KVX10 King V review by Jackson

Jackson: KVX10 King V

Price paid: A$ 850

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music Worx

I mainly play heavy music, and it suits me quite well. I don't really play thrash, but I could see this guitar being suited to it. I run my guitar through a computer, and it's producing less background noise than any other guitar I have. It's hard for me to comment on the tone because I use an amp sim, but if you're using a program such as Guitar Rig or Revalver, you will be able to tweak your presets to arrive at a very high quality distorted or clean sound. I am planning to replace the pickups with EMG's because the passive Duncan's aren't "hot" enough for my liking.

One thing I would like to add is that this guitar is "top heavy", when standing up it tends to dip downwards. This could be fixed with a good quality strap, I'm not sure. I have used this guitar in E standard, D standard, B standard, and Open C tunings, and each time I've been able to easily set it up to my liking with a few different string gauges etc. I'm very happy with this purchase and expect to be using this guitar for a long time.

I don't play live, however I see no reason why it wouldn't be suitable for it. The chrome hardware seems to be of a high quality, and the guitar generally feels very solid and durable despite it's light weight. I've knocked it around a bit and the finish has stayed perfect. It stays in tune very reliably even when using the tremolo a lot.

The guitar was not set at all when I got it. Tuning and adjusting the pickup height went smoothly and only took a short while. The action is able to be set very low with no fret buzz or yucky sounds. There were no visable flaws, everything was nice and shiny.

This guitar was made in Japan. It has 24 XJ frets, 25.5" scale with a bolt on maple neck. The V shaped body is made from basswood and has a black finish which so far hasn't got a scratch or chip to be seen. The passive Duncan Designed pickups fair quite well, lots of people complain about the neck tone, but so far I'm pleased with it - even with clean tones. The bridge pickup is solid, however I find that pinch harmonics don't "jump out" at you. The gig bag that came with it is very cool, black with red detailing and a picture logo. There is a volume and tone control with a 3-way selector. Knobs are in good order and not loose. This guitar comes with a "low profile" Floyd Rose, it's slightly different to the normal Floyd Rose in terms of how it sits in the body, but all-round it's very good. In fact, I prefer it. The one thing that is disappointing is that the shark-fin inlays are on the 1-22 frets like normal, but not on the 24th! I find it throws off the look of the neck, but it's only a minor issue.

NeoKlax
    RICHO666 : is it hard to reach down to the 24 fret area on that guitar ?? No.