JS20 Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: JS20 Dinky

Purchased from: Alans Music

So, I play a whole lot of everything, ranging from chuck berry to megadeath, and as far as sound goes I'd say this guitar has everything you could ever want for those tones, and everythin in between. I'm playing this through a Crate GT65 and a Crate 4X12 Cab, with a whole bunch of effects pedals. From what I can gather after having played it for around about a year, it has a all round fuller sound, perhaps a little on the dark side for some styles, but it'll still pull it off if you try hard enough.

Like I said before I play everything, and I play in a screamo-ish band, this guitar is capable of every style more or less, but it excells in metal and punk. If someone stole this, I'd first find them and kill them, the go right ahead and buy the next model up, just for the pickups. I've been through about 7 guitars in two years, starting with some dodgy samicks, up to a couple of Ibanez's and an Epiphone SG, but I've found perfecting in this guitar and a J&D LP. The only real flaw with this guitar is it's sub-par stock pickups, but that can be fixed with one quick replacement job, then you'll be set for the best guitaring experience of your life.

This guitar can and will withstand Live playing, I play in a band similar to SOTY, not only in sound, but stage presence too, so as you can tell this guiatr definitly gets a beating, especially when my "crew" manage not to catch it when I throw it to them. I've got the ol' strap locks on it after an unfortunate guitar spin incident where my singer got knocked out. As a rule I'll never play a gig without a backup, for two reasons, saves me from changing tunings on stage, and incase I destroy one of my guitars. But if it was entirely neccesary I would and could play Live with this lil number.

I got the guitar in damn near perfect condition, then the next day I somehow dropped it and, suspense, it's still perfect. The pickup heights were a lil off, and the action was a little to high for my liking. Apart from those minor flaws, the thing was all set up n ready to go straight outta the shop.

Aiight, mine is a 2006 model Jackson JS20DK, it's your basic 22 fret neck with a rosewood fingerboard, the body is super-Strat style solid basswood with a metallic blue finish. Mine has and original double locking floyd rose trem, though you can get them with a Tune-O-Matic stoptail. The stock pickups were pretty average passive pickups, so I swapped 'em for an EMG 81 set. It's comes with one tone and one volume control and a 3 way blade selector, it's got locking grover tuners.

piratemetalhead
    I have one of these, their pretty awesome. Nealy Flawless in my opinion, save for the fact that you can't get a bright Fender tone, or a warm Gibson tone. But these guys really are only around 230 bucks, so yeah, you cant expect that. My volume knob on mine is a bit wobbly, though. And yeah, this guitar is very versatile.
    GuitarShreDR69
    I picked up one at a local pawn shop bout 2 months ago. Pretty good condition too enxept that the neck was a little warped but fixed it for $20. The Floyd Rose is a pain when I need to cjange a string. It sounds great and I recomend it. It might be because it has had custom, hand-made pickups that someone made in their garage put in it though.
    mitchelldavis
    TomG10-7
    mitchelldavis wrote: i have a js20 and i was wondering if you installed that floyd rose bridge into it becuase mine only has a standard american bridge in it
    Yo can install Floyds but it requires alot of work and a hell of lot of routing, your JS20 should have come with a Trem?