JS23 Dinky review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Jackson: JS23 Dinky

Price paid: € 199

Purchased from: Thomann

I play mostly hard rock and metal, but also blues rock. This guitar doesn't suit my music style at all, since it seems more a toy than a musical instrument. At home I use a Fender Mustang I amp, and on it I use lots of different presets, mostly presets that suit hard rock and metal playing however. Pickups quality is very poor, sometimes I can't even distinguish a chord from another. Cleans totally lack in personality, distorted tones are, as I said before, very noisy, making very difficult to play riffs clearly.

I play almost all genres of metal, hard rock but also blues. This guitar, for the reasons specified above, isn't a good match. Now I have a Yamaha RGX 420, that is really a great guitar; before buying this Jackson JS23 Dinky, I had a 160 euros Ibanez GAX30 (that was better than this Jackson in almost every aspect) and an Ibanez ART320. I'd surely would not buy it again; I would get something else. An advice: if you want to buy a Jackson, take, for example, a Demmelition King V PDX, which I think is a great choice; don't buy these poor quality entry level guitars.

I don't know if this guitar could withstand live playing; overall, it seems to be durable enough, but I highly doubt that anyone would play this guitar in a live concert. If I had to play live, I'd surely not have used this guitar, maybe just for a backup (if I didn't have something better to carry with me. Anyway, the natural finish seems pretty solid; it doesn't seem easy to wear off with lots of playing. The strap button seems to be ok too. This guitar, however, doesn't suit live playing because of the tuning problems, I think. It's very hard to play more songs one by one, if your guitar goes continuously out of tuning.

When I received it, the guitar had the action enough well setted; however, everything on this guitar seems to be very poor in quality. For example, the tremolo is on this guitar just for beauty, because as soon as I touch it, the guitar goes out of tuning. Also the tuners are pretty ridiculous; I didn't manage to keep the guitar in tuning for more than 15 minutes, when I played it. The bridge is also certainly not fabulous. The neck is probably the worst point in this guitar: it is very uncomfortable, and playing chords on it is not the easiest thing. Overall, a very poor quality guitar, as I said above.

This Jackson JS23 Dinky was made in India, not sure when. It has 24 jumbo frets, a solid top, Indian cedar body, rosewood neck, and natural finish. This is a Super-Strat body style guitar, with a 2-point fulcrum tremolo. The pickups are passive; the pickup configuration is HSS. The exact pickup models are: 1x Jackson SE JE10 humbucker, 2x Jackson JE14 single coil. There is a control for volume, another for tone, and a 5-way switch. The tuners are Die-Cast tuners model. There was a good gig bag with this guitar when I purchased it.

dvanhandel96
    I have one of these and it is extremely easy to play. I would replace the tuners though, as they really suck.
    LastHorizon82
    Best guitar for 200 is this! the js23! Great compound board, pretty decent pups (better than Ibanez inf pups imo) and looks cooler than a pacifica