PC1 Phil Collen review by Jackson

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 8.4 (39 votes)
Jackson: PC1 Phil Collen
0

Price paid: £ 2400

Sound — 10
Unlike a lot of guitars made for the hard rock market, this guitar is not a one trick pony, the PC1 offers a diverse range of tones and versatility, whether this be funk, pop, blues or hard rock/metal. The PC1 is a favorite among many Nashville Session players for this reason. The guitar sound is well balanced and does not lose volume when switching between pick ups. The guitar is very warm sounding and crisp. The sustainer is cool and allows you to hold a note for ever, very useful when playing the intro to "Foxey Lady" or "Parisenne Walkways".

Overall Impression — 10
If you are a Phil Collen fan, than this is the ultimate guitar, however if you are not a Phil Collen fan, then look no further, this is still the ultimate rock guitar. It looks cool, feels cool and sounds cool. The ultimate super strat. I have been playing for 15 years and owned many different guitars, this guitar without question is a keeper.

Reliability & Durability — 10
This guitar will last guaranteed, it is built like a tank, you instantly know the PC1 is worth the money you paid for it when you pick it up. The only thing that is likely to fade in the coming years is the gold hardware, however this is no different to any other guitar with gold hardware. Although Fender now owns the Jackson company, Jackson USA still continues to make top quality instruments.

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
The factory set up was good compared to other guitar makers, like all new guitars it is worth getting it set up by a professional guitar tech to benefit from the guitar's full potential. The natural wood finish is awesome, if like me you opted for the natural finish you won't have to worry about buckle rash or general paint flaws ever again. The neck feels slick and solid.The workmanship over all is top notch.

Features — 10
2011 model, Made in the USA, PC1 Phil Collen artist signature model. - Body Shape: Dinky - Beautiful maple cap and mahogany body - 24 jumbo frets - Fretboard Flame maple with rolled edges - Radius: 12" to 16" Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm) - Neck Material: Bolt-On Quartersawn Maple - Nut Width: 1.6875" (43 mm) - Scale Length: 25.5" (64.8 cm) - Strat shaped headstock - Pickup Configuration: H/S/S - Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio Super 3 Humbucking Pickup - Middle Pickup: DiMarzio HS2 Stacked Humbucking Pickup - Neck Pickup: Jackson Sustainer/Driver - 18-Volt Jackson Sustainer System - Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone, Intensity Control (for sustainer) - Hardware: Gold-Plated - Bridge: Floyd Rose Original Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo - Tuning Machines: Die-Cast Tuners - String Nut: Floyd Rose Original Locking Nut - Auxiliary Switching: Two Mini Toggle Switches - Sustainer/Driver On/Off Switch Fundamental/Harmonic/Blend Switch.

25 comments sorted by best / new / date

    Amuro Jay
    masterofpuppies wrote: If the setup needs doing again by someone else, it's not a 10.
    I disagree. Guitars have so much more potential (much of it based on preference) that can only be unlocked after a good custom setup. To slam a guitar based on how someone at some factory left it is a bit unfair. Like, what if you bought the guitar second-hand from someone who did a crap job setting it up? I think the score comes from the reviewer being able to unlock that potential, assuming the guitar has it. If it doesn't have it, or you can't get to it, then of course it doesn't deserve a ten. Because, let me tell you, I've run into quite a few guitars that had absolute shit playability out of the box that ended up playing better than guitars four times their price just after a good set up/tweak. My old Jackson being a prime example, a friend's Yamaha another.
    RockGuitarist09
    The_Vinson wrote: He probably doesn't want to admit he could've got the same sound and feel with a 1000$ guitar
    When you find a shred guitar with a baseball bat neck, bolt-on, an OFR, a sustainer and all of the brilliant woods used on this guitar for $1000 let me know.
    masterofpuppies
    I hate reading all 10's in every review - it makes it completely pointless. If the setup needs doing again by someone else, it's not a 10.
    Slaytan666
    Isn't Phil Collen that dude from Genesis? I think they named a car after him, too. (Troll)
    Lordi71
    okay this is kinda shallow, but.... I like the guitar but not he gold hardware!!! I despise gold hardware!! lol..
    RockGuitarist09
    Cannibal Koala wrote: Fernandes and their Japan line would like to have a word with you.
    I've had a look and can't find what i've described. Do you have a link?
    Spaztikko
    god, the other month i was offered the chance to buy a 1990s model for only $180. pissed. sweet guitar.
    Jfonzxxx
    If this guitar doesn't deserve all 10's.... than please describe to me one that does...
    gman128
    masterofpuppies wrote: I hate reading all 10's in every review - it makes it completely pointless. If the setup needs doing again by someone else, it's not a 10.
    True, especially on a guitar costing that much
    blackbird51
    this is a Jackson USA guitar people, there are no flaws. and people's perception of a good setup differ..some people like high action with absolutely no fret buzz, others like it low with a hint of fret buzz at the higher register on the lower strings, where most people don't play much to begin with..also truss rod adjustments differ from person to person as well.
    drug.me.2.hell
    ilikeroknroll wrote: Peterbaey wrote: All 10s..... Well, it does cost 2400
    Still absolutely overrated and overpriced.
    The_Vinson
    gman128 wrote: masterofpuppies wrote: I hate reading all 10's in every review - it makes it completely pointless. If the setup needs doing again by someone else, it's not a 10. True, especially on a guitar costing that much
    He probably doesn't want to admit he could've got the same sound and feel with a 1000$ guitar
    giftofflesh
    Amazing guitar, but shotty soldering for the sustainer. I have two PC1's and both needed to be repaired for that reason.
    Ibeanez
    masterofpuppies wrote: I hate reading all 10's in every review - it makes it completely pointless. If the setup needs doing again by someone else, it's not a 10.
    Every quality guitar is built with the intention that the buyer will have a setup done to their preferences. Also, it isn't that hard to build a guitar that gets mostly tens. It isn't rocket science, and we've been doing it for decades. We should pretty well have it figured out.
    stealstrings
    lol why do people automatically assume that just because it's rated all tens, it must be bad? Seriously people it's the owner/reviewer's opinion. And don't diss a guitar if you've never played it. How do you know if it's good or not unless you've actually tried it?
    KHINGPYNN
    Yeah I own one of these guitars it's the 42nd guitar I've owned... it's great... my favorite super start but really it's not a 10 on every level... a 9 out of 10 yes but not a 10.
    gerrygtr62
    As much as I love to have a PC-1, Schecter has the new Blackjack SLS with a sustainer & OFR, think I might opt for this, since it's $1000 less----
    Shaft No1
    I have had my '98 Solar from brand new, which has spent most of its life in the case, however even though I can't play a single song, I'm back having lessons again and loving this baby all over. It's now getting the pleasure it deserves. My tutor says it's a great guitar, I just wish I had his fingers!!
    RockGuitarist09
    Some 4 years later and I now own this guitar in the solar colour. I can safely say, it is worthy of all 10's. Got mine brand new for £1999.
    Cannibal Koala
    RockGuitarist09 wrote: The_Vinson wrote: He probably doesn't want to admit he could've got the same sound and feel with a 1000$ guitar When you find a shred guitar with a baseball bat neck, bolt-on, an OFR, a sustainer and all of the brilliant woods used on this guitar for $1000 let me know.
    Fernandes and their Japan line would like to have a word with you.