rose tremolo system, which of course has many benefits. Wouldn't it be amazing if somebody could invent a guitar with a Floyd Rose type tremolo system and locking nuts, which was easy to retune to different tunings?!

This guitar is very durable and fine for Live playing - I've yet to break a string (apart from when I forgot to loosen a locking nut when tuning using the machine heads - idiot! ) If you did break a string Live it would be impossible to continue with five strings because the tension based nature of the tremolo system would put it horrendously out of tune. For this reason, it would not be wise to gig without a back up, unless you don't mind stopping your set for 5-10 minutes whilst replacing a string and tuning up.

The intonation is perfect now (though wasn't when I bought it) and the action is good, though not quite as low as I'd like. I think it could go lower with a twist or two of the truss rod, though I've yet to try this. There are no flaws, and it is a very nicely put together guitar. I've had it about a year and noticed recently that the fine tuners are getting a little stiff, though nothing too serious.

This guitar has one volume knob, one tone knob and two pickups; it's a shame it doesn't have three pickups like many electric guitars. It has a Floyd Rose tremolo system and locking nuts, which is great for staying in tune and playing heavy rock. However, the sensitive nature of the Floyd Rose does create minor problems, such as when you bend one string and play another simultaneously, the unbent string is made flat in pitch by the bending of the other string. This, of course, is a problem all guitars with a Floyd Rose system have. However, it is easier to tune than some Ibanezs I have tried, which are so sensitive that they can take half an hour to tune up. It is also possible to detune to drop D tuning using the fine tuners, with no need to loosen the locking nuts and tune it with the machine heads (though it does take at least 30 seconds, which is impractical for Live playing). Again, with some Ibanezs I have tried it would be impossible to detune to drop D without loosening the locking nuts and using the machine heads. My guitar is black and has 24 frets. It seems to chip relatively easily.

mcjared9
    i just bought this guitar and the only problem i have with it that the high notes dont have much sustain.especially the high e string.how can i fix this?would better pickups help?
    GunLeatherGuy
    Its a nice guitar....the older DX10's have alder bodies...from 03 era. The newer ones are basswood! I like the alder better.....its a better wood for metal/hard rock! For those of you who say the floyd sucks! The Jt580 is the best licensed floyd you can get! Ive got Ping, OFR's, Schallers, Gotohs....Ib Edge Pro's..and this is as good as any of them.... Just learn how to set them up and they work forever. Rock and roll.....
    alfredc23
    damn this great..even with teh duncan designed..theyre usually for hard rock easy metal type... but even the clean is pretty badass....
    megadethfan 666
    why do i keep hearing people saying jackson is not metal because they are owned by fender when all members of Iron Maiden, john 5, and Yngwie Malmsteen all use fender and thats not even talking about the people that use jackson Adrian Smith(Iron Maiden) Mark Morton, John Cambell(Lamb of God) Matt Tuck(Bullet for My Valentine) Randy Rhoads(Ozzy Ozbourne)R.I.P. Phill Demmel(Machine Head) Christian Olde Wolbers(Arkaea) Criss Broderick, David Ellefson(Megadeth) Scott Ian(Anthrax
    JsX1313
    i've had this guitar for about 4 years i keep it in drop d tuning or c and only use it for metal songs. this guitar is solid never had an problems with anything on the guitar one of the best metal guitars i have ever owned it really can take a beating. i have a epiphone les paul for the other softer shit.i wouldnt sell or trade my jackson for anything it has been with me for most of my live playing and i cant give her up.
    flyfshr
    I just picked up a used one from the classifieds for 200 canadian, an oldie, got some scratches and dings but plays and sounds great, took the neck off to see and mine is made in 2001