JS20 Dinky review by Jackson

Jackson: JS20 Dinky

Purchased from: GAK

I play metal, leaning more towards the chunky metal riff style (Stephan Carpenter of Deftones being one of my major influences for my style) and I'm playing through Peavey Vypyr 30 amp. When playing with the bridge, playing has a great bite to it and sounds really, really nice. I occasionally play with the single coils but they really don't do it for me. On a lower gain setting, they sound pretty nice if you're playing something a bit less heavy, like say, The Smiths or Team Sleep, a good defined bass-ey sound but they hum a beast if you have the gain anywhere past 12 o'clock. An example of what I would use the single coils for is Kyuss' 'Asteroid' and it delivers really well on that kind of song, but not on much else, unless you play with very little gain. Back to the bridge 'bucker now, it sounds really nice, but the sound can get quite muddy, especially with higher gain + lower tuning (I play quite a bit of drop C) but it still sounds really powerful and picks up harmonics and the like with ease.

This is my first guitar that wasn't a handmedown from my brother. It should serve as my main guitar until something awful happens to it and it gives up the ghost or goes missing, but that shouldn't be a problem. It's a great guitar to learn and improve on and I don't regret buying it. Viva La Jackson!

I have had very few problems with the guitar in the time I've been playing it. There are a few bumps and scratches from things being dropped on it, and one the saddles has mysteriously had a large chunk cut out of it, which I didn't actually realise until changing strings. One problem I've had with it is that the input for cables comes loose very easily and regularly, even when really tightening it, it still comes loose very quickly. Another is that the trem arm dosnt want to seem to come out and just goes further in if you loosen it, but this isn't really a major gripe for me. I have not played this live yet, but I'm sure it will survive it easily, it hardly ever comes out of tune, even after a few hours of playing, it will only need a very small amount of adjustments (namely the g string, which seems to come out of tune a lot more easily than others).

This is amazing to play, its incredibly smooth and you can riff and solo away with no problems atall, which it really a necessity with me, I would definitely recommend the JS20 for this reason. No adjusting needed to be made apart from when I changed the action to accommodate chunkier strings (it cam fitted with 9's) and it plays just as good, if not more smoothly now.

I'm not sure what year it was made in, but I know that it was made in India. The neck is made of Maple and it's bolt on, and the fingerboard is Indian Rosewood (a lot of india in this guitar). The body is made of India Cedro (Cedar I believe) and the body is what I've heard described as 'super-strat'. I bought it in black, but it comes in natural, red and blue aswell. The bridge is Strat style, there is a 5 way selector Switch and a volume + tone nob. The pickups are HSS passive, and are all made by Jackson. The headstock has non-locking Jackson tuners and the guitar came with a great gig bag.