JS30RR review by Jackson

Jackson: JS30RR

I run all of my guitars through a Line 6, Spider III 75W amp. As a background, I own a Fender Strat, B.C. Rich SOB Avenger, and an Ibanez Roadstar II, and I've played on a Gibson Les Paul. Of all the guitars I own, this guitar, with stock pickups, seems the most musically balanced strait from the factory, and although not a replacement for blues, can easily compete with my other guitars. I can grind out KSE, Metallica or Testament, or I can play SRV or Christian music. There are a lot of mixed reviews about the pickups but, if one is looking to be an active musician, then no matter which guitar you select you will probably change the pickups to something better like EMGs or Duncans. I will probably change the Neck pickup, but I am surprised that the Bridge pickup is so clean. I actually played a higher end Jackson and the pickups on it sounded muddy, but this one didn't. The neck pick is also clean but it just doesn't have the tone that I am looking for.

My overall impression is that for $300 bucks, this guitar is worth it. As I mentioned earlier, I mainly play Metal, SRV, and Christian, and I can play all of these with this guitar. I have been playing off and on for about 14 years, and this is probably the best and last guitar that I will ever buy. The other feature that I like, other than simplicity, is that you can upgrade the pickups for a high end sound (minus the tremolo), and it will still only be around $500. If you want the tremolo, then maybe the RR3 would be a better fit, but otherwise this guitar is great. If it went missing, I would miss it and definitely replace it.

I haven't had for very long, but durability seems solid. I would invest in a hard case for it though since it won't sit in a regular stand without the longer wing resting on the floor. Although one shouldn't gig without a backup, this guitar is my choice for jamming or gigging, and I would feel confident in it being my only guitar on a gig.

As far as factory setup? I bought it at Guitar Center, and tried it out before hooking up the amp. The one item I found was I had to adjust the action on the Low E end so that the E, A, and D strings wouldn't vibrate against the frets. This was very easy to do, so not a big deal. The Action (after adjustment) is smooth and to my liking. One thing that I was worried about was how top heavy the neck would be; to my delight the guitar is well balanced and the neck does not drop to the floor.

The reason that I chose this guitar was the body: Flying V style. I preferred the shorter fin on the bottom, so I went with the JS30RR. As far as features: 24 Jumbo frets, 3 position selector, no tremolo, 2 Jackson CVR2 Pickups, tone knob as well as volume knob. One of the aspects of a guitar that I like is simplicity, and this guitar has all of the simple, strait up features so that I can throw on new strings and go.

poopiebear
    this guitar is ****in awesome, my friend just got one and he barely let me play but it sounds rediculously insane...(i only have a jackson warrior