JS32T Kelly review by Jackson

Jackson: JS32T Kelly

Price paid: € 270

Purchased from: mhm music

First of all, I play metal. All kinds of metal. I tune my guitar anywhere from e standard to drop A, my strings are Earnie Ball 10-52 for any tuning from e to drop C and Dunlop 10-60 for everything below. I use an Engl Ritchie Blackmore and a Line 6 Spider II 30 watts without any effects. The guitar isn't very loud unplugged and very bright, but with surprisingly good sustain. It sounds pretty good for metal, the neck pickup can produce a clear, smooth and sustaining lead sound, while the bridge pickup puts out a tight attack and a lot of bass while palm muting. No muddyness with deep tunings if fat strings are used. Clean it's not brilliant, but while using both pickups it's possible to get a bright and shiny sound that's good for picking chords or funky stuff. It isn't excessively noisy, average humm I'd say. Great sound considering the price.

For metal, it's a good guitar. I play since 5 years, and it doesn't slow me down or limit my playing. I own a B.C. Rich Warlock bronze too, and the Jackson is clearly the better guitar! The neck is just a dream, and it looks cool too without any annoying tremolo system. It it would be lost or stole, I probably wouldn't buy it again, I'd go for a Schecter Omen Extreme cause of better woods, but I'd sure miss it. For this price it's an excellent choice. I own it for 2 years now, and I don't regret buying it.

I gigged it few times, it did well. Hardware is sturdy, finish is pretty sturdy too. Strap buttons are solid, but badly placed, the guitar is a bit neck heavy. Fixed that with replacing them. I would never do a gig without backup cause if you break a string you're screwed.

The neck feels just awesome, I love the Jackson neck profile. Factory set up was good, I just don't get why they always have to put .09 strings on metal guitars. So I set it up myself and put on my favourite 10-52s. In terms of bridge, frets, neck and tuners there were no flaws at all, the only problem I have is the toggle switch. It recently started annoying me cause in 1 of 4 switches to the bridge pickup it doesn't switch properly. Will fix that with a new switch. Overall good, if that toggle wouldn't be so bad.

24 jumbo frets, Indian cedro body, 25.5 scale neck, thin and wide d profile, unfinished neck. Tune o matic bridge, 3 way switch, 2 Jackson CRV2 humbuckers, 1 volume, 1 tone. Basic features, but not much more needed for a metal guitar.

Sladey
    There needs to be consistency with the reviews. In my opinion, the rating should take the price of the guitar into account. So you can have a 10/10 low end guitar, but doesn't mean that it's better than an SG standard..
    givemeajackson
    i wouldnt put in new pups in mine, that ain't first class woods. wouldn't sound very good, cause good pickups show what the guitar's mad of.
    Tango616
    JS series are actually VERY good for the money, I've owned 2, and still own one. For the price you pay you get a hell of a guitar, it's rated so high because it's a damn good value.
    Draconis93
    I've got one of these, and it only cost me $200 brand new. Not the greatest guitar in the world, I'll admit, but a very nice looking, decent feeling, and nice sounding guitar for the price.
    SISO
    I got the boot wrote: Stupid question: Is the one in the picture a lefty?
    Nop