KVX10 King V review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 5.8 Decent
Jackson: KVX10 King V

Price paid: € 450

Purchased from: Musicstore Germany

At the time, the reason this guitar was bought was because I had this odd moment for a while where I thought Dave Mustaine was the definition of a genius. I've since snapped out. When I bought it many years back, I was a thrasher kid, but thankfully, my taste has developed. My current style runs along the vein of Animals As Leaders and Chimp Spanner. I play mostly through a Vox AD30VT, which does fine, it was cheap and theres worse out there. The pickups are just awful. Truly. The neck pickup, when it deems necessary, just cuts out, which is nice, other wise it sounds faint. There's a wiring problem i'm sure! When run through a decent amount of distortion, the bridge is very crackly and noisy, which is fine when you're the angry metal kid but I like to cut back these days. The clean sound still sounds overdriven through the bridge, and is just...uck. The neck pick-up being faint doesnt allow much diversity either. You can keep this one for the metal, Ill stick to my Schecter for diversity thank you.

People go on about playing styles of music, but that constantly changes and you'll need a diverse guitar to fulfill that. This really isnt one. Its a loud, badly put together, cheap[er] substitution to a thrashy flying V. You're buying an image and a broken sound, not quality. This review was based totally off personal experience, other people might have gotten a stronger run of luck. I'll return always to my Schecter C-7. I wouldn't buy it again if I lost it or it was stolen, but I'd look for it. For all the abuse its caused, its still my baby. Think of it as a junkie kid, and you as the parent. You're not proud of your kid, you wish over and over again that things could be better, something bad is eventually going to happen, but ultimately, its your kid you know? You gotta love it. But not play it live. No. Thank you for reading.

I have gigged with this many times and its been fun. The neck pickup has a tendency to not work so when you flick the pickup selector to go for your tremolo picking highlight, you're left standing like a bit of a tool. The chrome on this guitar rusts incredibly easily so if its looked after, it'll be alright but chrome polishing is tedious. Good news though, the strap buttons have never failed me yet! Oddly enough, I would have gigged it without a back up before, it was fine, until one odd incident made me reconsider it. The jack came loose and the nut holding it in place became cross treaded, and quite difficult to re align, itt obstructed any use of a guitar cable so I had to get a backup, over something as un-noteworthy as that. The finish is fine, it can take a beating, thankfully.

The guitar was not set up very well at all honestly. The action was a nightmare. The neck was slightly warped, and so even after adjusting the truss rod, my solution was to angle the Floyd Rose back as far as it could go to even out the action, which defeats the purpose in having one. The pickups were adjusted awfully, the neck pickup has sunken into the body and the bridge pickup sat a little too high. The tone knob has a tendency to fall off by itself and the pickup selector is very loose. The jack also has a serious habit of loosening itself. For me, this guitar has been an experience from day one. Not a fun one though.

As far as I know, the KVX10 was built in the early 2000's. Its a Japanese made Jackson Flying V model that sports 24 frets, Duncan Designed pick-ups, an Alder body, chrome hardware, a string through body or a Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo [which I own], a three way pickup selector, a volume and a tone knob. It came with a bag of allen keys, a warning of the Floyd Rose antics to come! Not much in the way of features, a standard, entry-mid range Jackson. It was bought brand new.

Sakke
    Kain_Doom01 wrote: pataldo wrote: What are the advantages / disadvantages of a floyd? They are a pain in the ass to tune, they take forever to re-string, they can take over your playing style, they can put the whole guitar out of tune in 1 dive, depending on which you have, and they are VERY high matinence they make hitting high notes easier, they make a guitar look more professional, you can hond the guitar's weight with a good one, making tricks more fun, aaand...uhh...they up re-sell value
    Well, the licensed floyd rose doesn't necessarily up the re-sell value, but it interests young guitarists more than a tune-o-matic/string-thru bridge.. nor does it make the guitar look "more professional". I think that guitars without floyd rose tremolo systems can look as professional as guitars with them. About Licensed Floyds and tuning/re-stringing..I've had a Dean Vendetta 1F, which had a crappy Licensed Floyd Rose, it wasn't a pain in the ass to tune and it did not lose the perfect tuning after some mindless dive bombs or rips. It's more of a matter how you've set up your springs at the back. And re-stringing was quite easy, although it takes a lot more time to tune and set-up the strings than on fixed/tune-o-matic/string-thru, it's worth the effort
    Hells.Mascot
    Amuro Jay
    Hells.Mascot wrote: I have heard from a few Jackson lovers that this is a piece of poo dressed up nicely.
    As much as I loved my X series Jackson, this statement is sadly true. The pickups aren't that good and the trem is a pain in the ass. But if you replaced the trem with an OFR and got good pickups, these things would actually be pretty rad.
    sam.th
    The Kvx10 with the Alder body is made in 2008 (which has been discontinued) while the new ones or older ones are made from basswood