DXMG review by Jackson

Jackson: DXMG

Purchased from: GAK

I play metal, from early Metallica (pre-metallica album including metallica) to Black Sabbath. I mainly play Slayer though. These pickups a brilliant, they have a lot of guts in them. The neck provides a great base to solo on, and the bridge is a straight out grunting monster. Quite quiet, I just get a hum from my amp (which is a crappy Kustom KGA10). I don't use any effects as of yet, but I am planning on getting the Boss PW-10. The pickups do carry forward a bit of mud (possibly to much mid range in them) but thats nothig an EQ wont fix, if only I had one.

This guitar is very well built, and versitile. It is brilliant for metal, but can be used for any genre. I've been playing for 4 (coming up to 5) years and I am entirly self taught (no teacher or lessons here), I think this guitar is brilliant. I own a shitty Encore Strat copy, which was my first guitar. This is my second. I am planning on getting 2 EMG 81's or an 81 and 85 after I buy a new amp (I like the Laney HCM30). I may get a pw-10 as I said earlier, that thing is amazing (customisable sounds, voice mode, 6-9 distortion pedals built in, cry baby, bad horsie and vox wah pre-defined). I heared that kahler are starting to make bridges again, I may get one of those beasts.

I'm not in a band as of yet, but I am planning on jamming with a friend and maybe a band will form from it. This guitar is solid as a rock.

When I got it, the action was set a bit too high for my liking (something like 4/16 on the 12th fret), so I have lowered it to 2/16. I've fiddled with the pickup heights and have achived the perfect height now. There were no nicks on the finish, and still aren't and I've had it since march. The thin neck allows me to play at fast speeds (the other day, I recorded myself and clock myself playing comfortably at 254.577BPM. I guess my max speed will be about 280-310BPM) which make me the aledged fastest guitarist in my school. There is a problem with my volume pot however, when I turn it from 0 I will get a lot of static it will clear at about 4-5 and return at about 9-10. When I reach 10 the sound can sometimes cut out until I nudge is fractionally down towards 9. My allen key has eaten a lot from one screw in a nut clamp (but I've shifted it to the 5-6 string clamp and all is well again). The 6th string clamp on the saddle is starting to rust a tiny bit, but it ain't doing no harm. The bridge is floating well, there is absolute minimum pitch change when I do a major dive and return to normal.

This axe was made around 2002-2003 in Japan, it has a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck. Bolt-on construction with an alder body. A reversed Jackson headstock, moto (i.e. cheap mother of pearl) sharkfin inlays. 2 EMG-Hz H1 passive pickups (the pickups are made for Jackson with a solid cover, not available in the shops like this). 24 frets with jumbo fretwire, and a Jackson made Floyd Rose double locking tremolo system. The tuners are Jackson made. 1 volume and 1 tone pot, plus a 3 way pickup selector.