JS30DK Dinky review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Jackson: JS30DK Dinky

Price paid: C$ 360

Purchased from: Bobby Lalonde Music

For all of the comfort this guitar has to offer, it's sound makes it completely useless. They sound dull and lifeless. Of course, it's not made to play clean; this is a shred guitar and is meant to handle tons of distortion, but even then, they lack personality. I play noisy ambient music, and even when hidden behind layers of fuzz, the pickups sound anemic and uninspiring. After buying this guitar Brand New, I found myself using my brother's ravaged old Epiphone SG Special (a beginner pack guitar) because of how alive it sounded compared to the Dinky. The JS30DK makes sound, but that's about where the good points end.

I bought this guitar essentially for the rose, but it soon became unuseable. The sheer dullness of the Jackson pickups made it a terrible match for the tyle of music I play; tone is key in ambient music, and this guitar simply didn't cut it. I sold the Dinky, at the time having nothing to compare it to but a ravaged old SG and a similarly beat-up MIM Telecaster. I found myself completely neglecting the Dinky in favour of the other two (much cheaper) guitars. I now own a Fender Jaguar Special and an Vintage Yamaha surf guitar, both of which suit my purposes much better. I really wish I hadn't bought it on impulse; everything sounds good when you're excited about it. Thanks to the jumbo frets, this is one of the most comfortable guitars you'll play in this price range, but after you try it out, you realise that you can get a better tone out of a Squier or a beginner's Epiphone.

I sold this guitar only four months after buying it, and for very cheap, because I was afraid I'd run into trouble in a Live situation. The licensed rose was a bad idea. After only a few months of using it for general whammy stuff (no abusing it and divebombing), it began to feel shaky, and the bar began jiggling in it's hole. Before long, I was afraid the rose would fall apart. The finish is extremely thin and cracks off with the slightest neglect of the guitar. As stated above, the buttons were poorly fitted and would constantly come loose. I found myself having to screw them in on a weekly basis to keep my guitar from ending up on the floor.

The set-up was decent, as far as I could tell. The strings had stretched while it was on display at the store, so it was locked into the rose while slighly out of tune, but the people there fixed it up before I took it home. The strap buttons were poorly fitted into the body and were the cause of much grief during my ownership of this guitar.

Indian-made. The Dinky features 22 jumbo frets on a maple neck. The body is indian cedro. It has a gorgeous see-through black flame finish and chrome hardware. The slightly more aggressive superstrat-style shape and reverse headstock make it clear that this guitar is made to play metal. It features a (licensed) Floyd Rose tremolo system. The controls are about as simple as they get: one tone knob, one volume knob, and a three-way pickup selector switch similar to a Telecaster's. The JS30 sports Jackson's own humbuckers encased in dull black plastic. This is a very comfortable guitar to play, but the licensed rose and the humbuckers aren't really up to par.

henryfp
    I think your problems with the tuning are just bad luck, 'cause I've got one of those jacksons js30dk and the tuning hasn't got any kind of problem...
    Xx aLi N 123 xX
    i'm thinkin of gettin the hardtail version can someone reccommend it i like rock and metal and ive been playin 2 years
    CanadianRocker!
    I've been playing about 6 years now, I have the Indian version of the JS30 and I love it, the quality is really good, so much bang for the buck, it's quite bassy in the low end (can even sound like a bass if you want) and the highs are sweet and they scream, perfect for the heaviest metal, rock and even some blues, some clean or acoustic as well, all sound great, the stock pickups are pretty good too, no need to change them, save your money for a good amp instead, no problems with it going out of tune and I bend the shit out of the strings constantly, only problem was just after I bought it I discovered the input jack was loose, easy fix if your handy, that's it, the black paint job is sweet, shiny and flawless, the bolt on neck is fast, the body as compared to the neck is a bit on the heavy side but you get used to it anyway, probably gives better sustain with a heavier wood anyhow, the reverse headstock makes it stand out more and is on the evil looking side which is cool, I highly recommend this inexpensive bad boy if your looking to purchase a new Jackson for around $300 if you can find a used one for around $150-200 it's definteley worth checkin out, no plans on selling mine for a good long while!!