PS-2 Performer review by Jackson

Jackson: PS-2 Performer

Purchased from: Pauer Sound

I play heavy metal music mainly, meaning Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden. But, I do enjoy throwing some blues in there with Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Jackson is a versatile guitar in terms of it being entry level. With having three pickups, two being single coils, you can get a good variety of tones from it. The body being made of Alder already sort of tells you what it's going to sound like, it's a warm guitar and is light. With the maple neck giving it a bit of extra pop while the rosewood makes it lean more towards the warmer, fuller side. It's essentially a cheaper Kirk Hammett Signature guitar, and it sounds great. I used a Line 6 Spider IV 30 for all my metalness, but to really test the tone, I borrowed a friend's Blackstar amp (I don't remember the exact model, but it was a 60 watt), and it sang... For being a beginner guitar. A major downside is the fact that the bridge pickups blows. It's super high-output, so if you end up playing with the gain on 10, it's gonna screech like hell if you don't turn the volume down.

The guitar is great, it'll stand the test of time. There are some downsides, such as the pickups or not-so-thin neck, but it's still a quality guitar. If it was stolen, I'd hunt down the person that stole it with the fury of like... 7 men. I'd be pissed off, but I would definitely work my ass off to buy another one. These aren't produced anymore and it's my first guitar; I love it. I wish it had a pure FR, DiMarzio pups, a thinner neck, and Jumbo frets, so I'm going to work for that stuff. Good guitar, hands down.

The Floyd-Rose is durable, despite not being a pure FR. I've done countless dive-bombs on it, I've abused the hell out of it and it stays in tune. The pickups suck, they're too high-output, but I attack the guitar and they've lasted. Alder is a soft-ish wood, and because alder is soft-ish, the strap buttons stripped the screw holes of the wood and they fell out while I was practicing once. I've since gotten some more wood glued in there, still have to buy strap locks. All in all, the guitar is definitely dependable; it's over 15/16 years old for God's sakes.

The action was kind of high when I bought it, but it wasn't so high that it was cutting into my fingertips. I'm not so much of a guitar techy that I care about how the pickups are adjusted, but they were fine; they weren't hitting the strings or anything, so I was fine. The Jackson was practically new when I bought it, and I've had it for three years so it has suffered dings, scratches, and general wear and tear from constant dive-bombs. It still looks pretty great. A main problem I saw was the fact that the neck isn't as thin as I would like it, it's a bit too thick for me. Another thing is the small-ish fret wire. A redeeming factor with the neck is the fact that you can bend the notes like a maniac with it, but I can't really shred with it.

I did some research on it and I believe it was made in '96 with the other Performer Series Jacksons. It was made in Japan. Neck: - 24 Frets - 25.5" Scale - Rosewood Fretboard - Bolt-On Maple Neck - Dot Inlays - 1 11/16 Locking Nut - Jackson Tuners Body: - Alder Body - Passive Jackson Humbucker with two Jackson Single Coils (Don't know exact names, sorry) - Metallic Blue Finish - Super Strat/Dinky body type - Floyd-Rose/Jackson Bridge - Volume/Tone - Five-Way Selector

edenphotographyuk
    Just got one to try my hand at setting up (and playing) floyds - I was expecting a guitar on the same level as a Squier Showamaster but the PS2 is way better in every possible way imaginable, one of the reviewers didn`t like the high output Pups but they`re a lot better than the thin weedy affairs which set your teeth on edge and usually adorn this level of guitar (the showmaster being a prime example) . The Floyd needed fully stripping and cleaning but works fine after all that . the electrics use full size pots and poly capacitors (Hooray) but the switch is the usual Korean cheapo - funny how the socket on this one is scratchy too .. well this example had been abused but survived, I expected more fret wear than there was given the amount of playing it seems to have had (by the scum on the fretboard)and the fit and finish is more typical of 2000s Korean than 90s (better than expected) . recommended as a first Floyd but you may have to do some servicing and tinkering
    boboboski
    I just bought one today (ps-2 preformer) in red for $90 on ebay. It has some Fender® Lace pups in the neck and center and a Duncan Invader in the bridge. I can't wait to hear it. The tremolo was also upgraded to an "Edge III" Floyd. Not the best FR but good enough. Can't wait till tomorrow,7-17-15, to get my new ax and chop chop away eh.