JS32 King V review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Jackson: JS32 King V

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

The stock Jackson humbuckers are okay compared to some shitty Epiphone humbuckers on Les Paul Special but nothing special. With the right amp and pedals you can get a decent metal tone but nothing amazing. I play this through a Bugera 1960 driving a Randall cab with a DigiTech Digidelay, Boss CH-1, Carl's Custom guitars volume box, and a Behringer Noise Gate pedal (yeah I know it sucks but it does a decent job at what it needs to do) in the FX loop, in front of the amp I have a Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Wah and a EH Metal Muff w/top boost. With all that crap I can make this thing sound kinda good, with the Muff I can get a Brutal tone, without the metal muff I get a nice crunch but again nothing great. The cleans on the neck pickup are okay, they just sound dull and lifeless, not horrible but not good either. This guitar was designed for that kid that has a real interest in playing guitar and wants to shred, but after a while they'll see this guitars limits and want to upgrade.

I own two other Jackson beside this one a Jackson RR24M and a Jackson RR3, I also own a Ibanez XPT700FX I've also played many other guitars in my 5 years of playing so I do have an idea of what a good guitar is and what I think feels best to me. This is a Jackson and sadly this is not a good example of how amazing they are. This guitar can play pretty much any style out there but it can't play any of them well. For the cost of this guitar you can get a used RR3 (mine was only 300 with a case) which is a much example of how amazing Jackson is. I bought this guitar so that my good guitars would be saved for gigs and band practice, and I didn't expect much since it's a entry level model but being a Jackson I expected a bit higher quality. Overall okay if your upgrading from a Squier or Epiphone package and if for some reason you don't want buy a much better used guitar for the same price, in reality this guitar ain't nothin' special.

I suppose this guitar could survive show as long you don't use the floyd. My f--king god, the floyd is terrible, one piece of advice to anyone thinking about getting a floyded guitar, do NOT get a cheap one it will never hold tune. No matter how hard I tried this piece of shiny shit will not hold tune, I set it up and it could not hold tuning if divebombed, I had it set up by several different guitar techs and it still would not hold tune, eventually I just blocked the floyd. This kind of Floyd is why good Floyd's get a bad rep. So I would never even think about gigging without a backup with this thing. On the up side it has huge strap buttons so your strap ain't gonna' fall off, also the hardware has held up over 2 years so at least it has some redeeming qualities.

I purchased this new and the set-up was alright, the action was a little to high for my preference and when I lowered it I got fret buzz, and a few dead fret, not good at all, the pickups were also not to my preference but I will not not dock points off that because everyone has a preference. The finish on the upside though is great, I've owned this guitar for 2 years and she's held up fine, I've dropped it, hit the corners on my wall and a shit tone of other stuff and the finish has held up great, it does have a few chips but I'm sure everyone understands that this is a cheap guitar and that no guitars finish is invincible and for being cheap and taking all the abuse it has and still look great, that's pretty damn good.

2010, made in India, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, bolt-on maple neck. V body style, Indian Cedro body, 2 passive Jackson humbuckers (their covered though so they look actives but they are NOT active), Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way pickup selector switch, Jackson die cast tuners. Nice features for a good starter guitar that would be a great upgrade from a kids shitty Squier Strat or their Epiphone Les Paul Special. Although it has nice features none of them are really high quality so 6 it gets.

nailsarecruel
    Might be just me, but reviewers that trash "shitty" starter equipment - especially what they personally began playing with come across as huge douchebags.
    takachan
    To be honest I'm confused and tired of Jackson producing those JS models. Just 2 years ago they had great kellys and dinkys which were made out of good quality wood. You see the JS models are the same as the starter model jacksons but with an added floyd rose. Pickups and wood are the same. I feel offended