KE3 Kelly review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Jackson: KE3 Kelly

Purchased from: Major & Minor Music

As a death metal/metal player this guitar does the trick and then some. It has a great feel to it and even though it came with some bugs they are all taken care of. It also has a crazy body shape. I'm using this guitar on a Peavey practise amp 15 watt dealey. I am using a metal zone pedal on it. I would have more different effects to use on this guitar but I got rid of all my pedals whan I baught an Emg for my last guitar and pedals f--ked with teh sound. The input has some problems with keeping the chord steady, and the volume knob crackles when you turn it. It's kind od noisy but not enough to mind. It has a great od/distortion tone to it, especially on the bridge setting. Clean it is too twangy. This guitar can make alot of cool sounds. I still want to replace the pickups though with Emg's.

Basicly, if the music store would have fixed teh dumb problems that are under warranty anyways, this guitar would be great for any style I feel liek playing. I was a little disapointed that it had dot inlays rather than the shark fins, but who cares about somthing taht stupid. This guitar kicks ass and it suits me. I have been playing for over 3 years. I have this guitar, a Peavey 15 watt, a Metal Zone pedal, and a Peavey Raptor Exp with emg 81 in the bridge. That's basicly it. I wished I would have asked some guys top stop smoking crack and look at the guitar's condirion before u sell it. If it got lost I would buy somthing else cuz I baught it on sale at a moving sale for like 100 off. I would probably look into a crazy ESP if this thing went missing. I just love the way you feel when you play it. I hate the beating teh music store put on this thing. It was supposed to be brand new dammit. My favourite feature is the body shape. its surprisingly comfortable to play in most positions, unless you hunch over it and the end digs into your ribcage. I was either going to buy this or an Epiphone white Les Paul taht looked an awful lot liek randy rhodes'. I chose this one cuz it was a bit cheaper and it couldn't hold me back from anything. I could use the bar and I had 24 frets. The Epiphone did however have a way more comfortable feel to it. Still this guitar's all I need, and alot of what I always wanted in a guitar so I'm happy. I wish it had a Jcm800 included in the package.

I could play this thing live with no thinkable problems, but first I need to sort out some of those stupid problems with it. The hardware is half cheap stuff, half good stuff, but if I get the one lock at the back replaced it aught to hold up perfect. The strap buttons were sturdy as possible without cracking the finish or wood. I belive I could for sure depend on it. Without a backup, though, might not happen, just because you can't trust strings. The finish seems strong enough to withstand basicly any playing, but it will tend to bump into doors and stuff so watch out.

Well, when I got the guitar, the damn thing had chips in the finish, because of the big body shape. The Jackson floyd rose was kind of piecey, because about a week after getting it the key at the back used to lock the string in the bridge was strepped very badly on the low e string. The floyd rose was also set up so taht you could only tune the guitar to Eb, not that that was a big problem because that is the basis tuning I use. The problem was that the springs were set so taht when you take pressure off of the bar, it will go back to one of 3 positions: in tune, slightly low, or slightly hight. That wouldn't even be a huge problem, unless your playing somthing like the end part of kerry king's solo in "Seasons In The Abyss" where the bar has to return to the exact note or it sounds like shit. The pickups were well adjusted. That basicly sums up the problems.

Made in Japan rescently, I got this 24 jumbo fret Jackson KE3 Kelly for 500 bucks. It has a fairly slim neck, but has a great design for a comfortable grip. The neck is bolt-on maple. The body is alder with flame maple veneer. The body is basicly a more sinister looking Gibson Explorer. Iy is Jackson floyd rose equipped. The pickups are passives. There is a 3 way selector and a volume knob. It is a dual humbucker with both humbuckers by Jackson. It is of course locking tuners. The bastards at the store jipped me and all they gave me was a box to carry it in.