JS30RR review by Jackson

Jackson: JS30RR

Purchased from: Thomann

Just by looking at this guitar you'll know it was made for metal, hard rock and stuff like that, and that's excactly what I use it for, and it really does get the job well done. I play it thru a Zoom Fire 30, which is a decent practice amp and a Boss Metal Zone which gives me all the distortion I want. I can get any sounds from blues to '70s heavy metal (Black Sabbath) to modern death metal. Now one thing I don't get is why people keep complaining about the picups. I understand they're not top quality, and they give some noise with bad amp/pedal settings, but overall I think they're really good. They give they sound I want to have, and personally I like them more than the EMGs on my brothers Les Paul.

I play all kinds of metal, hard rock and blues, and it's perfect for all of those. Sometimes when playing bands like Children of Bodom I hope it had a whammy bar for some serious squeling efects, but then again I'm not used to using the whammy bar, so it doesn't matter. I ordered this from thomann, wich means I couldn't try it out before buying, nut of course I would have tried it if could. The only flaw I would've found would ne the palce of the input jack. It's on the lover "wing" of the body, and when you're playing sitting, you have to hold the guitar in a position, that makes the head of the input cord sting on your leg, a better place to the jack would have been on the side of the longer "wing," like in RR5, however, I've gotten used to the place and I can hold the guitar so that it doesn't bother me. If this baby would be stolen or lost, I don't know if I would buy another one, not because it wouldn't be a good guitar, but because I'm always wanting to have new gear. If it was lost I'd probably get a Jackson WRXT Warrior (which I've been thinking of getting anyways) or a Ibanez SA520EX (Hope I remembered the model correct). However overall, It's a great guitar, if it were stolen or lost, I'd be very sad, 'cause it's become very important and personal to me. No guitar has felt as good as this since I first played this, I've gotten so used to this one.

I've not played this baby live, but I don't think it would let me down, since as I told before, there's still no flaws and I've had it in use for 6 months now. The strap buttons either haven't let me down, the seem like good ones, even though before a Gig I would be a fool not to buy strap locks just in case, but I would do it with any guitar. Also, I wouldn't use it on a gig without a backup, but not beause I dont trust it or it isn't dependaple, but because I wouldn't take any guitar on a gig without a backup, it would be stupid, since you never know what will happen. The paintjob is top notch also, it hasn't worn off yet at all, and the edges of the body haven't chipped the slightest even though they've taken a bit damage on the way.

Now, I'm not going to take any points away if the factory setup wasn't perfect, since it's personal how you like you settings. The intonation wasn't good though, but it wasn't a tough job to set it well. As for other settings, I lowered the strings a bit and raised the pickups, and it's perfect now. There were no flaws on the guitar and there still are none. The only thing is that it's shiny black paintjob collects fingerprints, but that is not a problem if you can handle the guitar, and they can be wiped off.

Not sure of the manufacturing year, but it was made in India. However, this guitar is a proof of the fact that guitars crafted otherwhere than USA or Japan can be good too. It's got an alder body, bolt-on maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard with 24 frets. 2 Jackson humbuckers, 1 volume & 1 tone. String-thru body Tune-O-Matic bridge, and, of course, a killer coolest-thing-in-the-whole-damn-universe - Randy Rhoads body, that will mesmerize you. A nice, simple and basic setup we got here, just perfect if you think you can manage without a folyd rose. For me, it's just great, since I don't have an urge for double locking tremolos, and it's really easy to change settings the way you want 'em to be. I Only wish it had 2 volumes, so I could do the trick to turn the other volume down and toggle rapidly between pickups to make a cool efect.