KX10D Kelly review by Jackson

Jackson: KX10D Kelly

Purchased from: eBay

As I mainly play metal music, this guitar is a peach. The Seymour Duncan's deliver a meaty tone for any metal song. Personally, I love a very high treble sound, and this guitar is absolutely perfect through a Fender 30 watt. I also run it through a Marshall Jackhammer pedal and a DigiTech RP-200, which is also very awesome. If anyone is familiar with Dragonforce, Herman Li's 'Pacman' noise is very easy to replicate with this Kelly. My other guitars are an Encore Strat copy, which is really really bad, and an ESP Viper series, which is almost as good as this guitar, but I prefer this to be honest, just for its tonal abilities. Perfect.

This guitar has metal written all over it. It's agressive looks are suited for chunky riffs and warp speed solo's. I've only had this guitar for a month and a bit, and I have already fell in love with it. I would definately get another if broken/stolen, or a would save up and get a new Dean model for 2007. The looks are probably love or hate, much like the B.C. Rich models, but once you set your mind on it, you can't take your eyes off it.

I would say that the Kelly could be gigged and it would be star of the show in a metal gig, mainly because out of nearly all the famous bands I have seen, I haven't seen one Kelly. The wood is a hardwood, so I am sure it could withstand the knocks and scratches of gigs. However, the glossy black finish shows up all minor scratches, and without repairs, it affects the quality of the finish. Also, the points are prone to having paint flasked off them, so when I bought it that was the case, but I easily filled them in.

When I purchased this, the guitar was setup perfectly. The Floyd Rose was set up perfectly, action was perfect, locking nuts were great. Humbuckers were awesome, althought the screws were quite rusted. Also, when it was delivered, the strings that were supplied were in a bad state, but the seller supplied a new set of Ernie Ball's which are still on now. Apart from slight finish quality, I couldnt have asked for a better guitar.

When I purchased this guitar, I was very pleased just with the listing on eBay. I have always been a fan of Jackson guitars, and I have played my fair few in the local shop. I was prepared to pay much more then 260 for a great deal like this! It came with the guitar itself, a Levy's strap which is extremely comfortable, and a Jackson fitted hardcase. I'm not quite sure how old it is, but it was made in this century. The Kelly has 24 jumbo frets, with a rosewood neck and maple headstock. Inlays are the traditional warped Jackson triangles in mother-of-pearl. Frets were shining, and no buzzing on any frets. It also has locking nuts, which a handy allen key was supplied to adjust them, and also a spare spring for adjusting. The unique body is made of alder I think, and comes in a variety of colours, but this one came in a glossy black. It has 2 Seymour Duncan Humbuckers, which are absolutely perfect. There is only one master volume control knob in chrome, and a black 3 way pickup selector switch. Has got a licensed Floyd Rose bridge which is real easy to set up, and I think that's everything about it!

MetalHammer93
    Also are they really as heavy (weight wise) as people say they are? I want to try one out but none of the shops around me have one in stock which is a bit of a bugger ...
    [B]C [R]ich
    haha my name may be bc rich...but yeah put down that crack pipe..jacksons destroy bc rich but bc rich is still pretty kool
    marcus6593
    yeah, do not buy a bronze series bc rich. decent ones are platinum and up. if you get one, you may want to change pickups and other parts if need be.
    slayerofsouls
    ilovebamboo wrote: Whats the cheapest Kelly i can get my hands on? I love the shape!! i was interested in the BC Rich Warlock too.. I can get a Bronze series cheap and i'll get it if i can't Jackson for a reasonable price. Is it possible to get a Jackson Kelly between $150-$230. probably not, but i spent all my money on an Epiphone and now i need a second guitar (and a sick one at that) cheers
    Do not buy a broze series Rich, I made that mistake one, stick with Epi's i haven't gone wrong with one yet...as far as an inexpensive jackson i got an Indonesian one for $200 and it doesn't sound too bad
    GunLeatherGuy
    Sure....they make a base Jackson Kelly called a JS30KE that is a string through body, bolt on neck etc....great guitar with nice wood everywhere...and when you want you can upgrade the electronics on it to make it sing. The OEM stuff is ok at best.
    ilovebamboo
    Seanold
    happy strummer wrote: trivium 666 wrote: hahahaha jacksons suuuuuck, b.c. rich till the end hahahaha hahahaha hahaha haha ha lol...Trivium fan dissing jackson and saying he likes bc rich...yet trivium plays dean... i like all three, Dean first, Jackson second, BC Rich third. BC Rich distant third.
    I like jacksons but I hate Deans;almost as much as I hate B.C. Rich Personally I think the best guitars for metal are Ibanez clsosely followed by ESP
    FenZ
    bc rich are just eye candy... jackson's > bc rich ..and that not just imo, that's just the way it s
    Phil oh yeaah!
    If any1 wants a band who play kelly's try THE AUTUMN OFFERING, oh man the whole BC rich thing is screwed. BC richs luk gud, but Jackson wipe the floor with them.
    happy strummer
    cleft11
    jackson is way better than bc riches, their set ups are really bad!
    DenHond
    Jackson is way better than BC rich
    trivium 666
    timbojones
    out of nearly all the famous bands I have seen, I haven't seen one Kelly. Marty Friedman used a Kelly
    As did Dave Mustaine in the early days
    Master of Dyer
    out of nearly all the famous bands I have seen, I haven't seen one Kelly.
    Marty Friedman used a Kelly
    cleft11
    ''I like the Kelly, but you can replicate the pac-man sound with just about anything with humbuckers.....'' that is true, but it sound even better with the Kelly. The weighting problem u mention isnt really a problem with mine, in some cases the truss rod may just be out or heavier than usual. or the kind of wood is lighter.
    Vrstone87
    I like the Kelly, but you can replicate the pac-man sound with just about anything with humbuckers..... Only problem with the Kelly is how it is weighted. *first*