JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Jackson: JS30DKT Dinky Hardtail

I play mostly metal with jazz, blues, Latin, rock and almost everything else on this guitar. However now that I have purchased other guitars this is used mostly for metal and sits in drop C. The pickups suit metal. Especially thrash. The bridge pickup has a lot of attack and really pushes the high frequencies well. Whereas the neck pickup can give a real warm tone but doesn't sound that good. The pickups suit high gain but you can get an okay sound with clean as well. 6/10 due to the lack of variety with the pickups. Its high gain with the bridge pickup on this guitar or nothing at all for me. Not much variety with pickups as they mostly only suit metal.

This guitar is a good fit for most styles of metal, especially thrash. The other electric guitars I own are a ESP Horizon and LTD 308 (8 string), but this guitar still remains my main guitar for drop tunings (as low as Drop B with decent results for the pickups). I would recommend this guitar to anyone starting out wanting to play metal. This guitar may have a few things wrong with it. But for the Price it is an excellent guitar and punches well above the other guitars in its price range one the setup is fixed! Thanks for reading, hope it helped. Feel free to ask questions or comment!

I would play this guitar live but would not trust it completely. The strap buttons constantly needed tightening on my guitar and also the lead input and the guitar goes out of tune with a lot of playing. Because of the reverse head stock on the guitar there is also a lot of pressure on the nut of the guitar which after about 2 years of playing broke. I now have a Gibson Les Paul nut on it witch works much better and gives more sustain. This finish on the guitar has not deteriorated in the years that I have had it so it seems fine. 7/10 due to the faults with the factory hardware on the guitar.

The factory set up on the guitar was terrible. The action was really high and the tone and volume knobs had not been put on properly. Luckily the bridge is very easy to adjust (provided you know what you are doing) so there was no problem there. The tone and volume knobs were seizing up and kept coming off but this just required some work with a screw driver. No problems with the finish on the guitar except that it is very easy to chip, as my mum found out with the vacuum cleaner. 6/10 as the set up was bad but not too hard to fix.

I brought this guitar about 3 years ago (2009) as my first electric guitar and have had it ever since then. It is a Jackson JZ30DKT. Not sure of the year it was made but I presume it was only up to a year before I brought it. Crafted in India. Serial number 2008004117 (if that helps at all). 24 Jumbo frets. Bolt on maple neck with rosewood fret-board 25.5" scale. Jackson Brand tuners. JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body. Jackson Humbucker pickups Neck and Bridge (passive). 3 position pickup switch. 1 tone 1 volume knob. This was my first ever electric guitar and I found it very easy to play, after ever only having played acoustics before. The neck has a very thin radius which makes it very easy to play and they cutaway is very use full for being able to reach the higher frets. For having only Jackson brand non locking tuners on it they hold the tuning of the guitar very well. I really like the bridge on this guitar as it is very simple to remove and adjust. For such a cheap guitar the specs are very good.

MaggaraMarine
    jthm_guitarist wrote: I hate the fact that it's only 3-way selstor for the pickups not a 5-way. Dude it only has 2 pickups. How could you have a 5 different combinations with 2 pickups?
    Haven't played Ibanezes? They usually have 5 way switches. The two more positions are for coil tap and stuff.
    caiden guitar
    im just looking at them now, i really like them im in high school, so not alot of cash, upgrading to something abit more rock and metal... go for it?