JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail review by Jackson

Jackson: JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music Worx

I play many different things and I was basically looking for an affordable guitar that was comfortable whether sitting or standing (not to mention a top-notch neck). I have to emphasise the feel of the neck firstly. After playing with a few month old Samick bass, which has a neck as thick as the one on my shoulders, it was a great relief to find this little wonder, which has a neck depth of approximately 2 cms (not including the frets). The JS30DKT is good for pretty much anything you care to play, it lends itself to some abusive metal (i.e. Slipknot, or anything drop-D) but can produce some very sweet sounding solos and melodies (a-la Something For Kate). I use a Line 6 30-watt Spider II which affords me any versatility that the guitar cannot. The electronics/pots and the pickups aren't noisy at all. The bolt-on neck detracts from some of the sustain of the body, but after minimal work, some Clean channel chords last forever. I've played Metallica (MoP), Slipknot (it handled a drop B tuning without hassle), Something For Kate, Offspring, Megadeth, and pulled of Queens Of The Stone Age with not a worry in the world. Makes Tangled Up In Plaid sound pro.

If it were stolen then yes, I would find another just like it. I love the neck and the finish. I hate the fact that it's only 3-way selstor for the pickups not a 5-way. I compared it to a few cheap Ibanez'z and this come out the winner. Although I want a tremolo bar, I'm glad I took the standard bridge as a tremolo fu--ks up the tuning so quick.

Live playing? Totally! The hardware is damn nice to look at and I haven't snapped anything yet so yea, we'll see. Somehow I don't think that Jackson would try and cheat it's customers. The strap buttons were a major concern when choosing a new guitar, and these are unmovable, which is good cause I've seen some shockers. The finish is plain and wouldn't wear at all.

Absolutely amazing finish, no noticable flaws even after a major inspection from tuners to input jack.

Made in India, 2005; 24 jumbo frets; solid top; body is made of solid alder; neck is made of maple; fingerboard is made of rosewood; gloss black finish; body styling is reminiscent of a Strat, but with more aggresive cutaways and beautifully crafted edges galore; adjustable JT390 string-thru; active electronics; Master Volume and Master Tone controls as well as a 3-way pickup selector (all silver); pickups consist of a bridge humbucker and a neck humbucker and both are Jackson's own CVR2's(black); plain old die-cast tuners (silver).

jthm_guitarist
    I hate the fact that it's only 3-way selstor for the pickups not a 5-way.
    The JesterHead
    Bought mine two months ago, and I never regret doing so. I've played classical guitar a year and a half before that, and I needed a change, so I got the JS30DKT (being a beginner), and a 75W Randall amp... Couldn't be more satisfied
    Xx aLi N 123 xX
    i think i'm getting this can someone reccomend it i like rock and metal and ive been playin 2 years
    Rick540
    I also want to know why this guitar shows a locking nut in some photos.
    Mudvayne_LP
    NoNameLess wrote: Are there locking nuts on this guitar? And if there is, Why? Anything weird when you tune. Like a tremolo or something?
    no there isnt a tremolo, its a string-thru body.
    NoNameLess
    NoNameLess
    Im going to buy this so that i can play in other tunings. becuse i have a Ibanez RGR-320EX but it has floyd rose. so it take some time to change the tuning. Have been playing for 3 years. Anyone trying to stop me?
    nathan.price
    look at some ibanez guitars. they have like a coil tap that turns the pickups to single coil with the pickup selector or something... yeah...
    Tirkaz
    got one recently and can say it's a very awesome guitar although you get first fret on low e buzz with new strings as mentioned, it can be easily fixed. sounds awesome on my randall 120w halfstack through a mt-2 and stock pickups 8/10
    bluediesel
    Jackson's site states that the body is Indian Cedro, but then in its own specifications it is listed as Alder. Anyone know which it is? What are the qualities of Indian Cedro as a tonewood?
    _guitar_hero_
    i just got it for christmas, i love it. it has a fast neck, and it looks kickass. its a tad bit heavy though. and for some reason when i put some new strings on it the first fret of the high e string buzzed. i raised the action a bit and its perfect. i also like the fact that its pretty easy to set it up how you want it.
    the_maestro
    I bought one. I haven't even thought of possibly regretting the decision. It's my main axe for a reason. Great playability, great sound, even better price. What colours did you guys get? I got black \m/. Though I kind of wish I would have gotten the blue.
    Kain_Doom01
    jthm_guitarist wrote: I hate the fact that it's only 3-way selstor for the pickups not a 5-way. Dude it only has 2 pickups. How could you have a 5 different combinations with 2 pickups?
    Well, in the guitar had A.D.D.....