DXMG review by Jackson

Jackson: DXMG

Purchased from: Grand Central Music

The sound of this guitar is what actually made me write this review. I play a wide variety of music, but my favorite genre would have to be metal. I play pre-self titled Metallica, Jason Becker, Dethklok, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, Dragonforce, and all different kinds of complex guitar music. In every situation, this guitar performs like nothing I have ever had before. I hear every nuance in speed picking Metallica riffs, blazing sustain in harmonized arpeggios, and when I tune to c or even a I get gut wrenching chunk out of the lows. The best way to describe the sound of this guitar is versatile. It can be used for any tone style or genre of music. I use a Line 6 spider something or other with a cry baby and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone. I had an off-brand squire Strat when I fist started playing almost 8 years ago, then I got a Schecter in my freshmen year of high school. After I started defining how I played, I decided that I wanted to get a Gibson SG. I got it in my sophomore year along with a Marshall full stack. That guitar was OK compared to the DXMG. I sold my Marshall to finance a gaming computer, but that's a different story. Retail, I paid 800 for the SG, and sold it to a friend last year for 300$ to buy the DXMG. The DXMG can hit every squeal or pinch you want. The only problem that I have noticed is hitting the natural harmonic on the low E 3rd fret is sometimes muddy and hard to achieve. Other than that, anything is possible on this guitar. I haven't noticed any buzzing or noise that distracts me from playing. Other than the problem with the 3rd fret, this guitar will perform beautifully for anyone with skill above a begginner.

This guitar can perform for any style of music, but for you poor metal heads out there, this is the absolute best guitar you can get for its price. After almost 8 years of playing, I've gone through 3 guitars 4 amps, and 1000's of picks, but I'll tell you all something; I wish that I would have kept my full stack to combine with this guitar. If someone stole my guitar from me, they better hope I never find them. The pain and suffering I will bring to their life will be unmatched. The only thing I wish it had are EMG 81 and 85. Otherwise, I will replace this guitar with itself until they stop making them.

This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. In fact the other day, I spent about 8 hours straight without setting the guitar down, and I was still in perfect tune from beginning to end. I attribute that to the locking tremolo which is tough to get used to at first but once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite simple. The hardware seems like it was forged in a volcano; no rattles, no wobbles, no nothing. I was very surprised to hear that people have had trouble with the volume knob and their selector Switch. Using this guitar in a gig without a backup is possible, but definitely not wise. What if a light fell on it and crushed the pickups? Or tripped on a patch cord and stood up to discover your axe is in two parts? Always be prepared, take 2 DXMG's! The finish is incredibly durable, I have yet to scratch it or see a thin spot. I've even ran it into doors without marking it, knocked it into a counter top, and while stretching, introduced the headstock into my ceiling fan. This guitar is tough as nails.

The guitar was set up perfectly, whether it was set up in the factory or the store I purchased it from. The action was perfect because I have light to medium weight fingers, and I can play almost anything with no strain. The pickups were perfect as well, to this day I have yet to adjust them. I am, however, going to Switch out the pickups for EMG-81, 85 when I can save up enough money. Everything was set up perfect, off the shelf this guitar is ready to shred, pluck, drop, and throw (not recommended) any time of the day, any day of the week. No adjustments are need for an intermediate player, but for those Who are beyond the basics, this guitar can be customized with pickups and some really minor stuff, to be an excellent affordable axe.

This guitar was made in 2005 in japan. It has 24 jumbo frets, on a rosewood neck. Alder double cut-away body, gun metal gray finish. It's a very basic guitar. Reverse headstock, crappy Jackson tuners (which don't matter because of locking tremolo), licensed Floyd Rose locking tremolo. 1 volume 1 tone, 2 EMG-HZ passive pickups, and a whammy bar.