Kevin Bond Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: Kevin Bond Rhoads

Purchased from: Local Dealer

This guitar play's amazingly good in a distorted setting, which is what you want this guitar to do. It powers out as much punch as the emg's in my LTD EC-1000 does, which kinda surprised me. I just love pumping up my Line 6 Spidervalve and making this beast scream like the monster it is! This is hands down the best guitar I've ever owned or played and it's worth every penny. it's sounds so badass and you're guaranteed stand out on stage, it's metal as f--k! However it does not sound as warm as my emg's in a clean setting, but when you're owning a guitar this badass you don't wanna play country do you? I'm thinking about replacing the pickup with a emg 81 in the future.

I play metal and this guitar screams metal as f--k! I love it to death, I even named it after my friends kid. I recently bought this guitar and a LTD EC-1000 and this one is my definite favorite. The fretboard plays so well, unlike anything I've ever tried before. I was a bit skeptical when I purchased this because I heard that the neck was thick but this is not true, the neck is a slim D-neck which is amazing to play. The only downside to this guitar is that it lacks some warmth in a clean setting and for some, only 1 pickup is a turn off. Me however, I only use the bridge pickup and for metal mainly, even though I have played a lot of Foo Fighters and other rock songs with it and it still sounds amazing.

I have no doubt that this guitar will withstand a Live show or 1000. The hardware seems very solid I can't imagine changing it for 20 years or so. The strap buttons are the best I've encountered so far, I don't need strap locks. The finish also seems very solid, they did a good job making this one. If you look at the specs this guitar does not vary much from the RR1t.

The guitar set-up was nearly perfect when I got it, no string action at all. The pickup was adjusted well as far as I can see, but I don't really know how to adjust one. I've had no trouble with the volume Switch eiter and the tuners hold the tuning forever. The intonation was also near perfect and I love the schaller bridge. I've switched to a thicker string gauge and I have some action now so I'll have to get that adjusted aswell as the truss rod.

Japan made solid, 3-piece, neck-thru mahogany construction is coupled with a single Seymour Duncan Iommi humbucker(Which I have yet to identify on SD's homepage).It has black hardware a stop. Ebony fretboard with pentagram inlays, 22 Jumbofrets with a scale length of 25.5. JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Schaller Fine Tuning Tailpiece. The guitar has only one knob and that's the volume knob, which suits me perfectly since I play mainly metal. I got no bag or case wiht my axe but that's my own "fault", I did however get some Tool which I don't know where to use.

Rautio
    They should make more of these black/bejeweled x colour -RR:s with FIXED bridges. Seems like Jackson's not improving as fast as its competitors. Even this model is many years old and discontinued.. and has pentagram inlays which might not appeal to everyone. I personally vote for more RR24 colours and fixed bridges. Such good-looking and well-performing guitars but lack options
    TastyTom
    I just wanted to take back something i said in the interview: The pickup does not have as much punch in it as an EMG, it sound kind of woody in a bad way and im going to replace it with an EMG 81 or maybe a Blackout SD. Other than that, exellent!
    metalonastrat
    this guitar looks very cool. however, it should come equipped with an sd blackout. also i find it impossible to play on any shape other than the superstrat.
    tcollacott
    I dissagree with TastyTom, I have A Bond as well and I absolutely LOVE the sound of the Duncan Iommi! Also, it`s a custom shop pickup not available to the general public as far as I can tell, (Scott Ian uses this pickup)...I`ve also heard it called an El Diablo as well. My suggestion to you Tom, if you`re absolutely set on putting in a EMG, you should go with the new Coil tappable model, I have a Shecter Hellraiser V1 with an 81 in the bridge and an 85 in the neck, both are coil tappable and sound AWESOME!!!
    Snake™
    How would you describe the neck on the guitar?
    TastyTom
    @Snake: It's a D-shaped, not too thin neck. It's very smooth and feels very right for this guitar. I ended up swapping the pu with a SD blackout which i now think is too hot. Im thinking about swapping it with a nailbomb ceramic. I still love this guitar btw and I'm never selling it!
    Arystar
    I own one and its ofcourse a great guitar, only i dont ahver the iommi humbucker anymore it got rusted a bit, so i changed it for a SD Jeff Beck SH-4 ...output much XD btw adjusting pickup is doen by turnign the screws om your pickguard and it will lower or rise, modifiy to own will, hiher gives alot more output though
    etolkien
    I love this guitar!! I replaced the Iommi Duncan with a Dimarzio d-Activator and it Rocks! I installed a single coil/humbucker switch and a blower switch with the idea of have more sounds, my Bond is not a "one trick pony" anymore!!!
    TastyTom
    Im still loving this guitar btw. It stays in tune more than any guitar i have owned. Still never selling this