JS32T Kelly review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Jackson: JS32T Kelly

Purchased from: Guitar Center LA

Mostly I play punk and metal. The sound is really heavy and dark what I think is best for these deep menancholic songs like some of In Flames but I don't get a clear aggressive sound from it like Godsmack or Disturbed likely uses it, there's always some lazyness in the sound. That might be couse ba the fact, that I use thicker strings since I alays tuned thi guitar in Drop C. I am using an Ibanez TBX15R (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/ibanez/tbx15r/index.html) with heavy distortion. It also produces great pinch-harmonics but also these sound deep and heavy but great to me. The effect that the tone and pickup-switches make to the sound is extreme so there are lots of variaties.

As said I play metal and punk and for metal its a great guitar. I've been playing for 2, 5 years now and piano for 9 years so my fingers were already trained when I started. Along this I own a Vintage Stratocaster and my Ibanez amp but I think about buying an affect panel. If this guitar was stolen I would definitly buy another one. Its a good guitar but it is less than I expected from it. I really love the pinch-harmonics, I love them. But I hate that the Bridge is very high and therfore the strings are a bit too far from the fretboar so I have to press them down deep on the high frets what's a big disadventag when playing solos. I compared it to my Vintage Stratocaster and on some other Jackson guitars along the store and chose this one because I didn't have that much money and the price-quality relationship is good in my sight. So finally I am really satisfied with this guitar but I expected more from it but though I don't feel I bought something wrong.

This guitar will definitly withstand a live playing. But I am pretty sure that one would have to add a break to the gig or some story-telling from the singer to tune the guitar - at home, weather I play on it or not - it stays in tune for at most 2 hours and then at least one string is hearable out of tune. But the fact that I am using thick strings, as said before, allows me to perform bandings that I only hold the guitar with the banding finger and nothing else. So theoretically I would use it without backup but practially: Who knows what happens? Strings as wood get used by time so some shit can always happen. Therefore I would not go an any gig without a backup. All the controls are solid and hold a lot. The finish is a bith thin. I don't think that it would wear off by playing but I bought some crappy wall-mounts for it and one fine day it broke and the guitar fell just about 20cm down on my e-piano below and it took off a small part of the finish at the lower corner. At this part, as far as I can see, the finish is only about 1, 5mm thick.

When I bought the guitar it was set up correct and tunes. But one day later, I don't know what happened, the G string hit the 3rd fret so that it was only possible to use the G string on the 3rd fret or higher - deep shit. So I went back to the store and the fixed it. Untill today everything is fine with it.

- Year manufractured: I bought it in winter 2010 so I think it was made somewhen in 2010 - Frets: 24 jumbo frets - solid top - Wood: Maple body and mahagony neck - Finish: black even finish - Body Style: similar to the Gibson Explorer - Bridge: Tune-O-Matic - Volume, Tone and 3-way pickup controls - 2 Jackson double-pickups - Guitar Center gave me a Gigbag with the guitar Im not that experienced with guitars but looking at the average of guitars I saw in different sotores, this is quiet good.

Insomnia69
    I'd write a review on this but I'd be just too damn lazy to find the exact specs, so I'll just write a mini review kind of thing here. So I've had this beautiful guitar for about 6 months now and it hasn't failed me even once, it's a perfect semi budget guitar, and the second guitar I've ever purchased to, besides... you guessed it, a shitty knockoff squier.