JS32T Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: JS32T Rhoads

Price paid: € 150

Purchased from: eBay

I play a variety of musical styles ranging from fusion and blues to metal and ambient, though I mostly like messing around with rock and Traditional heavy metal (nothing extreme though). Coming from a Cort KX Custom (my first guitar; still great) and an ESP Eclipse II (my second one) I found the sound to be disappointing at first; too thin and tinny, lacking important fundamentals that made even 4-string power chords sound as if they were coming from a radio speaker. Unfortunately, I cannot know the difference between those "Duncan Designed" pickups and the original ones the guitar had, but I doubt the situation would be improved. After replacing the .09 strings with .11 ones the sound improved a bit and by tuning it a whole step down it now classifies as acceptable. It still sounds a bit thin (thinner than both the Cort and the ESP, which have SD JB/59 and EMG 81/60 respectively) but the sound is usable and rather gratifying, plus I doubt I could tell the difference in the mix after processing has been applied. * I don't have my Marshall amp with me at home due to space constraints; I always use my DAW and studio monitors with VST plugins, unless I'm playing live. While you could argue that this cannot match the performance of a real amp, the comparisons with my other guitars are made using this same setup.

It's a cheap guitar which I wanted for a specific purpose. I don't think it will ever be my primary instrument, though for a beginner it's a much better choice than your typical Fender ripoff (but that's just my personal opinion). I've been playing for about 11 years, starting when I was 20. As for the gear, I mentioned already that I own a Cort KX Custom which was my first guitar and still is excellent and which I usually use for lead parts, and an Eclipse II which performs very well and that I mostly use in rhythm ones. The JS32T cannot and was not meant to compared with any of these however. I don't particularly like that the fit of my Planet Waves locking strap is quite problematic in this guitar, yet I refuse to use any other strap any more. Also, I'd have liked the guitar to have been heavier and the neck a bit wider, but that's just me and my big hands. I wouldn't buy one again if it were lost or stolen however and would probably seek a guitar with an even longer scale to facilitate a Standard D tuning with reasonable hardness on the strings (I like my strings stiff and even .11s are too soft when tuned to Standard D). Bottom line: If you want a beginner guitar, it's a good choice, despite the unusual shape. Even on an intermediate level this a good option if you're on a tight budget, but I couldn't recommend it for anything more serious.

Despite its lightness, the guitar seems to be able to withstand catastrophic damage (it has done so once already according to the seller), though I wouldn't trust any guitar to not have a backup. The whole build seems quite cheap when you first get your hands on it due to its weight, but after using it for a while I can say that it's probably going to last you for quite a few years with proper handling. The finish is thick (though generic) and apparently there were two coats of it (primer + top coat?). I am afraid I don't exactly know what materials used in it however, but it'd certainly need a lot of sandpaper to get the wood to appear.

The guitar needed intonation configuration and the pickups needed to be lowered (due to the magnetic interference on the strings), but the truss rod and the fret-job were pristine. I like my action as low as I can get it and on this one I managed to get 1mm on the high E and 1.5mm on the low E with almost non-existent fret buzzing. Due to such a low action and the thinness of the neck, I got a bit disoriented at first (being used to my other guitars) but it allows for fast shredding with minimal finger stretching. It's definitely something you get used to and I personally don't mind having to adapt to different instruments.

I needed a guitar to be permanently tuned to Standard D and didn't want to use one of my other guitars for that purpose. This came at a reasonable price and its owner had replaced the standard humbucker pickups with two Duncan Designed, one of them apparently related to Dave Mustaine (but I couldn't get any more details about that). I've heard horror stories about stock Ibanez and Jackson pickups, so this counted as a plus at the time. Apart from the pickups and a nasty break in the shorter (bottom) edge of the guitar (with the wood chipped as well) the guitar is a standard JS32T Rhoads. The Indian Cedar from which this is made is surprisingly light (perhaps TOO light) and with the bolt-on neck being too thin from what I'm used to, this feels like I'm holding a ukulele. I wish it had locking tuners; personally, I really dislike nonlocking ones, but they seem to hold a tuning acceptably well. Apart from that, it is cheap and it shows. If it weren't for the replaced pickups I would only award it a 6 out of 10. (The rating does not take into account the crack on the edge of the body).