JS1 Dinky review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Jackson: JS1 Dinky

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Pro Musica Cork

I play almost excusively metal, but as this is moreor less the cheapest thing Jackson have on offer, it doesn't really have a style it suits. The pickups are, in all honesty, rubbbish, probably the worst part of the guitar, but as this was my first guitar, it did me fine for a good year or more. It tokk me a long time to realise how bad it sounded. I use it witt a Peavey Vypyr 15 watt amp, with as much distortion squeezed out of it as possible (which is a lot), and it still wont deliver a decent sound a lot of the time. You can play more or less whatever style you want on this, because in the end, its never really going to sound all that good anyway. Realistically, you should only buy this as a starting guitar.

Overall, buy this guiatr as a first, but nothing else. You would be crazy even to buy it as a second guitar. I have now moved onto an ESP LTD F-350, which is infinately better. If I'd had the chance, or thought about it, I'd ahve asked more about the pickups, because they really are dire. If it was stolen.. At this stage its only value to me is sentimental, as my first guitar. I wouldn't replace it, I'd either use it to buy a new amp or save the money for an upgrade. I didn't compare it to much else in the shop ', but I'm not sure about my desicion now. I wish it had better action, new ppickups, and locking tuners so the tremelo could be used.

This has never once failed me while playing, except after massive (and unwise) changes in tuning when a high e string way have broken. I might also point out that the whammy bar is more or less out of bounds unless you barely touch it when using it, as the lack of locking tuners means it goes instantly out of tune. The hardware shows no sign of failing, and the starp buttons are very solid, but the strap did come off (just once!) when I bent over with it on. Its a dependable guitar for a gig, but it sounds so bad that I wouldn't bring it to a gig anyway. I have no problems wihtt he finish, but for some reason it seems to statically atract dust: if I clean it and leave for 5 mins, I could come back to it as dirty as before (even in clean rooms). Aslo because its black fingerprints show up really easily.

Guitar came badly set up, tho I didn't realise it at the time. The intonation is still bad to this day, and the action was high, although I have sinced fixed this (very easy to do). The low strings buzzed at the low frets too at first, but that was again an easy fix. The guitar was well put together at least, no obvious unsightlyness, but then its a mass produced model. There were no visable flaws. At the end of the day thoug, its not a guitar that can be played very easily. The gaps between strings are a little odd, and the actiona has to e set too high to avoid buzzing.

Not sure when this came out but its made in India. 22 standart frets, bolt on maple neck with a rosewood fretboard.648 ml scale, 42 ml nut, vinatge 2 point tremelo, and 2 Jackson JE10 passive humbucker pickups. It has a black satin finish, Strat body style with a reverse headstock, 1 volume control, 1 tone control, 3 way pickup selector. Also it came with a gigbag, and an micro cube thrown in for about 30 euro. It also has comfort curves in the bady, which make it so much more comfortable to play.