JS30KV King V review by Jackson

Jackson: JS30KV King V

Purchased from: Planet of Sound

I play mainly metal, but I like to stray into blues, acoustic etc. Played through my Marshall MG100 DFX and Dunlop Crybaby Wah. In Standard tuning and with light strings (0.09-0.42, out of the box) I found that the distorted tone was weak, lacking in bass and general power, even with the gain and bass maxed out. The clean tone was nice, with a warm tone at the neck pickup and a crisp, soft sound in the middle position. After changing the the strings and dropping the tuning (0.11-0.56, CGCFAD) the distorted tone really improved. Powerchord riffing in the bridge postion produces a huge bass punch and fret-melting soloing really cuts through. Sustains very nicely, due to the string-thru body construction. On high distortion, the neck pickup or the middle setting does go very muddy though.

At this price, it's very hard to complain about anything. It's a great guitar for beginners, but professionals won't shy away from it either. Upgrading it is always a possibility. I play Jacksons exclusively, because they have killer looks, playability, reliability and that awesome metal tone. I would, however, recommend buying the next model up (KVX10). At about 80 more you get far superior hardware. Again, for an entry-level price tag, this is as good as they get though. If it were stolen, I would probably buy a DKMG (no point buying an inferior guitar if I can afford a better one) but if I didn't already own an RR3, I would definitely buy it again.

I've had this guitar for about 2 years now and over that time it's taken a fair few knocks, but with only a couple of dents and chips to show for it. Granted, if you knock a guitar as pointy as this, of course the finish is going to chip. The hardware's still in good condition, but I'm going to replace the pickups and tuners soon (personal preferance). The strap buttons are solid, getting the strap on is a right struggle and getting it off is even harder. Gigging, I would never play without a backup (again, personal preferance)but it's a reliable guitar, only ever had 2 or 3 string breakages. Replacing strings and retuning can be done in about 20-30 seconds per string if you're not fussy about neatness. The aforementioned 'sticky tuners' really keep it in tune though.

Out of the box, using the stock strings, it was perfectly set up. The action was low and smooth, without fret buzz. The pickups neded raising to get the maximum punch out of them though, but that's a 10-second job. The machineheads are fairly poor quality, they're sticky and stiff when using thicker strings. The volume and tone pots are also quite stiff, and don't 'glide' like many other sets. Again, at this price I can't moan much though. One thing I can complain about is the placement of the input jack. I found that during seated practise, my lead really dug into my thigh.

Made in 2005 in India, 24 jumbo frets. Specs as above I believe, black gloss finish with chrome hardware. String-thru body bridge, 2X Jackson stock humbuckers. Master tone and master volume and a 3-way toggle Switch. Stock Jackson machineheads and no accessories included in the price. For the price I suppose I can't really complain, but a gig bag would have been great, even a cheap one.

Korzack
    So, generally these things are pretty damn solid then? Cool - Happy early christmas to me, specially consdierng I can spread the cost over 10 months... Nice.
    ilovebamboo
    I was initially interested in purchasing the cheap series of the BC rich warlock. Now I'm interested in getting a Jackson, King V, Rhoads or Kelly. But im low on cash so my mums got to buy it. can anyone recomend the cheapest possible jackson i can get my hands onto that has the sick shape?
    shredder_666
    This is GREAT axe, my only complaint with it is it needs different pickups, in my opinion anyway. I threw a dimebucker in mine and it straightened out the problem in half a second
    Zertuche
    Im thinking of buying a KVX10 with a Floyd but its either that or a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR.
    GozitanThrasher
    The only trouble this guitar is giving me is the volume knob(when turning it up sometimes the sound is cut) and the input jack(its coming loose on its own after playing)
    sydstab
    i also agree with Shred-Masta on how to play sitting. I just position it with my right leg where the v seperates. I also tend to wrap the calf of my right leg around the bottom part of the v so it doesnt slip backwards or forwards. Once again, a great, affordable guitar
    sydstab
    i just got this guitar about a month ago, and so far i have no complaints. If i had a small problem it would be that whenever sitting and playing the input comes loose every now and then. Other than that its the best guitar ive ever owned, and its well worth the price.
    Shred-Masta
    SkAsupafly wrote: Hanger 17 wrote: wide neck...awesome. I need a temporary shred guitar for cheap before i get an expensive one down the track. The only thing im worried about is the sitting down issue, is it possible to sit down and play or should i go for a different axe? If so which one do ya reckon well if ur gonna sit down and play u can get the same thing as this but w/ a different body. they make it in flying v, kelly, rhoads, and Dinky. so u probably should buy a kelly or dinky. I assume you like megadeth. Marty Friedman played a kelly. it looks almost like an explorer body. Anyways this guy don't know what he's talking about. Duncan Pickups??? Sharkfin Inlays??? its not Quilted its solid black!!!
    nah its perfectly fine for sitting down, you just gotta position urself correctly i find... pretty much jam the middle of the V into ur crotch/thigh and turn your right leg a bit inwards. only problem is that you gotta sit near the edge of the chair, else it wont fit.
    Shred-Masta
    I have a metallic red one with custom scallop frets. I bought it off of a friend of mine, hes gonna be ****ing famous as SHIT in a couple years. DEFINITELY remember the name "Joey Bennett". at 17 years old he's better than most guitarists who've played for YEEEARS longer than him. ANYWAYS... it's my first guitar and i must say, learning to play on this beauty is ****ing SICK. I play almost exclusively Death Metal, mainly because i just started and it seems easier to go with what i already know. definitely the most fun song to play is Babylon's Pride by Decapitated. ****in amazing song/band.
    rurouni_aoshi
    I like this guitar very much. I own and I just love nearly everything about it. I very simple tho' keep that in mind. I like nearly every guitar I pick up xD The reason I bought this guitar is because I sat down with it for the first time and just couldn't stop playing until my dad said I had to leave. At THAT moment I decided to get it
    Quantonyne
    this guitar is pretty sweet. i have had mine for about 6 months and it has held up pretty good, just a few dings and scratches on the V parts. I am about to EMG's in it so i imagine that i will cream my pants when that happens.
    Hanger 17
    Yeah i knew all that..thanks anyways man, if i didnt you woulda helped heaps. Some money came through and i ended getting an ESP DV8-R
    SkAsupafly
    Hanger 17
    Demonikk
    Spiroth, to be fair your USA Godin is in an entirely different league compared to this Indian-made axe ^_^ But yeah, it's great value for money and the wide neck's pretty good for lead playing
    spiroth10
    I traded some old video games for one, and it rocks. It doesn't match the quality of my American/Canadian made Godin freeway classic, but it provides excellent tone that the former cannot deliver in certain situations. The standard pickups for the guitar work fine for my style (rock, blues, and some metal) but if your into heavier, darker, higher output modern metal, you might want to replace them. I like them though. excellent sustain, stays in tune, the neck is nice once you get used to it (much wider than my other electric, almost as wide as an acoustic neck, I measured and compared). one thing though, it is a bi*** to get the strings on sometimes. The string-through body is a pain to deal with (at least on mine) and the strings get caught in the holes somehow. I almost would rather have a floyd rose on it ironically, but that would be an extra expense, as I don't use whammy effects.
    Demonikk
    Most guitar shops stock them. If not, you should be able to order one through them or over the internet. They're great gig bags, they come with thick rubber pads to slip over the end of the spikes.
    tom everett
    Demonikk wrote: Try Kinsman gig bag, they make ones that fit KVs and RRs for about 30
    thanks very much. where can u find these gig bags?
    Demonikk
    tom everett wrote: i've got this guitar and its awesome but i need help for finding a decent soft case can anyone help me?
    Try Kinsman gig bag, they make ones that fit KVs and RRs for about 30