JS32 King V Review

manufacturer: Jackson date: 08/22/2016 category: Electric Guitars
Jackson: JS32 King V
My music style is 70's, 80's and 90's Rock and Metal. This guitar fits perfectly with that style and time of music. The guitar is beautiful. I have not found any defects yet.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Features: 7.8
 7.4
 7.8
 10,044
reviews (4) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
JS32 King V Reviewed by: supernaturalman, on march 09, 2012

Purchased from: Beatstreet Music

Features: What year was it made - 2011 Where was is made - Indonesia How many frets - 24 Neck/Scale - Thin/25.5 Finish - Inferno Red Body style - King V Bridge style - Floyd Rose Which controls are given - Volume, Tone, 3-way Pickup configuration - Jackson Humbuckers Tuners - Jackson Any included accessories - gig bag. // 9

Sound: How does it suit your music style (and what is that style) - My music style is 70's, 80's and 90's Rock and Metal. This guitar fits perfectly with that style and time of music. What amps - I am currently using a small practice amp, but I am on the look out for a reasonable half stack. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: How well was the guitar set-up at the factory - It was nowhere close to being setup out of the box. I still have some fret buzzz on the 5th fret to work out. The Floyd Rose is a pain to first set up. Did the guitar contain any flaws - It was still in the original bubble wrap when I got it. The Inferno Red is beautiful. I have not found any defects yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Does the hardware seem like it will last - The hardware seems solid so far and the tools that came with the guitar to adjust the Floyd Rose also seem to be good quality. Are the strap buttons solid - The strap stays on with no problems. Is the finish good enough to last - I love the finish on the guitar and hope it lasts. // 9

Overall Impression: What style of music do you play - 70's, 80's and 90's Rock and Metal. What other gear do you own - Black Les Paul Standard, Black SG G400, Stained Wood Brown Ibanez SA160. If it were stolen / lost, would you buy it again - Yes, I would buy another one. Did you compare it to other products - I looked at other V styles (Dean, Gibson/Epiphone, etc.) // 9

JS32 King V Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 23, 2012

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Features: 2010, made in India, 24 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, bolt-on maple neck. V body style, Indian Cedro body, 2 passive Jackson humbuckers (their covered though so they look actives but they are NOT active), Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose. 1 volume, 1 tone, 3 way pickup selector switch, Jackson die cast tuners. Nice features for a good starter guitar that would be a great upgrade from a kids shitty Squier Strat or their Epiphone Les Paul Special. Although it has nice features none of them are really high quality so 6 it gets. // 6

Sound: The stock Jackson humbuckers are okay compared to some shitty Epiphone humbuckers on Les Paul Special but nothing special. With the right amp and pedals you can get a decent metal tone but nothing amazing. I play this through a Bugera 1960 driving a Randall cab with a DigiTech Digidelay, Boss CH-1, Carl's Custom guitars volume box, and a Behringer Noise Gate pedal (yeah I know it sucks but it does a decent job at what it needs to do) in the FX loop, in front of the amp I have a Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Wah and a EH Metal Muff w/top boost. With all that crap I can make this thing sound kinda good, with the Muff I can get a Brutal tone, without the metal muff I get a nice crunch but again nothing great. The cleans on the neck pickup are okay, they just sound dull and lifeless, not horrible but not good either. This guitar was designed for that kid that has a real interest in playing guitar and wants to shred, but after a while they'll see this guitars limits and want to upgrade. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I purchased this new and the set-up was alright, the action was a little to high for my preference and when I lowered it I got fret buzz, and a few dead fret, not good at all, the pickups were also not to my preference but I will not not dock points off that because everyone has a preference. The finish on the upside though is great, I've owned this guitar for 2 years and she's held up fine, I've dropped it, hit the corners on my wall and a shit tone of other stuff and the finish has held up great, it does have a few chips but I'm sure everyone understands that this is a cheap guitar and that no guitars finish is invincible and for being cheap and taking all the abuse it has and still look great, that's pretty damn good. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I suppose this guitar could survive show as long you don't use the floyd. My f--king god, the floyd is terrible, one piece of advice to anyone thinking about getting a floyded guitar, do NOT get a cheap one it will never hold tune. No matter how hard I tried this piece of shiny shit will not hold tune, I set it up and it could not hold tuning if divebombed, I had it set up by several different guitar techs and it still would not hold tune, eventually I just blocked the floyd. This kind of Floyd is why good Floyd's get a bad rep. So I would never even think about gigging without a backup with this thing. On the up side it has huge strap buttons so your strap ain't gonna' fall off, also the hardware has held up over 2 years so at least it has some redeeming qualities. // 3

Overall Impression: I own two other Jackson beside this one a Jackson RR24M and a Jackson RR3, I also own a Ibanez XPT700FX I've also played many other guitars in my 5 years of playing so I do have an idea of what a good guitar is and what I think feels best to me. This is a Jackson and sadly this is not a good example of how amazing they are. This guitar can play pretty much any style out there but it can't play any of them well. For the cost of this guitar you can get a used RR3 (mine was only 300 with a case) which is a much example of how amazing Jackson is. I bought this guitar so that my good guitars would be saved for gigs and band practice, and I didn't expect much since it's a entry level model but being a Jackson I expected a bit higher quality. Overall okay if your upgrading from a Squier or Epiphone package and if for some reason you don't want buy a much better used guitar for the same price, in reality this guitar ain't nothin' special. // 6

JS32 King V Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2012

Features: - Cedro body - 24-fret compound-radius rosewood fingerboard with Jackson's classic sharkfin inlay - Bolt-on maple neck - Jackson CVR high-output humbucking pickups - Adjustable string-through-body bridge - Chrome hardware // 8

Sound: Very pleasant. Guitar light enough (compared to a crawl). Access to fret impeccable. Fairly unbalanced. I play on a Marshall Valvestate with a DigiTech pedal. The sound is very good I play a little. This guitar is great for the price, it was worth every penny, when it got here and finally got to plug it in and play it, it was amazing, even with the trem off by just a little bit, the pickups are actually pretty decent with great output, despite what people say about the lic trems I have yet to tune my guitar after tuning and locking the trem and intonating, of course when I got it I was playing it for 10 hours a day for a few days and looking it over inch for inch, and I can say they did a great job with this guitar for the price, I own about 4 other guitars and stacked against my higher end Stratocaster it sits pretty level with it, so if you like King V's and were iffy on buying this, get it, it is a great investment, also the Gun Metal Gray is lighter than in the pictures. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The compound radius neck makes the neck really fast for shredding but still comfortable for holding chords. The sharkfin inlays really set the guitar off. The stock pickups actually sound decent in this guitar but I would upgrade to a set of Seymour Duncan's. The only downfall depends on your taste. The Floyd Rose tremolo isn't liked by alot of musicians but usually because they don't know how to properly tune and set it up. The biggest tip is to adjust the springs and adjust the bridge so its level with the body. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Personally like a floyd rose and they stay in tune well but, if you don't I recommend a guitar with a string thru body bridge. This guitar isn't very easy to sit down with but you should play standing anyways. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for the price, it was worth every penny, when it got here and finally got to plug it in and play it, it was amazing, even with the trem off by just a little bit, the pickups are actually pretty decent with great output, despite what people say about the lic trems I have yet to tune my guitar after tuning and locking the trem and intonating, of course when I got it I was playing it for 10 hours a day for a few days and looking it over inch for inch, and I can say they did a great job with this guitar for the price, I own about 4 other guitars and stacked against my higher end Stratocaster it sits pretty level with it, so if you like King V's and were iffy on buying this, get it, it is a great investment, also the Gun Metal Gray is lighter than in the pictures. // 10

JS32 King V Reviewed by: adexder, on august 22, 2016

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features:

• Year - 2015 (Most likely, as it is not obvious)
  • Made in China
  • 24 fret
  • Floyd Rose bridge
  • Passive Jackson pickups
  • Comes with a tone control, volume control, and a 3-way switch
  • Ordered with a gig bag
Controls are decent, not that they matter much to me because I don't really care much about them. Floyd Rose is annoying sometimes but it's fairly decent quality, comes with 3 springs and it's fairly sensitive but I guess that's just how they are. The stock strings aren't stretched out either but that's just a minor inconvenience. The knobs on this guitar are the metal domed ones that don't have the screw in the side. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits the style of music that I play fairly well. The pickups are obviously not the most high quality but the JS32 line is meant to be affordable so that didn't come as a surprise to me. They're good enough to play some thrash metal, maybe classical metal, but I later replaced them with L500XLs as I got into heavier stuff and once you go past drop D on this thing, it doesn't sound its best (unless you upgrade it). I'm using this guitar with digital effects running through my computer, and I was able to get a lot of good playing out of it (Playing music such as Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, etc.) but after a few months I had decided that the pickups aren't enough for me because the cleans feel a bit too bright.

To summarize what I have said, this guitar is good if you'd like to play Metal or if you would like to upgrade it to be more versatile as I have. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was surprisingly well set up at the factory, but I wasn't quite happy with the Floyd Rose as the B string kept coming loose when I would dive bomb. This was quickly corrected as I let the strings stretch out and I readjusted the tension of the bridge and the locking nuts at the top of my neck. I was also unhappy with my pickup rings. They had been overtightened at the factory leading to cracks forming around the screws. This was a quick fix when I talked to Jackson about it as they sent me replacements for free and everything was fine after that.

As for the neck and paint quality, I found the paint job to be at 90% of what it could be. The neck has small and virtually un-noticeable marks where the metal bits go in for the frets on its side, but the paint on the body is fairly well done. The cavities have fairly rough paint inside (Tremolo and control cavities are not sanded), but I guess that's fine because I'm not a perfectionist. Otherwise, the finishes and fits are very good for such a guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is actually surprisingly reliable. I've been playing it for about half a year now, at least an hour every day on average, and it has not broken at all, or even had the settings come off on travel on bus and in the back of a car. This guitar feels like it would last, regardless of it being cheap, because the build is fairly sturdy. I also really like the finish, because it can take a beating. I've hit the corners of the V shape on the wall and on my table and so far I don't see any scratches or dents. The only real problem I noticed was that when I used a certain kind of pick it scratched the area under the strings, but that's expected of any guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal anywhere from AC/DC to Slipknot and this guitar is a perfect match for that. I transitioned from being a beginner guitarist to being good with this guitar and I absolutely love it. I don't own any other gear but I have owned an Epiphone and I'd say Jackson's affordable guitars are better, but that's just my opinion. I wish I had asked about the Floyd Rose bridge though before I bought it, because it's a pain in the butt. But I still use it. If I lost this guitar I would 1) Cry in bed for a day and 2) Go straight back to the store and buy myself a similar one.

A lot of people wonder about the shape of it. It's actually very comfortable to wedge the wing into your leg and play standing up because it stays there and is very stable. I bought this guitar for the look and I've found out since then it does way more than that. This guitar is very good for the price in my opinion, and I would recommend it to anyone who's considering buying this! // 8

Comments