JS22 Dinky review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Jackson: JS22 Dinky

Price paid: C$ 228

Purchased from: long&mcquade

It suits my style alright, I do mostly metal in all forms, but the pickups sound way to chirpy for my liking so they'll be gone asap and replacer duncans later on, however they do have alot of treble behind them(sweet for solos) and artificial harmonis ring out very clearly.

For metal its great as a back up or upgrade for some kid just getting away from their squire, if it were lost I'd look 4 another one just because for the price its a great guitar although there are a few weakpoints, if it were stole I'd kill the sob that did it, not because its some incredible guitar but because its mine bought and paid for. I love the neck on it its great, smooth fills up my hand nicely and those inlays look sweet, also the strap buttons are solid as a rock which is a must for me because I never stand in one spot while playing, I'm usuall trying to pull off a solo on top of a pool table or bar stool and I'm pretty sure even a Gibson would take a nasty spill if dropped like that. The only things I wish this had were stonger pickups with more bottom end and a tune o matic style bridge other than that I'm pleased with what I got for the price.

This guitar would withstand playing live its done it a couple times, the strap buttons on this hold great and they are wide enough to keep your guitar securley around your waist, the finish is great on mine but I've seen others that look like they've gone through hell just off a couple small bumps so I guess its hit and miss, wiith my Gibson lost do to lack of job I have no choice but to use this without a backup and it has yet to fail me.

Everything fit tightly and was properley installedim not saying anything about the action because thats personal preferance of the player.the electric red finish looks awesome and the rosewood fretboard lets you glide lik your playing on glass, in all honesty the neck is probably the best thing on this guitar, as far as the tremolo, I never use the I find they get in the way but I'd imagine that with the stock tuners and bridge it wouldn't hold too well.

Lets see, its electric with Shark fin inlays, two humbucker pickups, 24 jumbo frets, 25.5" scale 3 way selector Switch and a volume and tone knob controlling everything. Made of indian cedro, rock maple bolt on neck, reversed headstock, vintage style tremolo and stock tuners. I'm only giving this a 6 because although everything fits well and does what its supposed to its not very hard to tell they used some pretty low budget parts, but for 228 bucks you can't really argue.

r0ckth3d34n
    Don't say something stupid like that again. Thanks.
    guitar4eternity
    Why must we insult each other? It's pointless to argue someones opinion of a guitar. If they like it, then don't argue!
    jee5678
    Shabalaba
    Clueless, please refrain from speaking again.
    jeffmetalhead
    pistachiolopez wrote: im gonna clarify a few things, a:this sit is "mostly meta because that is one of the few genres were people still play their own instruments. b:ITS A JACKSON! play something else on yeah it can be done but with the pickups it maY SOUND OFF EVEN THOUGH THE PLAYER IS GREAT c:i know my grammar suck thats what happens when u sit in class and play guitar alld like i did goin through school c:pickups make a huge difference, yeah the wood and player has alot to do with it but different pickups significantly change the tone, thanks for readin but for rhodes sake shut up with the pointless arguing!
    well some people need to be told their wrong and arguing or debating where they are wrong is helpful.
    depech
    I bought the js22R recently. I don't play metal so I tried how it sounded clean so it could suit other styles I like, and it has full, rich tones. Needless to say it sounds great with distortion. I find the finish beautiful, the neck has compound radius, an uncommon feature in this range or even higher prices, and the inlays are cool. I don't use the tremolo. The guitar is very playable, the neck feels and looks very good. Reversed headstocks looked weird to me but I find it gives easier access to the tuners. The sound through my also new Frontman 25R is bright and clear, yet deep, in the clean tones, and it handles distortion great (which I assume is to be expected). Two issues: The jack for the plug had to be opened and adjusted, and it goes out of tune now and then. I think that can be fixed easily, though. It's light weight but not too much, well balanced. The tone knob really does its job. Knobs are solid. It has an incredible price and comes with an original gigbag. the pickups have less output than My Fender Blacktop strat's humbuckers, but they have enough for what I play, I wouldn't change them because I like their sound. The review says it's a good guitar to move away from a squier. I own a squier with standard strat configuration, it's not as well finished but has the classic strat sound, I love it and won't move away from it. My MIM Blacktop strat has better finish and body wood, and allows 5 positions with two humbuckers, very versatile. But the Jackson is something different, you can play with high gain, and you can still use it for blues or rock. Simple and effective. Very nice instrument, incredible price and value. I'd recommend it.
    MaggaraMarine
    jee5678 wrote: It suits my style alright, I do mostly metal in all forms, but the pickups sound way to chirpy for my liking so they'll be gone asap and replacer duncans later on... Dude...I wouldn't bother sticking different pickups in this thing. I'm all for the "player making the music, not the guitar" concept, but at the same time...I would take the $100-200 you'd spend and put it towards a better geet. By the by, the wood the body is made out of has JUST as much influence on the sound as the pickups (it's good to keep in mind whilst shopping aboots).
    I agree. What's the point in upgrading the pickups if the guitar doesn't feel great or goes out of tune all the time? You could save the $ 200 you are spending on new pickups and buy a better feeling guitar with Floyd (if you like whammy bars) and if it needs upgrading then upgrade the pickups of your new guitar. More expensive guitars usually feel better and keep tuning better because they use better quality parts and wood and there might not even be a need to upgrade your pickups.
    TheSunNSIRussia
    mine is white, but i replaced the default pups with EMG HZ H4. really nice tone with medium gauge strings. i took out the original strap buttons and replaced them with Dimarzio cliplocks (very handy) so that i don't ever have to worry about drops. the bridge is good and stays in multiple tunings when tuned twice, once you use the trem though, your tuning is gone, so i never use it. its my main guitar and is good for multiple genres and i believe it is worth more than the $250 i originally payed. though the EMGs are $60 each and the strap was $20-30.
    jeffmetalhead
    Yeah it's just like arguing/debating with Christians/Young Earth Creationist about how evolution is fact and creation is a myth from the Bronze Age.
    jeffmetalhead
    zerocenx wrote: Jsteele1408 wrote: zerocenx wrote: ANOTHER "mostly metal" review... is this site populated by nothing more than metal players? whatever, this guitar might be good for the price, although i'd change the trem for a floyd if possible. Well, it IS a Jackson. They're pretty much designed with metal players in mind. well, obviously. but he could've said something like "This guitar fits my rock(jazz, classical, country, blues, or w/e) taste" instead of the usual "Mostly metal"
    Read the review again he says his style is metal (no mention of any other style) and based on that he thinks it a great guitar to play metal. Here is what he should say and what everyone should think before making a comment... It's a guitar. Therefore you can play any style you like on it regardless of brand or model. The only contributing factors is that some brands and models with addition to the features they have are more suited for a particular style.
    pistachiolopez
    Choogly
    And why does he have to do that? And who the hell would play classical on a low end electric instead of on an actual nylon string?
    zerocenx
    Jsteele1408
    Well, it IS a Jackson. They're pretty much designed with metal players in mind.
    LP94
    seemeel wrote: a little bit of grammar would have been nice.
    As long as you make yourself understood But it would have been nice, yes.
    seemeel
    Reads like a good, honest review. Not bad. Although some proofreading, and even a little bit of grammar would have been nice.
    zerocenx