JS32T Warrior review by Jackson

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 9
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 9.4 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.1 (52 votes)
Jackson: JS32T Warrior
1

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Sound — 9
This guitar sounds incredible. Although it is inexpensive, it is quite a guitar. I play mostly metal, everything ranging from metalcore like Bullet for My Valentine and As I Lay Dying to classic thrash like Metallica and even death metal. It suits all of those perfectly, in look AND sound. I find it really well suits Bullet and Metallica, two bands that use Jackson guitars. The neck pickup is a great pickup for clean tones, and it sounds almost exactly like Metallica's clean tone on my amp. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 and a DigiTech RP155 and they work together very well. I find it noisy when I'm playing with my band and I don't mute the strings and just kind of stand still, talking. Playing though, that wouldn't be a problem. This guitar also handles pinch harmonics excellently but you can't do any dive bombs because of it's string through body.

Overall Impression — 10
As I said, I'm a metal guitarist mainly. It's a perfect match for any metal guitarist out there, especially if you want a lower price (Use 9 gauge strings with it, they are perfect). I've been playing for a year and a half, but I get a lot of people that tell me I'm an "amazing" guitarist for that long. I own a Squier Bullet Strat, a BC Rich Kerry King Wartribe, a Yamaha FG700S, a Vantage that I bought off my friend that I know nothing about, a Line 6 Spider IV 15, a DigiTech RP155, and a lovely Planet Waves cable. Before I bought this I would've asked the people to give me a different input jack because I'm sick of those kind. If this were stolen of lost I would definitely buy another one because I can't live without this guitar. I love everything about it almost. I hate the input jack. My favorite feature would have to be the pickups though, because they sound amazing. I compared it to a couple of King V's and a Randy Rhoads, and I decided on this because of its comfortability and ability to play while sitting down. I almost wish this had a double-locking tremolo because I think it'd be awesome with one, but I don't need one because this is my tune-to-everything guitar! I do, however wish it had a different input jack.

Reliability & Durability — 10
This guitar can withstand live playing, yes. Its hardware is a little iffy though, because on one of the tuning pegs the chrome formed a bubble that I can't get rid of, that made me mad. Also, the input is pretty bad as it is the same as a Stratocaster's. It comes loose pretty easy, but you can avoid that by screwing it in reeeeeeally well. The strap buttons haven't once come loose on me, I trust them well. I can depend on this guitar, but I don't know if I would use it in a gig without a backup, mainly because I think of this as my tune-to-everything guitar, so I use it for dropped tunings when my BC Rich with a double-locking trem can be used as a Standard tuning guitar. This guitar could handle a gig without a backup though. The finish can last, but I've chipped bits of it because I keep whacking the body into things.

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
This guitar came in almost perfectly set up, except I had to adjust the Bridge a little because the high E was not working with the Bridge well. It came in perfectly tuned to Standard with the pickups adjusted very well. Everything was perfect when I got it.

Features — 8
Made in India, this guitar was made fresh when I ordered it from Fender, in May 2010. It features 24 jumbo frets with the Jackson trademark Shark fin inlays on a rosewood fingerboard. It's a solid-top basswood guitar that I bought in black with the trademark Warrior body style and Jackson headstock. The Bridge is a string-through body which gives it great sustain. The pickups are two active Jackson humbuckers, a Bridge pickup and a neck pickup. There is one volume control and one tone control. Non-locking tuners, not sure the brand. The guitar came with a couple hex wrenches, a gig bag, and an instruction manual.

55 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Noverion
    cgmetallica1981 wrote: People who mention they play Bullet For My Valentine should have their reviews scrapped. We don't need 12 year olds giving false, uninformed opinions.
    BFMV have some great lead parts, they don't have the complexity of megadeth, and they whine a bit but they're not awful. I cannot get over the crass elitism of some "metalhead's." I like BFMV, Trivium, 'deth, Metallica, Opeth, BTBAM, Chthonic, Maiden, but I'm sure you shoot me down for listening to Bullet wouldn't you - does the fact that I listen to them mean I have uniformed opinions? The fact that you so blindly hate that which you don't like means you yourself, ironically, hypocritically, have no understanding of what opinion is - people like you, we do not need in the human race.
    adj209
    MetalHeadMat wrote: adj209 wrote: HoddiDarko wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho. Hetfield was not one of the first to use a King V. Dave Mustaine was. IT was Mustaine who popularised it anyway. Ya, but James Hetfield had one BEFORE Dave. Also, Kirk has a bunch of Rhoads which serial numbers date back to the 80's.
    source it
    jlang261
    my first guitar was a blue xcort, and when i got my new Jackson JS32T Warrior it bends easier, its easier to play and its easier to shred on and all over more comfortable
    Goldenreaper15
    Dude i love the guitar. I'm in dire need of a new one since my Epiphone special model II is losing it and i don't have the money to buy pick ups. Plus i was thinking about buying a 500 dollar Dime Bag Dean Lightning Razor Back. But it's gonna take a shit load of saving.
    kvltpolice666
    IDK if I'm reading this right...but you bought this for $500 altogether? A guitar of this quality is not worth $500. Honestly, the best approach is going on craigslist and buying a used guitar that has been treated well. I've gotten some really nice guitars (mid-high quality) for a fraction of what you payed. As long as you know what to look for you can get some really great deals. example: a couple years ago I bought a Carvin Legacy half stack for $500 and it was pretty much brand new. the dude had to sell it because he was really in debt and needed money ASAP. so moral of the story: watch craigslist everyday, there are always deals on there
    GodzillaDeth
    if you associate metallica with jackson cause kirk uses a rhoads live? you gotta listen to some more music
    GodzillaDeth
    Noverion wrote: cgmetallica1981 wrote: People who mention they play Bullet For My Valentine should have their reviews scrapped. We don't need 12 year olds giving false, uninformed opinions. BFMV have some great lead parts, they don't have the complexity of megadeth, and they whine a bit but they're not awful. I cannot get over the crass elitism of some "metalhead's." I like BFMV, Trivium, 'deth, Metallica, Opeth, BTBAM, Chthonic, Maiden, but I'm sure you shoot me down for listening to Bullet wouldn't you - does the fact that I listen to them mean I have uniformed opinions? The fact that you so blindly hate that which you don't like means you yourself, ironically, hypocritically, have no understanding of what opinion is - people like you, we do not need in the human race.
    THIS
    BL4CKENED
    Surf_Nicaragua wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Kirk's been known to use a Jackson here and there
    Hes got a trans black Jackson Randy Rhodes
    Reaper/chaos
    ok question... why are you arguing about James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, and Kerry King on a review board? Just do that on the forum or sumthing! only a few people actually commented on the guitar! I honestly love the guitar! It sounds great, its got a great shape, and its a very comfortable guitar to play with! People sit there and say its ugly... well did you know that each guitarist has a certain way that they hold the guitar? Well do you know that there are like a hundred ways to hold this one? Thats a good thing! When i solo or play where most of the notes i hit are on the bottom of the neck i hold the guitar different! when i play taps i hold the guitar vertically! keep that in mind, look at the guitar once again from my point of veiw and then comment!!!
    Nicely said... i like a lot of bands like that
    Nirvanafan60
    only like 5 people have commented on the guitar stop arguing and actually comment on the guitar!!!
    Dan Oldham
    Well, guess what, all you trolls bashing this guy for his review will finally get an unbiased review. I just traded in a pos Ibanez EX180 which was made in the late 80s/early 90s (not sure when it was made...), which was left over my house YEARS ago by an ex-girlfriend. I'd like to thank her for the $95 that went towards my JS32 Warrior. Anyway, I have a custom Warmoth guitar, which is nothing short of awesome. I wasn't even considering ANY Jackson when I looked for a slight "upgrade" from the Ibanez. I've played two American models, and didn't like either one of them. Anyway, the neck is fairly beefy, and played pretty nicely, right out of the box. I played through some Ibanez amp, and the guitar had a great Metal tone to it. The "Jackson Floyd Rose" is a thin, cheap metal, and while it appears to have a little bit of float to it, it isn't enough to make any exciting sounds. While the guitar was very playable, the strings seemed to be pulled extremely stiff, but I downgraded to a .009 gauge after purchase. This cured the issue. I did have to adjust the tremolo claw, as the bridge was tipped forward in the cavity, which was a sign of a fairly poor factory setup. I spent about 2 hours adjusting the string action, swapping strings, and adjusting the bridge, and it plays very well. The tuning keys work okay, and the guitar stays in tune with hard use of the tremolo. While this guitar certainly isn't going to be mistaken for a $2500 guitar, it plays nicer than its $400 pricetag leads on. This guitar could probably work as a "first in lineup" guitar, but the tremolo has limitations. If you don't do divebombs, it will serve you well. If you like to play with a floating tremolo, this guitar ain't gonna do it for ya. The sustain is good, the feel of the neck is good, it's comfortable, etc. I don't have anything negative to say about this instrument. One thing's for sure, it holds its own, but play it back to back with a guitar costing $2000, and just as any in the $400 price range, it will become apparent this guitar is not on the same level. Would I buy this guitar again? Hell, I'd buy 3 of them.
    sheppo
    Noverion wrote: cgmetallica1981 wrote: People who mention they play Bullet For My Valentine should have their reviews scrapped. We don't need 12 year olds giving false, uninformed opinions. BFMV have some great lead parts, they don't have the complexity of megadeth, and they whine a bit but they're not awful. I cannot get over the crass elitism of some "metalhead's." I like BFMV, Trivium, 'deth, Metallica, Opeth, BTBAM, Chthonic, Maiden, but I'm sure you shoot me down for listening to Bullet wouldn't you - does the fact that I listen to them mean I have uniformed opinions? The fact that you so blindly hate that which you don't like means you yourself, ironically, hypocritically, have no understanding of what opinion is - people like you, we do not need in the human race.
    why do you think they were kicked of the Wacken bill cause no real metalhead wants that shit i would take a death metal band over them and i hate death metal (well most of it anyway). No way could a JS series Jackson have such a high rating, I have the flying V and i wouldnt put it past a 7-8 but i would definatly get better pick ups for it cause the ones in it are pretty average
    Sakke
    I use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 and a DigiTech RP155 and they work together very well.
    I stopped reading. I also use a line6 spider IV as a home amp (or well, as a speaker) and a ZOOM G2.1u as the pedal between line6 and my guitar. The sound is nearly horrible, I only use it to hear my mistakes better since electric guitars need some electricity. And that guitar isn't worth 9's or 10's.. 7's and 8's as a max. 7 could be the best option if you remember that giving an 8 means that the guitar really is good. Just that it is bang for the buck for the looks, I think the sound is quite the same as my previous Jackson JS30RR had... and that was not worth an 8.
    j-falafel
    my mistake, i dont exactly use those two together. I use them for separate things.
    guitardWARf
    sewoo55 wrote: anybody else feel that the body is a bit misaligned to the right?
    yaeh it looks like the neck should be more to te right of the body :s
    HoddiDarko
    Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP.
    Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho.
    bafonikolas
    This guitar is total shit,guaranteed.Too much money for an ugly piece of wood that looks and sounds terrible. Jackson needs to step up in quality...for real
    adj209
    HoddiDarko wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho.
    Hetfield was not one of the first to use a King V. Dave Mustaine was. IT was Mustaine who popularised it anyway.
    MetalHeadMat
    adj209 wrote: HoddiDarko wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho. Hetfield was not one of the first to use a King V. Dave Mustaine was. IT was Mustaine who popularised it anyway.
    Ya, but James Hetfield had one BEFORE Dave. Also, Kirk has a bunch of Rhoads which serial numbers date back to the 80's.
    Johnneeey
    MetalHeadMat wrote: adj209 wrote: HoddiDarko wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho. Hetfield was not one of the first to use a King V. Dave Mustaine was. IT was Mustaine who popularised it anyway. Ya, but James Hetfield had one BEFORE Dave. Also, Kirk has a bunch of Rhoads which serial numbers date back to the 80's.
    here we go again...
    DrCOOL
    I'm down with a lot of guitars. But this one is definitely the ugliest thing on either. i cant even believe they still make them or that people buy them.
    The^Unforgiven
    Anyways, I'd like to read an unbiased review written by someone who's exprienced in both guitars in general and in writing reviews, on any of Jackson's newer JS32 models. I think the Js32 Dinky looks cool and might be a fun guitar to have as a 3rd guitar. I used to have a Js30RR Which was horrible, so I'm just interested in whether these new ones are any better - probably not, though.
    CydoniaKnight95
    sewoo55 wrote: anybody else feel that the body is a bit misaligned to the right?
    Yeah but it looks pretty badass
    fretmaster5000
    adj209 wrote: HoddiDarko wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho. Hetfield was not one of the first to use a King V. Dave Mustaine was. IT was Mustaine who popularised it anyway.
    Duddes KERRY KINg popularized the king V *****s
    Charlie4
    The JS32 range is crap just like the low end bc rich's etc. (To be expected in this price range). I do think however that the Jackson USA Warrior probably plays like a beast.
    adj209
    fretmaster5000 wrote: adj209 wrote: HoddiDarko wrote: Freemanz wrote: Metallica use ESP. Hetfield was one of the first to use the Jackson King V, and Kirk has a custom shop RR that he used a lot. Not sure if he uses it anymore tho. Hetfield was not one of the first to use a King V. Dave Mustaine was. IT was Mustaine who popularised it anyway. Duddes KERRY KINg popularized the king V *****s
    ^La moda you made your point, i guess he did. Also no fretmaster, you're wrong on that account. King has never used a Jackson king V, not to my knowledge anyway.
    HoddiDarko
    I though people knew this, didn't expect that many answers :/ Hetfield's V was pretty badass tho, I have the Guitar Player issue where he has it on the cover. Neck-thru, emg's, Tom bridge, white painjob and "Kill Bon Jovi" on the headstock. Why do you think that Kerry King ever used King V's? He never even used Jackson... just B.C Rich and ESP.
    The^Unforgiven
    Darth_Pietrus wrote: Isnt this just an ibanez xiphos?
    Jackson made Warriors before Ibanez made Xiphoses IIRC, and in any case, the original "inspiration" for the Warrior came to Jackson from B.C Rich's Stealth model, which was used amongst other by Chuck Schuldiner (R.I.P) of Death.
    Reaper/chaos
    ok question... why are you arguing about James Hetfield, Dave Mustaine, and Kerry King on a review board? Just do that on the forum or sumthing! only a few people actually commented on the guitar! I honestly love the guitar! It sounds great, its got a great shape, and its a very comfortable guitar to play with! People sit there and say its ugly... well did you know that each guitarist has a certain way that they hold the guitar? Well do you know that there are like a hundred ways to hold this one? Thats a good thing! When i solo or play where most of the notes i hit are on the bottom of the neck i hold the guitar different! when i play taps i hold the guitar vertically! keep that in mind, look at the guitar once again from my point of veiw and then comment!!!
    Kevy Absolution
    laurens666 wrote: I lolled at this review, it fails on so many parts. After a wrong overview of the specs, the desciption is hilarious. When he ends with playing for a year and half and being an amazing gitarist, I couldn't stop laughing. I really hope someone on this site takes time to write an unbiased review and not this crap.
    Read some of my reviews someday. Even if it's not gear you're interested, you'l like them.
    Good_Lord
    Jackson are owned by Fender.
    That made me shiver ... Luckily most Jackson's guitars look better than any Fender.
    snow_pants69
    I have a JS30WR Warrior, I got it about 3 years ago. It plays great, better than some higher priced models. Mine, however, does not have the Sharkfin Inlays, which I wish it did. But yeah for the price, these JS series guitars are pretty amazing.
    LeonidasVath
    It's cedro, not basswood. The pick up's are passive, not active. They're just high output. Please refrain from writing reviews if you don't know what you're talking about.. i had the JS30WR back in the day, it wasn't that great.. decent for an entry level guitar but rumour has it these "JS32" models are wayy better? meh, not like i'm gonna buy one either way xD
    brandon-hammond
    that is a nice guitar, and you got it for $500, jackson is a good guitar company you can really play on the if you have a good amp, that can handle the power of the guitar
    swordsofplague
    Good_Lord wrote: Jackson are owned by Fender. That made me shiver ... Luckily most Jackson's guitars look better than any Fender.
    Jackson went in the shitter as soon as they were bought by Fender. The custom shop is still pretty mean, but if you're not shelling out serious bucks for a top-of-the-line one, you're probably gonna get a piece of crap. Old Jackson >>> New Jackson
    j-falafel
    This guitar actually costed $360 but L&M made me pay a fee for ordering it, and then picking it up, and shipping and stuff yknow...